• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss 8x32SF as your main binocular (6 Viewers)

Well, I am 80 years old and my one and 1/2 year old Canon 12x36 IS III is my first and only image stabilized binocular and I am more than pleased with it and very happy I have it.

I also have a rather large number of "Alpha" class binoculars.

I was using the 12x36 on my deck this morning and was very pleased with it.

In the afternoon I spent an hour or so on the deck with my Zeiss Victory 7x42 T* FL and I was just as happy using it. It is my favorite binocular and I take it to Hawk Mountain in Pennsylvania when I visit there during the migration.

I could follow birds through the trees off my deck with it better than with the 12x36 IS but I was content using both of them and it was a beautiful clear day!
And I'm looking forward to taking my Canon 12x36 IS III to Hawk Mountain at least one time this year.

Bob

Bob...I admire you:).... One reason perhaps for my thinking is that I work all day on a computer, so....I tire of too much technology.

I have never looked thru the Canon with IS so am not aware of the benefit of, or lack .

I wholeheartedly and unreservedly recommend you give it a try. You may decide that your particular style of birding doesn't require such levels of stability, or that the advantages of great stability are not worth having to use batteries and so on (although, of course, we use batteries for all sorts of other things, from our phones to our cameras...). But if you're a keen birder, I can say with complete conviction that you owe it to yourself to try a couple of these things - say the 10x42L and the new 12x36 - and see for yourself what the technology can do.

yes, I will have to give it a try..

It seems that most of these bins are 10-12 + power....But for sea watch, boat watch, astronomy etc...I see a great benefit. And to fit my 8x32 quest, I did see one 8x25 that Canon had that might fit but will have to look at the specs more so. FOV and Min Focus is not strong but weight wise it is a surprisingly 17.3 ounces / 490 grams so 'wow' on that!

Last edited:
I'll probably go for the 10x32SF - but will compare them to the SV EL 10x32 first, which are by now my go-to option (dont have that format now, but plan on buying it as my main). I love the smaller size compared to the x42 models and don't need the extra light (99% use my binos during day time).

I'm very curious when more binos for review purposes will surface and when they will finally be released. Late summer is a looong time span.

The interview was nice, but we got no groundbreaking new information in my opinion. The only new information I got out of it was the shipping indication (end of August) - which may have been known to others, but was new to me. Nevertheless: always nice to hear someone speak directly from the manufacturer :)

Thanks for the link!

Let me put my foot in my mouth as usual, and ask the question everyone has.
When is retail really going to start on this?

Edmund

My Spring edition of LivingBird had an ad from Zeiss "Coming May 2020."
Summer edition, just arrived: " Available LATE Summer. "

I will be glad when this Covid thing is a thing of the past, unless of course it's just Zeiss's usual smoke and mirrors. ;)

Two quick things:

Yes, I could (and mostly do) use a 32mm as my main bino these days. Also, and I probably missed this somewhere, what is the projected price on the new 32mm SF?

Mark

Oh yeah, this would be a dream set of bins, reading the specs and reviews. Only point of concern is I'd choose a 8x32 also for the smaller size than a 10x42 but with its 152mm it's even a mm longer than my current Meopta 10x42...and as a biking birder with a backpack size matters. But the optics quality, fov and weight of the 8x32 SF would probably compensate for that. Still, it's waaaaay above my budget so I don't have to worry about this option :)

32s are already my main bins, or rather my only pair, but instead of 8x32 I use 10x32. One downside of many 42s is the Pupil distance. The new Zeiss bins sound great so yes, theatrically!

I think it's definitely feasible to have an 8x32 as a main bin. Until a few years ago, I had a Leica BA 8x32, an Ultravid BR 8x32 and a Victory FL 8x32. I'm very much a minimalist, and favoured the Ultravid for its size and weight. I did, however, prefer the focuser on the FL and wished the Leica could have such a lovely focuser.

A friend lent me his Victory FL 7x42 for a day, and I was blown away by it, and managed to get a mint example at a good price. The deep, immersive and 'easy' view and the wide FOV were very impressive. Whilst it's appreciably bigger and heavier than the 8x32s, it's nicely balanced and the fibreglass barrels mean it's warm to the touch in winter. Even though my exit pupil is now reduced, and in theory my eyes shouldn't be able to make use of the 6mm on offer, to me the view is hugely bright and clear, with a definite advantage in poor light. I guess the 7x magnification helps with steadiness as well. Certainly, I've not seen any other 'bigger' bins that I've liked.

The 7x42 FL is now my preferred choice. However, there really isn't much in it, and I do alternate with an Ultravid HD+ 8x32, especially when hiking. Had my friend not introduced me to the delights of the FL 7x42, I'd probably still only have 8x32 binoculars.

However, I'm not greatly enthused by the prospect of the Zeiss SF 8x32. I don't like the size/weight/styling, and £2K+ is simply more than I'd be prepared to pay. I'm also not keen on the styling/size of the Swarovski EL, but its price is more attractive.

I guess many buyers are now waiting for the Swaro 8x32 for comparison.

And others wait in the wings for the used FL and EL sales.

Edmund

I'm not a regular reader of the binocular forum anymore, but as I said about a month ago further up in this discussion, this year I'm planning to sell 1 or 2 older pairs and allow myself to get a new premium binocular for the first time in years, and the 8X32 SF is at the top of my list. I really think I could embrace the smaller size as my main binocular, for sure, depending on the "total" experience when I get a pair in my hands.

