• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New APC 50 Stabilised (1 Viewer)

" FULL SEASON ON 1 CHARGE
Experience unrivaled endurance with the APC 50 binoculars, boasting an impressive battery life up to 38 hours. What truly sets it apart is the ingenious APC mode, which extends its operation to cover an entire season on a single charge on average use. Unleash the power of the APC 50 and enjoy uninterrupted viewing year-round. "

38 hrs would be a fairly typical (albeit fairly intense) birding weekend on an overseas trip or during migration. The weight, FoV and price make it fairly competitive as an alternative to a travelscope, but it is a shame that 18x is the highest magnification available.

" FULL SEASON ON 1 CHARGE
Experience unrivaled endurance with the APC 50 binoculars, boasting an impressive battery life up to 38 hours. What truly sets it apart is the ingenious APC mode, which extends its operation to cover an entire season on a single charge on average use. Unleash the power of the APC 50 and enjoy uninterrupted viewing year-round. "

38 hrs would be a fairly typical (albeit fairly intense) birding weekend on an overseas trip or during migration. The weight, FoV and price make it fairly competitive as an alternative to a travelscope, but it is a shame that 18x is the highest magnification available.
Would assume that 38 hours is the time that the IS is engaged, which is only likely to be while the binoculars are being looked through. 38 hours of actually looking through binoculars is quite a lot longer than a weekend, although the amount of 'birding time' is likely to vary depending on the type of birding you're doing.

Looks like they've kept the same eye piece for the 14x and 18x like they did for the apc 42. A decent 61° afov in the 18x, less excellent 49° in the 14x.

They're all sold out. Seems to be par for the course these days. I find it hard to stay interested in things that are not actually available.

They're all sold out. Seems to be par for the course these days. I find it hard to stay interested in things that are not actually available.
It would be very odd to be sold out on the day of their launch so I'd assume the "sold out" banner on the webpage is in error and more probably means "not yet available". There's nothing like dangling a carrot just out of reach to get people interested!

Looks like they've kept the same eye piece for the 14x and 18x like they did for the apc 42. A decent 61° afov in the 18x, less excellent 49° in the 14x.
That makes the 18x50 the most interesting one to me.
(Just like the 16x42 appeals more to me than the 12x42.)
Considering the increased weight, I'm wondering if I wouldn't have preferred an optically upgraded 16x42 (ED, baffling).

Still, the 18x50 is way more portable than a 50mm scope with a travel tripod or monopod, thus very tempting. I now use my 50mm Opticron with a fixed 23x eyepiece. Thus the 18x50 sounds interesting. I would mainly have to see how long I'd be happy to hold them up to my eyes though: I hope the stabilisation compensates enough for the 'fatigue' the weight might cause.
I'm very curious about that and optics. Little doubt about it being sharp and bright (for its exit pupil). More curious about CA and glare etc.

Last edited:
:oops: If 19 hours per day is "fairly intense" what'd be "really going for it"?
I think it varies a fair amount, I remember a 20hr stint straight off of the plane in Borneo (having been awake already for approximately 12 hrs prior to landing), though 3 days with 9hrs sleep across three nights in Poland was about as hardcore as I've managed. As Andrew has mentioned, as this battery life refers to the amount of time the system is engaged, it probably would be sufficient for a week or two of fairly serious birding.

The objectives of the Kite APC 18x50 seem to be cut off as in the 42mm versions.
So the aperture is slightly less than 50mm.
Star testing will be affected by the cutoff.

Also it mentions 3 dioptres of eye difference.

2 degrees of compensation.

The weight is similar to the Canon 18x50 IS, maybe a bit less.

The field is quoted as 3.7 degrees, same as Canon, except my Canon 18x50 IS is 3.85 degrees.

So, an interesting binocular, but not something I need.

Regards,
B.

Comparing the Kite to my Fujinon TSX 14x40

I like the lower weight, extra 10mm, extra mag
but do not like the smaller FOV and higher cost

B&H have the TSX for $1100 now, guess they are not selling well -but a good price.
I will just keep what I have, but the Kite ISs are interesting

edj

I'm still waiting for something in the 10x or 12x range with a nice wide field of view. I don't understand how the fov of the higher magnification IS Kites is always better than the equivalent models with lower mags...

