• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Eagle Optics Ranger and Eagle Optics Ranger ED (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

I noticed in the EO weekly mailing that the new Rangers now have dielectric coating on the prism: 8x32, 8x42, 10x42, 10x50 and 12x50.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars?query=Eagle+Optics+Ranger

I hadn't noticed the open-bridge Eagle Optics Ranger ED.

e.g. 8x42

Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm
Field of View 425 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 18 mm
Close Focus 6.0 feet
Weight 27.4 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 6.7 x 5.0 inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

Interesting as they seem to compete with the Atlas Intrepid but are $100 more expensive.

Very similar specs:

Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm
Field of View 420 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 17 mm
Close Focus 6.5 feet
Weight 26.6 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 6.5 x 4.9 inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

They're not in stock so I presume they are new but haven't had any delivered from the OEM.

No 6 x 32 with dielectric.. I wonder why? No 12 x 50 Ranger with dielectric either. The ED's also have dielectric prisms.
Bob

Last edited:
Yes, and check out the Vortex Talon HD--another clone, but without dielectric. Aside from armor color, it's indistinquishable from the Ranger.

The focus bridge on the Ranger ED and Vortex Talon look different than the rest of the Chinese clones. I wonder if they revised the focus mechanism? Eliminated the play and the wobble?

Underneath, though, I'm pretty sure they are all the same bin: Atlas, Ranger, Talon, Zen, Promaster and all the rest. ER might be increased a mm or so with revised cup design--smart move. Coating variations likely. FOV differences are probably just fudging. Increased weight is likely just extra rubber.

Probably a different manufacturer of the enclosure and OEM for the bin.

The extra weight is probably in the enclosure design not just the rubber.

As they don't account for eyecup depth in quoting ER I suspect the ER differences are optical design.

So I think these are bins made by a different make than the originals Chinese EDs.

As I understand it, it is the same design (same factory) as the Intrepid but in a slightly different enclosure. Vortex maintains it is "completely different", but I have some trouble buying that. The size and specifications are just too overall similar for this to be concidence. I also realize that what is inside does not necessarily relate to what it looks like outside. Since they had the Intrepid, I see no reason to redisign the wheel at that price point when all they had to do was add a bit to the Intrepid. Kind of like the changes between the ZR ED and ED 2, except put it in a little different enclosure, maybe tweak the focus, and viola', it is a different design. I place as much faith in "different" as I do the HD marketer speak.

Last edited:
Interesting, Steve. Thanks for the tidbit.

For only $100 more. Perhaps it's the same reason why people buy the top bin from the top four to get the name ;)

I bought the 12x50 Rangers & compared to the 7x36 Zen, they had too much C/A, not enough contrast & weak colors. Sent them back for BN Elite 7x26 & decided to let my high power glass be the Zen spotter instead.
I wanted to buy one of the smaller 6x32 or 8x32 Rangers, but am holding back to see what ZR comes up with (or get the Canon 10x30).

Wednesday 23rd February 2011 06:00
Kammerdiner
Yes, and check out the Vortex Talon HD--another clone, but without dielectric. Aside from armor color, it's indistinquishable from the Ranger.

The Eagle Optics Ranger ED and the Vortex Talon HD look to be badge engineered twins - right down to the positioning of the badges!

On the Eagle Optics site, both are listed as dielectric coated prisims,

However on the Vortex site, the Talon HD makes no mention of dielectric coated prisms (nor for that matter do any of their upscale models - the Viper, and Razor)

Curiouser, and curiouser.......:cat:

Chosun

The Rager and Talon are the same binocular just like the Raptor/Raven(Kingbird). According to the response to my direct question, the Talon HD is dielectric.

I noticed that EO left off the specs on the Talon ED but disclosed the specs on its Ranger ED. Purposely accidentally or an oversight?

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-talon-hd-8x42-binocular?tab=description#tabs

I looked up the specs and as Steve confirmed above, they are the same bins. Same specs listed on Vortex's Website for the Talon ED as EO lists for its Ranger ED. Same price on EO too.

Both are - Out of Stock - at EO. Not sure if they were ever - In Stock. EO often lists "out of stock" for new products not yet in stock. Probably still on the slow boat from China.

If the warranty is also the same, what would make a buyer choose one over the other? Color preference? Brand preference?

I've noticed that EO at sometime puts almost every bin it sells on sale. So unless you are want to be an early adopter, you might want to wait to see which one goes on sale first.

OTOH, I've also seen EO offer low introductory prices on some newly introduced bins (even other brands than their own) and then raise the price after the initial sales flurry has died down.

Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air (FedEx).
But where are the clones?
Quick, send in the clones.
Don't bother, they're (almost) here.

Last edited:
I noticed that EO left off the specs on the Talon ED but disclosed the specs on its Ranger ED. Purposely accidentally or an oversight?

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-talon-hd-8x42-binocular?tab=description#tabs

I looked up the specs and as Steve confirmed above, they are the same bins. Same specs listed on Vortex's Website for the Talon ED as EO lists for its Ranger ED. Same price on EO too.

Both are - Out of Stock - at EO. Not sure if they were ever - In Stock. EO often lists "out of stock" for new products not yet in stock.

+

The Talon HD* are back in stock @ EO

It would be nice to see what the differences are,
especially regarding the focus wheel

*HD = ED on these

Dialectric vs. Silver

It looks the same as ZEN ED 8x43 for $295 with their coupon or Atlas Intrepid for $350

Neither the Zen ED (not the ED2) or the Intrepid are dialectric, both are silver prisms. I have Zen ED2 and my wife has the Intrepid (I did get it on a rare sale for $289 from EO). Very similar under the conditions we were using them (Costa Rica rain forest). So basically you are paying $100 for the dialectric.

Last edited:
Posted earlier but just edited...was questioning the likeness of the talon and EO but now I see it. I must have been comparing to an older EO or one that is not ED glass...but I see the likeness now ..... sorry if you read and now I edited to reflect my 'mistake'....

Yes, the ED glass for both ....the glasses appear the same...... I like the Vortex Talon or EO Ranger 10 x 42..will most likely get one of these, probably the Vortex since it can be bought locally, jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back