Now I check back and oh my, I'm way behind... I see the big news from Swarovski with the new upcoming "NL Pure" 42mm having the widest field of all the premium options. I just found out about it and there's already 25 pages of excited discussion. Hmmm... I wonder if it is too wide and they overdid it? But mostly, I think "holy mother of the optical wonders of the earth, $3300 ???" Now I have to admit, I've always really liked Swarovski, not just the view but all the little things, the fit and finish, etc. I have one of their spotting scopes (an older 80mm ATS HD)... I've always kind of wished they would put out a 7X Swarovision or even just 7.5X. But now they have this new forehead brace thingy and that probably realistically would make an 8X binocular equivalent to 7.5X or 7X in steadiness. Plus all that wideness. I would probably love it. But $3300 -- no scratch that... The forehead brace is not included, and I'd probably want it at least sometimes. So that's another $154. Add in sales tax and we're well over $3700. Good grief, I just cannot get there... I think I'd feel guilty and self conscious walking around with them in a group of birders! Maybe I need to become a more serious birder first. Anyone else feel the same way?

Anyway, no, the Zeiss 8X32 SF is still at the top of my list. It may not match the view through the new Swaro NL 42mm (sort of apples and oranges, mid-size vs. full size objective), but it will be ~$1400 less (if I include the current offer to get a free Zeiss Terra and then turn around and sell the Terra right away). The 8X32 SF would have almost the same wide view (8.9° vs. 9.1° for the Swaro NL), and then of course there is the size/weight difference (Zeiss ~1/2 lb. lighter). I haven't yet made any final decision; I'll be comparing a lot of the "alpha" options in 8X, both 32mm and 42mm, but I don't think I'm going to wait and include the Swaro NL in my comparisons. I'm sure I could be totally happy with the right 32mm binocular as my main bin. My optics dealer tells me the 32 SF is currently not expected until the end of August. So I have more time to think. When I try out the 8X32 SF, I will compare them to my old but well-loved Nikon 8X32 SE. The 20 year old porro vs. the latest greatest roof. Should be interesting.

Dave

Last edited:
opticoholic,

I hope you keep the SE 8X32 even if you go for the SF 8X32. Depending in what you want/prefer 8X32/8X42, the FL 8X32 model will be going on sale, it is a great glass and I use it along with my SE 8X32, mainly in the winter months for travel. But there will be sales on premium 8X42s also later this year.
I am going to check all of the NLs, I will get a chance to spend some time with them in the fall, to see if the 8X42 is worth the $$.
The SF 8X32 will get many eyes on it this August.

I love the 8x32 size and even though I have larger (Zeiss 8x42 HT), I still, almost always, go for the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 pair instead. I had the absolutely amazing Nikin 8x32SE for a number of years but finally sold them to someone who would appreciate them more. I recall reading a review on birdwatching.com on mid-size bins that stated the resolution on the Conquest HDs equaled the resolution on the Swaro EL 8x32. Not sure if I buy it but it makes me appreciate the Zeiss' all the more.

Also, while the resolution of the Canon 10x30 IS bins is a notch lower, the IS feature is amazing. I've had mine at least 10 years and they are outstanding for astronomy due to that IS. My Zeiss 8x42HT are certainly brighter but I can see more with the Canon.

My Zeiss 8x42 HT are for sale as I simply don't use them much where I use the smaller Conquests all the time. So yes, I can live with 8x32's and prefer them. I suspect if I sell the Zeiss 8x42's, I will strongly consider the Swaro EL 8x32 as I've never owned a pair but love their feel when I've used them.

My original question (post #1).... was could a 8x32 be your only pair of bins and obviously the answer appears to be yes. But I am going to amend that even further and now state that in my mind, a 8x30 bin can be my only bin. Instead of putting a 8x32SF on pre-order....I found the benefit of a 8x30 Monarch HG at half the price, a lot lot lot lot smaller in dimension and less weight. I find myself moving more in that direction with less weight and physical size while I see the 8x32SF being larger and heavier in all respects (much like the recent NL series too)...so apparently manufacturers are going 'bigger' while I am wanting 'smaller'....

My original question (post #1).... was could a 8x32 be your only pair of bins and obviously the answer appears to be yes. But I am going to amend that even further and now state that in my mind, a 8x30 bin can be my only bin. Instead of putting a 8x32SF on pre-order....I found the benefit of a 8x30 Monarch HG at half the price, a lot lot lot lot smaller in dimension and less weight. I find myself moving more in that direction with less weight and physical size while I see the 8x32SF being larger and heavier in all respects (much like the recent NL series too)...so apparently manufacturers are going 'bigger' while I am wanting 'smaller'....

I love my 8x30MHG but I wouldn't have it as my only bin. It's the bin I use the most, hands down. I use it for all local and almost all domestic birding, for hikes, I have it handy when driving in rural areas, and take it along for casual outings where birding isn't the priority. But for "real birding trips" I take an 8x42 or 10x42 depending on the habitat. I'm curious to see if the 8x32SF can replace an 8x42SF - and I suspect it will be able to. But I personally wouldn't take my 8x30MHG to the tropics for a month instead of my 8x42SF.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back