It would be very odd to be sold out on the day of their launch so I'd assume the "sold out" banner on the webpage is in error and more probably means "not yet available". There's nothing like dangling a carrot just out of reach to get people interested!
This is a tactic I see with items on Amazon all the time. It is quite annoying but it does seem to be a marketing tactic.

Comparing the Kite to my Fujinon TSX 14x40

I like the lower weight, extra 10mm, extra mag
but do not like the smaller FOV and higher cost

B&H have the TSX for $1100 now, guess they are not selling well -but a good price.
I will just keep what I have, but the Kite ISs are interesting

I got to try the TSX at last year's Birdfair. Optically much better than my Kite APC 16x42, but the weight is simply too much. The new Kites at least have ED glass, which should mean better optical quality (CA is very noticeable on the KIte 16x42 APC compared to the Sig-Sauer Zulu6 HDX 20x42 which uses the same Kamakura platform but with ED glass).

I see, so the strategy would be removable rechargeables but they dont seem to be recommended. I actually own some now that I think about it. Thank you.

Comparison of Three NEW 50mm stabilizing binoculars.

Vortex 15x and Kite 14x and 18x.

Common information:

Optical system: ED.

Field of view (m/1000m): 67m.

The anti-vibration correction angle: ±2 degrees.

Included accessories: Soft case, grip strap, neck strap.

ATERA II ED H16×50WP | ビクセン Vixen

https://kiteoptics.com/product/outdoor/stabilized-binoculars/apc-stabilized-50/

Significant differences between Vixen ATERA II ED H16×50WP - VS - Kite APC Stabilized 14x50 or 18x50 (using 2 x AA alkaline batteries) / Li-Ion (integrated, USB-C)

Magnification: 16x - VS - 14x or 18x

Apparent field of view: 59.2°(54.7° Compliant with JIS B7157:2003) - VS - 49° or 61°

Minimum focusing distance: Approximately 12m - VS - 5,5m

Pupil diameter: 3,1mm (maximum) - VS - 3,5mm or 2,77mm

Eye relief: 16mm - VS - 18mm or 15,5mm

Interpupillary distance: 57~72mm - VS - 57-76mm

Anti-vibration control method:
Equipped with 2-axis gimbal control system Vibration Canceller. Equipped with two types of anti-vibration modes that can be selected according to the usage scene. V1 mode: Absorbs small vibrations. V2 mode: Absorbs slow and large shaking. - VS - KITE OPTICS unveils 2024 the second generation of the Kite Dynamic Gimbal System (KDGS), propelling KITE OPTICS’ image stabilization performance to an unprecedented level. A KT 3.0 PROCESSOR EN SOFTWARE With the APC 50, you’ll encounter an unmatched level of immersion, feeling as though you’re right there with the object you’re observing. Thanks to the increased precision of KDGS-2, KITE OPTICS takes a significant leap forward in advancing its software. KT 3.0 delivers a unique viewing experience that mirrors the cognitive and visual patterns of the mind, effectively making the sensation of looking through binoculars vanish. Kite Dynamic Gimbal System (KDGS-2). The biggest difference is that the delay with which you view is enormously reduced and that the binoculars no longer have to search for stabilization of the image in the event of sudden movements.

Waterproof: IPX4 equivalent (optical system) / IPX1 equivalent (battery box) - VS - IPX7

Battery duration: Approximately 16 hours (using 2 x AAA alkaline batteries (new), 20℃) - VS - KITE OPTICS APC power saving functions : 38 hours (using 2 x AA alkaline batteries) / Li-Ion (integrated, USB-C) Battery fully charged = 30 hours power = up to 2 months intensive binocular use / up to 6 months average binocular use.

Tripod mounting: Not possible - VS - Yes

Size W×D×H: 108×206×73mm (excluding protrusions) - VS - 150x250mm

Weight: 840g (excluding battery (alkaline +23g)) - VS - 1014g or 1020g (w/o battery (alkaline +47g)) / 1009g or 1015g Li-Ion (integrated, USB-C)

Guarantee: 1 year warranty - VS - 30 YEARS 5 YEARS ON ELECTRONICS

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back