• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Pentax VD Series Binocular/monocular (1 Viewer)

Paskman

I see that Pentax have just introduced a binocular that converts to both a monocular and a telescope. It's an interesting concept that follows on from their Papillo's

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/binoculars/v-series/special/vd4x20sp.html

7077abd43ad88b6bdc75175f2dda68a2.jpg
01222399a707c2ee99d87368307fd522.jpg
6b58b5fee29fe87d60368d5e1b39ab65.jpg
4ed2f1f3395080e25c6d568655e1ed32.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting and original concept indeed, but I am not sure if many people are going to find it useful in practice. Also Pentax binos have rather narrow FoVs and the new 4x20s have an AFoV of only 40*.

Interesting....I like this idea. I can see someone interested in stars, nature...niking etc....as this would be a perfect portable little gadget.....

Interesting product, and it's nice to see a new / different concept. Perhaps I'd rather have a center focus 4x20 with a good field of view, the 40 degree AFOV and (apparently not fixed but rather) independent focus makes these less interesting...

This is one of 2 new V series products recently released by Pentax (there is also a 6x18 monocular/ 18x microscope)
see at: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/binoculars/v-series/

It’s a 4x20 roof prism binocular that separates to become:
- two 4x monoculars, or
- one 16x monocular

For convenience I've attached a copy of the specifications and some images

John

Attachments

• Specifications.jpg
    Specifications.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 4x20 Binocular.jpg
    4x20 Binocular.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 20
  • Two 4x20 Monocular.jpg
    Two 4x20 Monocular.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 16x Monocular.jpg
    16x Monocular.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 4x20 optics.jpg
    4x20 optics.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Anyone tried this VD 4x20 ?
How much CA in center/edge, sharpness ?
My 2 ct:
no CA in center, very little at the edge.
Good sharpness over almost the entire field.
The use as a monocular (I mean 2 monoculars😉) is equally satisfactory.
The use as a 16x20 telescope is restricted to bright daylight, plus the image exhibits some CA.
Canip

I have zero problems with eye placement. Overall comfort and handling is good; what is slightly unusual is that you focus individually at the front end of the tubes, not at the eyepieces. But focusing works fine, and at 4x, I have to refocus less often than with a 6x, 7x or 8x bino.

The stable and sharp image of this 4x bino was a revelation. We are not used to 4x anymore (remember the wonderful early „Carl Zeiss 4-fach“?). Of course, you would today not use a 4x to replace your usual birding bino (it‘s ironic that two weeks ago, I had only the VD with me when I had my first sighting of a pair of kestrels mating in a cherry tree about 150 meters ahead of me - at least, the 4x was sufficient to firmly identify the birds).

fwiw Canip

What's size of ocular (eye) lens ?

(remember the wonderful early „Carl Zeiss 4-fach“?)

yes. (Soviet copied versions of it too).

Of course, you would today not use a 4x to replace your usual birding bino (it‘s ironic that two weeks ago,

I has Zen-Ray ED 7x36 & 7x43 , image is nice, with low CA, but weight & size is not for small bag.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back