• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Eyepiece - SDL4 (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the heads-up!
Sharper, brighter, no mention of field width, so I assume it’ll be the same. So bit narrow at the short end, opening up to. very useful width and then getting a little dim at the highest power. Be good to have a more detailed comparison of specs published?! If I was designing a new zoom I’d have asked for more field width, even if it meant a slight reduction in zoom range (I’d probably trim the low power end a little)

Peter

In a very short comparison between my SDLv2 and a SDLv4 today, I could see no difference. At times I thought the v4 may have a touch more contrast but when I looked again it didn't 🤷🏼‍♀️

In a very short comparison between my SDLv2 and a SDLv4 today, I could see no difference. At times I thought the v4 may have a touch more contrast but when I looked again it didn't 🤷🏼‍♀️
Boogieshrew,

I sent two MM4 with v3 zooms back because of chromatic aberration. I assumed it was the bodies, but with hindsight it could have been the v3 zoom eyepiece, so I am interested to see Opticron has replaced "one of the eyelens elements with ED glass to help reduce chromatic aberration". Did you ever see chromatic aberration with your v2 ? Did you see any with the v4 ?

Boogieshrew,

I sent two MM4 with v3 zooms back because of chromatic aberration. I assumed it was the bodies, but with hindsight it could have been the v3 zoom eyepiece, so I am interested to see Opticron has replaced "one of the eyelens elements with ED glass to help reduce chromatic aberration". Did you ever see chromatic aberration with your v2 ? Did you see any with the v4 ?
Hi 4john,

I've not seen any with my V2. Last year I tried my V2 against a V3 (both on my scope so no variables that way). My V2 was sharper than the V3. I put it down to sample variation. I'd rather have my sharp V2 with a touch less fov that a poorer view V3 with more fov.

I didn't see any on the V3 or v4 but I'm not prone to it and I don't induce it. I don't go looking for to avoid "training" my eyes to see it, if you see what I mean.

All the best

“The only change is to replacement one of the eyelens elements with ED glass to help reduce chromatic aberration.” From Pete at Opticron.

Peter
That is very interesting, as I have read some reports of CA with the sdl-v3 while I don't have CA with my fixed HDF-eyepiece.

Hi 4john,

I've not seen any with my V2. Last year I tried my V2 against a V3 (both on my scope so no variables that way). My V2 was sharper than the V3. I put it down to sample variation. I'd rather have my sharp V2 with a touch less fov that a poorer view V3 with more fov.

I didn't see any on the V3 or v4 but I'm not prone to it and I don't induce it. I don't go looking for to avoid "training" my eyes to see it, if you see what I mean.

All the best
Boogieshrew,

Thanks for the reply. Like you I don't go looking for CA and I don't want to learn how to induce it. That was why it was such a shock to see it so badly with the both of the two MM4 bodies and the same SDLv3 I tried. With hindsight I should have tried a few SDLv3 - that might have fixed the problem, allthough as
Opticron is now saying that the v4 has an ED element "to help reduce chromatic aberration", it might not.

I think sample variation plays a big part, possibly outweighing differences between versions. My V2 was distinctly better than the V3 I compared it with last year. Sample variation is the only reason I can think of to account for that.
Having said that a new ED element is surely an improvement for the V4 and one that I could not see in my very brief comparison last week. It will probably only show over time and use in certain conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back