• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new here (1 Viewer)

ickle_vicki

Hi everyone

I'm a keen birder and am normally on the bbc bird site and heard this is a good place to come.

Are there many 19yr old (nearly 20) girls who are keen birdwatchers? none of my mates are interested!!! everyone i know who likes birds is a lot older than me!

Vicki

Hi Vicki

well as someone who is a positively ancient 40 :-C welcome to BF.

There are quite a few youngish members around

Hi Vicki, welcome to Birdforum from another ancient 40 yr old. I expect some of the younger members will be around later to say hello.

Hi Vicki,

Welcome to Birdforum from all the Staff here!

I'm sure there must be some in your age group; maybe not that local to you though :)

There may be some younger birders in your local bird clubs or naturalist societies.....meanwhile, enjoy the site, I think we have plenty to offer to all!

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Vicki and welcome,
In what now feels like a former life I used to do a lot of volunteer work for the WWT and meet quite a few girls of your age that were keen birders so there are some out there!
Gwynn

ickle_vicki said:
Hi everyone

I'm a keen birder and am normally on the bbc bird site and heard this is a good place to come.

Are there many 19yr old (nearly 20) girls who are keen birdwatchers? none of my mates are interested!!! everyone i know who likes birds is a lot older than me!

Vicki

Hi Vicki - here's a link to another thread that asked the same question.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=24294

BirdForum honchos - how about a forum titled Young Birders? I'm still a toddler on this site so have no idea what it takes to get that going. Barbara

OK, we will let you bird at 19, but just don't start planting gardens for birds like some of us old folks.

You might not find birders among your frineds, but someone will like the outdoors. The young people can't all be at the shopping mall. Good luck.

Hi,Vicky,welcome to BF,sorry,I am another "golden oldie",but as has been suggested,try your local bird clubs,or an advert in your local paper may help.

Hay Mods!

Couldn't one of you start a forum like Ruffled Feathers for the younger in age group if they would like it?

personally I enjoyed the experience of older birders when I was younger!
Mind you I'm learning from all age groups!

But if they all want to gather together occasionally why not?

Eagle

Hi Viki , Im a very new member as well, and it seems to me this BF is full of oldies
and not to many youngie. hay lets face you are a "rare bird" ha ha.

ickle_vicki said:
Hi everyone

Vicki
HELLO VICKI NICE TO HAVE YOU ON BOARD,DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOU AGE GROUP ,EVERYONE HERE IS A FRIEND NO MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE .

Eagle said:
Couldn't one of you start a forum like Ruffled Feathers for the younger in age group if they would like it?

personally I enjoyed the experience of older birders when I was younger!
Mind you I'm learning from all age groups!

But if they all want to gather together occasionally why not?

Eagle

oh i'm not complaining about the older people - its great to get the experience, it just dissapoints me that younger people do not consider it 'cool'. some of my friends do not know the different between a coot and a moorhen or that there are different sparrows!! how sad is this?

I love nothing more than a good chat with anyone about birds.

Tero said:
OK, we will let you bird at 19, but just don't start planting gardens for birds like some of us old folks.

lol! back home (i'm at uni) i keep pestering my mom to plant plants that birds like! they enjoyed my blackcurrents/blueberries this summer which were NOT meant for those naughty little blackbirds!

ickle_vicki said:
oh i'm not complaining about the older people - its great to get the experience, it just dissapoints me that younger people do not consider it 'cool'. some of my friends do not know the different between a coot and a moorhen or that there are different sparrows!! how sad is this?

I love nothing more than a good chat with anyone about birds.
Unfortunately I don't think it's just younger people who think taking an interest in birds is a bit anorakish. Don't let them put you off, as I'm sure you won't.

I'm 56 and have only been birding for 18 months. I wish I'd started at your age. I could weep at all the exotic places I've been to in the world and hardly noticed the birds, let alone all the experience I could have biult up by now just in the UK.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back