• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Gitzo heads "designed for birdwatching" (1 Viewer)

The GH1720QR has been available un the UK for some months already. This head is also being used by Leica ontheir Leica branded tripods. This head cost about £180 in the UK

The GH1720QR has been available un the UK for some months already. This head is also being used by Leica ontheir Leica branded tripods. This head cost about £180 in the UK

The Leica tripods use a version of the G2180 (Leica DH1) which IMO makes them look much cheaper than the original, although the mechanics appear to be the same. I've used the original Gitzo G2180 for some years and its a great head. I'll be interested to see the new heads but they'll have to go some for me to switch from the G2180.

I don't usually like to be a guinea pig, but the 2720 looks so good for my purposes that I just pre-ordered one through my local dealer, sight unseen and I don't even know the final price. Manfrotto-USA said the list price would probably be $350-400 with arrival in the US later this month.

I don't usually like to be a guinea pig, but the 2720 looks so good for my purposes that I just pre-ordered one through my local dealer, sight unseen and I don't even know the final price. Manfrotto-USA said the list price would probably be $350-400 with arrival in the US later this month.

What tripod will you be pairing with the 2720?

I'm hoping it can replace a Gitzo G2380 head for supporting 8-10 pound scopes on a Gitzo GT3530 tripod. The load capacity spec is 2 pounds more than the 2380 even though it weighs half as much. If it's not up to that it will replace a Manfrotto 128LP on a Gitzo GT2530 for scopes in the 3-6 pound range. Since it uses the same QR plate as the 2380 moving scopes from one head to the other will be nice and easy.

I think when looking at upwards of US$300 for a head, a gimbal is much more attractive option. Benro and Jobu Design make relatively lightweight models capable of supporting 5kg loads with long moment arms. Properly balanced, nothing beats their one finger touch movements throughout the altitude range with no re-adjustment of the drag.

Rick

Rick,

Yes, the Jobu Black Widow Jr.3 looks comparable in price, weight and load capacity. Have you used a gimbal head for high magnification telescope viewing? I confess to complete ignorance. I've only looked at the pictures and been suspicious that those long offset yokes and arms would have too much vibration for really high magnification.

Henry

Henry, other than trying them out at optics events, I don't use a gimbal but they are becoming very popular among digiscopers here now that prices and their weight/sizes have fallen under $400 and 1kg.

I currently use the Gitzo G2180 (which I recall reading their sales literature Gitzo also designed for birding!) with my Kowas which when balanced gives gimbal-like movements. It works well enough for me in daytime for digiscoping at ~6000mm focal lengths (180x?), but have no idea how it will do under the stars at that mag though the scope at 60x is just fine. The key is to use a long slide bar rather than the postage stamp-sized plate that comes with it to achieve perfect balance.

FWIW, both BORG and Kenko sell small/lightweight alt/z mounts with slo-mo controls using the gimbal principle. I have used the tiny BORG version with their 101ED under the stars and it worked suprisingly well. The Kenko is more robust and given its ~$150 cost here would probably be my #1 small scope choice if weight/portability were not major concerns for me.

Rick

the new head from gitzo is very good i think, some of the post here are comparing these to the kenko en gimbal heads, but the new gitzo head is for birdWATCHING not for photo's , please stop with comparing those.

Pimpelmees, do I understand correctly that you have personal experience with this 2720? If so, can you compare it with the G2180?
- Wim

"...the Single Lock System"

"These innovative cartridges guarantee a ultra smooth and controlled movement at very low speed (exactly what Bird Watchers are looking for), while at high speed the movements become almost completely free"

Single lock?
Does this mean one dial/clamp locks both altitude and azimuth, at the same time?

Damped at low speed and free at high speed? Is there a clutch involved?

Anybody know? Does the 2180 work the same way?

The most complete information I've found is here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...o+2720&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

You need to download the PowerPoint data sheet linked at the top of the page to see the photos and a very simple diagram of the "single lock" system which looks a bit worrisome since I can't see any way to adjust the amount of pan and tilt drag separately. Hopefully there is something there I can't see. I found a dealer price of 395 Swiss Francs including VAT ($345).

OK, it does look like one knob locks both axes. This might be good, depending on just how well it works. Not being able to adjust the damping of the two axes independently (initially) doesn't sound so good.

The Powerpoint blurb doesn't say anything about the low speed/ high speed feature.

Another minor point. I really wish Gitzo, and others, would just adopt the Arca-Swiss dovetail standard. It is ubiquitous in the photo world and IMO superior to the myriad proprietary plate quick releases out there.

Single lock?
Does this mean one dial/clamp locks both altitude and azimuth, at the same time?

Damped at low speed and free at high speed? Is there a clutch involved?

Anybody know? Does the 2180 work the same way?

I have a 2180, and got to play with the new heads at the CVL annual optics day thing a couple of months ago.

The new heads have a single lock for pan and tilt, unlike the old one which has individual locks placed together [tilt dial around the pan dial] so you can either adjust singly or together without having to move your hand.

The new low speed / high speed feature is a property of the fluid in the fluid cartridges [a new invention] and does indeed work as stated. This is an improvement on the old head, though not an enormous one.

The new heads have a more Manfrotto style handle [which can be removed or reversed, as with the old heads] and a slightly easier to use QR system, but don't have a counterbalance.

I've bought the GH1720 which I use on a GT90TT traveller tripod that I leave at my son's house in Switzerland (budget airlines on the whole are brilliant but less so when carrying a load of birding gear.) I also have the GH2720 which I use on my Gitzo series 2Traveller when at home. After only a few days use I have consigned my G2180 to the never to be used again department and will get a colleague to sell it on ebay for me. I heartily recommend either of the two heads. The single bezel operation is superb and affords excellent control. My Leica Televid 82 is comfortable on each setup but I must say I prefer the extra sturdiness of the Series 2 combination. Hope this is helpful to potential purchasers. I have found many posts on the different forums very useful and have now joined as a new member. Regards

I've bought the GH1720 which I use on a GT90TT traveller tripod that I leave at my son's house in Switzerland (budget airlines on the whole are brilliant but less so when carrying a load of birding gear.) I also have the GH2720 which I use on my Gitzo series 2Traveller when at home. After only a few days use I have consigned my G2180 to the never to be used again department and will get a colleague to sell it on ebay for me. I heartily recommend either of the two heads. The single bezel operation is superb and affords excellent control. My Leica Televid 82 is comfortable on each setup but I must say I prefer the extra sturdiness of the Series 2 combination. Hope this is helpful to potential purchasers. I have found many posts on the different forums very useful and have now joined as a new member. Regards

Welcome and thank you for an excellent first contribution. As a current G2180 user (with a Leica T82 like yourself) I'm now keen to look at the new head, although it will have to go some to beat it for me. I'm not yearning for a single action system head, but I wont know until I try at the Birdfair in August. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back