• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old HDF Eypiece Identification (2 Viewers)

Lincs Mike

United Kingdom
Hi,

I have am MM4 60 with the SDL v2 zoom. Like many it seems I wanted to try a fixed eyepiece, so I took a punt on one on e-bay. It looked quite old and I had some doubts about it fitting the MM4. But it does, so thats good!

Not tried it in the field yet, but is appears reasonably bright and gives a wider field than the SDL2 zoom, so all good.

Markings on it suggested it gives 28x on HR60/HR66, so assumed it would give similar on the MM4 60, but I have the feeling its short of that. So can anyone identify its vintage and number, such that I can find the focal length? It looks older than the ones I can find on a google search.

Photo attached (hopefully)20240118_212218.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Yes I think 23x too. It's a nightmare CE eyepiece and I like 23x, not too low, not too high.
Having said that I love the 17x ep on my MM4 so right and wide.

Edit- not "a nightmare CE eye piece". It's a nice eyepiece. Predictive text strikes again!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I probably should have realised it would be 23x, but looked so visually different to the current 40831.

I guess it must be at least 20 years old, is it likely to be much inferior to the current version? I have not had it out in anger yet, but still seems decent to my inexperienced eye.

If it gives you good views then enjoy. I’ve gone birding with only the 23x and not found I was missing much… didn’t even use my binos that trip, just the 23x. Depends where you’re observing of course.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back