• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New scope, big tripod problem (1 Viewer)

Bwana1

I received my Celestron Regal M2 65mm, and madly dashed out the door 300 miles to the back-country...to find out my tripod is a piece of garbage, pure junk POS that doesn't deserve the effort to throw it away.

What did I learn ?, I need a higher level of weight tripod,,,and a REAL head. The image shook like a puppy in a cold rain storm, the head fell constantly and jumped/twitched/rollerballed/slid/collapsed/jerked/stuck...well, you name it :C It totally destroyed the experience of my new M2, and left me scanning 400-500 yards with my Zeiss Classics.

So :hi:
After considerable reading, and product searching...I'm begging for advice(again), and look forward to all members blowing my budget out the door(again) ;) My scope weighs 3lb/ 1.3kg, really don't need more than 40-50" max height.

I'm more than a bit confused by the market offerings, and the selection availability is overwhelming. As I pack my equipment into location, weight and folding size are critical...and I exclusively sit in all spotting sessions(hiding in the weeds/undergrowth, bonding with the ticks and local snakes.

Tripod:Carbon is fine, but not mandatory, 2.5-3lb, folding size of 14"-18", flip-lock, weight hook. Is there a "magic" formula for the scope weight/tripod load capacity ratio ? Can I "walk the line" with a 5lb rig, or is 10lb better ?

I'm thinking like this:Slik Pro 624 CFL
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1060519-REG/slik_611_624_pro_624_cfl_carbon.html

Head:It appears I want a fluid head, 2 way(I don't need tilt)...sometimes called a video head ? Do I want adjustable drag ?, is bigger(weight capacity)better/smoother ?

I'm thinking like this:Manfrotto 128RC QR
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553886-REG/Manfrotto_128RC_128RC_QR_Micro_Fluid.html

I have built a list of potential winners, but certainly could use some expert advice.

Thank you,
Eric

Last edited:
IMHO, and coming from my experience as a photographer, when it comes to tripod and heads, its 'Buy nice, or buy twice.'

So go straight to a carbon fibre model, go a bit higher spec to allow for extra weight if you do digiscoping or possible expansion into a 82mm or 95mm scope in future.

I just bought a Sirui VH10 head and I quite like it. I was using the ballheads and Gimbal from my photography gear, and those doesn't work well for scopes, especially the ballhead are clumsy. I guess there's good reasons why most birders eventually ended up with video fluid heads or those nice and expensive specialty birding heads from swarovski and gitzo. I went with a more conventional video head because I can use it in other genre of work and its easier to sell off too if I wanna get rid of it.

The 128RC is quite heavy at 900 gr ,..i own it but seldom use it in the field for that reason..i am using a large ball head these days until i can find a 700RC that weights 450 gr..

I use both the 128RC and the 700RC2. I think the 700 is all you need for your 65mm and it's half the weight.

You might want heavier legs though. The Slik looks more like a compact travel tripod. You might find them a little too shaky for your Celestron which is pretty big for a 65mm scope. With the RC2 it would reach 47" which is your target height.

Hopefully others can weigh in on legsets.

Mark

Thank you all for the replies and information.

I've decided on the Manfrotto 700 RC fluid head.

Now the tripod debacle:
If I go light & small, can a counter balance weight bag secure for stability ?...or should I just go heavier(even a aluminum)to offset the weight of the M2?

I've narrowed the choices down to these 3:
Slik Pro 624
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1060519-REG/slik_611_624_pro_624_cfl_carbon.html
Monfrotto 190go!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1128583-REG/manfrotto_mt190goatb_190go_aluminum_tripod.html
Sirui T-1005X
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...RT1005_T_1005X_5_Section_Aluminum_Tripod.html

Thoughts ASAP please, I have exactly 50 minutes from this post time to order...or not receive items before I leave on next trip

Last edited:
Warning: The Slik is too low at 43" max height, is yours an angled scope or straight? If straight, it doesn't work unless you are doing a half squatting position all the while while using the scope. You want it to come to eye level when you stand comfortably. If it angled, it might be used at its maximum height, which means the center column fully extended, might wobble a bit in the wind.

The answer is obvious, Sirui T1005X or if you can extend your budget and buy something nicer:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822142-REG/Sirui_BSRT1205_T_1205X_5_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

Will be super stable, yet compact since is also 5 sections, you can use it for photography too.

Last edited:
OK even though it's bigger and heavier I'd go for the Manfrotto.

