• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie (1 Viewer)

Corymk

United States
Newbie here. I am currently using a pair of Maven B1's 10x42 but after looking through my buddies Leica noctovids for a week I am looking to upgrade to alpha glass. I'm super torn between a pair of swaro El 10x42 and a pair of NL pure 12x42. I have felt like I needed a little more magnification at times and I've heard that you can hand hold the NL 12's really well. I also have a tripod thay I use occasionally. The only thing holding me back is the cost difference. Any advice will be appreciated

Hi Cory and a warm welcome from me too. I've moved your post to the Binocular forum, as I feel you'll get the advice you need there. Some idea of your budget would be helpful though.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

For longer distance views a spotting scope might be a better option, some things will always be out of bino reach and the higher the power of binoculars the harder to hold them steady. The steadier the view the more details you’ll see. I normally use a pair of 8x for scanning and finding things and then a spotter for the detail, though I’ve caught myself only using the spotter sometimes if things are mainly in the distance.

Peter

Personally I'd take Leica Ultravids, or Noctivids over either of those two.
Its a personal opinion of course.... many would go the other way.

Welcome to the forum

Newbie here. I am currently using a pair of Maven B1's 10x42 but after looking through my buddies Leica noctovids for a week I am looking to upgrade to alpha glass. I'm super torn between a pair of swaro El 10x42 and a pair of NL pure 12x42. I have felt like I needed a little more magnification at times and I've heard that you can hand hold the NL 12's really well. I also have a tripod thay I use occasionally. The only thing holding me back is the cost difference. Any advice will be appreciated
I would go with the EL 10x42. 10x is about the most a normal person can hand hold unless you are really steady, so unless you want to use a tripod all the time, it would be much more practical. Also, 10x will have a bigger FOV, better DOF, have easier eye placement because of the bigger EP, and it will be brighter, especially in low light. If money is a factor, the EL of course is much less expensive than the NL.

That being said, there are a lot of fans of the NL 12x42, and it is an excellent 12x binocular. Another two to consider if a little more weight doesn't bother you is the EL 10x50 and EL 12x50. They will be brighter in low light and have easier eye placement than the 42mm. The EL 10x50 is a real standout.

Another one to try if you want to come over to the light side is the Zeiss SFL 10x40. Its performance will be similar to the EL 10x42, except in an approximately 20% smaller and lighter package.

Last edited:
Hi Cormyk
Hand-holding a pair of 12x for a long time can be a bit of a strain, so unless you do a lot of observation from a distance then 10x is preferable. Apart from that, try out a few different models and find the one you get on best with. Eye relief / eyecup adjustment, balance and focus wheel position are very individual preferences.
If your birding is at longer distances, then think about a compact spotting scope with a pair of 8x for scanning.

You can buy 95 to 97% of the optical quality of the so-called alpha binocular for 25 or 30% of the cost. There are great binoculars, and very poor binoculars. But alphas only exist between the ears of those who want something to talk about… To brag about… Etc..

My advice is to find a binocular that fits your budget and use it until you think you have found something better, much better. Keep your hand on your wallet and don’t listen to everybody who comes down the pike. It’s your money and your enjoyment. I happen to know for a fact that the birds don’t give a darn!

That’s a scary thought, that there may be birds who only wish to be looked at through NL, SF and so on.

I wonder where one might find such birds …….. I’ll go look at them, if they are found close to me.

I know the birds in our neighborhood are very status conscious and will only let you watch them through an SF or NL. If they see you are using a Bushnell or Tasco they are gone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back