• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Monarch M7 8x30 - release date Oct 2021 (1 Viewer)

M7 - M7new - MHG

Locking diopter adjustment M7new - MHG​

Attachments

• M7 vs m7new vs MHG.jpg
    M7 vs m7new vs MHG.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 98
  • locking-diopter — 11.jpg
    locking-diopter — 11.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
The new M7 has 15.1mm ER which is disappointing. I was hoping it could be my backup binocular, but it has
1mm less ER; Monarch HG has just barely enough ER for me at 16.2mm.

But I think the ER is unchanged in the new models... at least

There is always the old law... wide afov, good eye relief, compact eyepiece... choose any two...

Joachim

Being a big fan of the "old" Monarch 7 8x30 I must say I find the new design just sensational. So much so, that I prefer it over the MHG (that it's nice, OK, but I've always found it a bit too... how to say it... I think I'll better quote Roger Vine: "a bit too ‘executive’ for my tastes" :D I personally find the new design more understated, which is something I love in binoculars, something like what Opticron usually does... but then I like Skoda cars.

I can hardly wait for someone to put them through their paces against the old Monarch 7 8x30 and see what has been improved in real life. Given the bloated price... if there hasn't been a clear advance in some areas (other than aesthetics) a discounted "old" M7 can still be a great performer at amazing value.

Being a big fan of the "old" Monarch 7 8x30 I must say I find the new design just sensational. So much so, that I prefer it over the MHG (that it's nice, OK, but I've always found it a bit too... how to say it... I think I'll better quote Roger Vine: "a bit too ‘executive’ for my tastes" :D I personally find the new design more understated, which is something I love in binoculars, something like what Opticron usually does... but then I like Skoda cars.
totally agree with you here

I can hardly wait for someone to put them through their paces against the old Monarch 7 8x30 and see what has been improved in real life. Given the bloated price... if there hasn't been a clear advance in some areas (other than aesthetics) a discounted "old" M7 can still be a great performer at amazing value.

I think the ~25% increase in price would be worth it even if it was the same binocular with a much better rubber coating, though I don't like the increase in weight. It is still very lightweight, but the old 8x30 was best in class at 435 grams. The new M7 is slightly heavier than the Maven B3 and Opticron Traveller.

When first looked through the M7 8x30 I had my Optolyth 12x50 and my old Bausch and Lomb 10x42 at the time. And I remember thinking, why would anybody want better than these. Upgraded all my bins now, still think the view from the M7 8x30 is excellent. I paid £259, bargain.

I tried Monarch 7 8x30 two years ago. The format is good and optics excellent.
Unfortunately the eye relief is not sufficient for me to get a clear and open view with eyeglasses. I wish the new version had better eye relief instead of wider field of view, which is already good.
Actually not even Monarch 7 8x42 was sufficient when I tried it at the same time.
To a certain extent due to unnecessary long distance between the eyecup edge and the eyepiece lens.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble figuring out what this means.

Can you tell me what it means to you?
Well, for me it means pretty much what the Cambridge Dictionary says: relating to making decisions and managing businesses, or suitable for people with important jobs in business

That pretty much sums it up for me, it looks as something a busy CEO would wave out of the glove box of his/her flashy car, something to match his/her executive attire. Sometimes the best way to try and describe something is to look for the opposite: an Opticron Traveller, a Zeiss FL, a Kowa BDXD II, to name a few binoculars with (to my eyes anyway) a much more understated look.

Said that, I don't exactly know what Roger Vine means by those words, but the above is my take, and I remember when I first read Vine's review, I found the description to be spot on.

Well, for me it means pretty much what the Cambridge Dictionary says: relating to making decisions and managing businesses, or suitable for people with important jobs in business

That pretty much sums it up for me, it looks as something a busy CEO would wave out of the glove box of his/her flashy car, something to match his/her executive attire. Sometimes the best way to try and describe something is to look for the opposite: an Opticron Traveller, a Zeiss FL, a Kowa BDXD II, to name a few binoculars with (to my eyes anyway) a much more understated look.

Said that, I don't exactly know what Roger Vine means by those words, but the above is my take, and I remember when I first read Vine's review, I found the description to be spot on.
Thank you.

Nice. I might get a pair of these. The last generation were my first pair of binoculars ever. They were 8x42s. I might go for a pair of 8x30s. Nikons are awesome.

Thanks Zzzzzz for the news and table, others for news.

The four M7s now have the same FOV as the corresponding HGs except that in the 10x42 it is 6.7 vs 6.9 deg. (Remember, for field width, in m or ft at 1000 m or yards, Nikon still apply the ISO formula even to non-flat-field models, for some reason, and not the simpler real FOV x mag.) Close focus and eye relief remain different.

In the M7s clarity (sharpness, contrast, CA, glare control...) has not been improved: see Nikon's reply on this in the Comments below the video linked in post #1 here. For myself I hope this has happened in the M5 12x42; I cannot gather that from Nikon's website. The previous model offers no detail beyond a very good 10x for most users. Awaiting reports!

Nikon bins finally get some decent "curb appeal"! NICE to see that. Simple, classy styling. No swoops nor swooshes on the armor, unnecessary shapes or curves, nor ugly branding. I like that. Take a page from Opticron. I may just try out a pair of 8x30s.

I think the M7 is better than most regarding sharpness and clarity, as compared to others in that price range, for example much better than the terror models.

In my previous post I compare the new M7s vs the old M7s, not anything else, in clarity. I gather the M7 range was and is fine value for money. Apart from the optical parameters like FOV the new M7s are improved in having more protective outer coatings on the lenses.

I copy that reply from Nikon Europe: "The new M7 when compared with the Monarch 7 binoculars becomes easier to use due to the tripod mount, and the Dioptre adjustment ring locking system, allowing for fewer adjustments every time you use them. The M7 also have oil and water-repelent coating, which makes it easier to clean the elements from smudges, like fingerprints."

Adhoc, I sure hope they improve the eyecup movement on the last model M7s, I take it those are the ones you are comparing the new ones to?

[...] In the M7s clarity (sharpness, contrast, CA, glare control...) has not been improved: see [...]
Maybe I should not have added glare control there. This might possibly be better now, as a result of the optical redesigning, or treatment of internal non-glass surfaces... Note that I am not saying the old M7 line had a significant problem with glare control, or indeed those other qualities! Please note also that my statement (quoted) rests entirely on that reply by Nikon Europe to a question by a viewer of the video.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back