I've seen the Sirui in carbon and it struck me as just too light for a scope, even for my little ED 50 scope. Since the Slik weighs the same, I'm guessing I wouldn't like that for a scope either.

I use the 190 CX3 in Carbon and it works great. With the 700 RC2 it weighs 4.1 pounds, which is about what your combo would weigh. Works great with my Meopta 82mm.

Did we make it in time??? :eek!:

Mark

I am using the Sirui 1204, which is similar to the 1205 except it is 4 sections instead of 5, the head will give it a few inches height boost, and for my straight scope, I am using it at max extending when I am standing. I get around 59-60" with the scope mounted, I am 5'7". It is acceptable although I prefer my Sirui 3204 (but its bigger, not for travel). For angled scope, the 1204/1205's height it will be perfect.

Sirui has higher weight ratings than other brands (still not a good idea to load close to its max specs), Manfrotto have conservative ratings (and usually can take a bit more). My experience with Sirui had been good, I had loaded heavier stuff on it and its fine, Nikon 65mm fieldscope with D700 and #7468 adaptor, plus the Sirui VH10 head. Before getting into birding, I had been using this Sirui 1204 professionally as a wedding and commercial photographer, abusing it for 5 years plus, never treated it well, but it never failed me.

Last edited:
Wow, that was close,,,but I made it with 2 minutes & 12 seconds to go, will receive 1 day before takeoff :t:

I was so busy checking reviews, reading post replies, and checking stock levels,,that I couldn't respond to the kind members. All advice was taken into account, and I narrowed it down to the Manfrotto 190go & Slik Pro 624 CFL.

After fast reviewing,,,the 190go doesn't come with a case, and must use a star wrench to adjust leg angles...the 624 has a fast flip for angle & case included.

I always sit when spotting, never stand...I'm 5'11"/180cm, and use a angled scope, so the 624 height shouldn't be a problem.

I purchased the following:
Slik Pro 624 CFL Carbon Fiber Tripod
Manfrotto 700RC2 fluid head
Impact Saddle Bag empty, 5lb capacity

I pack pretty far into the back country, so thinking the 5lb(more like 3lb) counterweight will offset the tripods lower weight. Hopefully I've made a sound yet fast decision, returning is always an option if I've made a poor decision.

I am using the Sirui 1204, which is similar to the 1205 except it is 4 sections instead of 5, the head will give it a few inches height boost, and for my straight scope, I am using it at max extending when I am standing. I get around 59-60" with the scope mounted, I am 5'7". It is acceptable although I prefer my Sirui 3204 (but its bigger, not for travel). For angled scope, the 1204/1205's height it will be perfect.

I missed the 1204 as an option, it probably would have been in the top running position....craaap

Good deal though. :t:

Yes if you're sitting you can use much less tripod and still get good results. I'm guessing you'll be pleased with this combo when used like that and the weight savings will be substantial.

I have the original (read heavy aluminum) Celestron Regal 80mm. Those Regals are nice scopes.

Let us know what you think.

Can anyone tell me if I should have ordered a different mounting plate, or attachment screw ?,,,or am I good to go.

new scope big tripod problem

Eric - You can go to Ebay and get everything you need for less than $200. The items will be used but of high quality - tripod (Bogen 3021) head (Bogen 3265) pistol grip/ joy stick. Plate -any one that fits the 2021 or 3265. Get extra plates for using with other scopes or binoculars. The 3265 gives you extra vertical range. Have used these for years with zero problems.

John

Wait, wait, wait,,,,,I need to spend $200 more for stuff ?

I don't understand the heads/plates system at all, do I need a long plate to balance the M2 on the 700RC ?...now I'm confused.

Please explain what I need, will have to pay over-nite charges to get it here...I thought the rig(post #11) had everything I needed to jump out of town.

You don't need a long plate. You might need one if you are digiscoping due to the additional weight throwing the scope offbalance. I am not sure about the 700head, but for some heads, the plate is already quite long.

I believe you already bought all you need for the moment and those are nice gear.

You don't need a long plate. You might need one if you are digiscoping due to the additional weight throwing the scope offbalance. I am not sure about the 700head, but for some heads, the plate is already quite long.

I believe you already bought all you need for the moment and those are nice gear.

Ahhh, thank you for the help :t:..was worried I was short of needed hardware.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful advice, and I'll check back in with my review on the equipment.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back