• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newborough Ravens, Anglesey (1 Viewer)

Siân Branygors

United Kingdom
Hello, I’m working on a book and looking for a bit of advice on the Raven roost at Newborough. Is anyone able to advise on whether it is still active and directions to see it? Any insights gratefully received. Thank you

I can't speak to currency but one thing I remember from visiting it years ago was that it's not possible to view the entire roost as it is distributed throughout Newburgh Forest. A team was endeavouring to count it when we visited and they had stationed people at good overlooks at different points in the forest. They did tip us off that big numbers would accumulate in the air over some places and by following their advice, in addition to the constant calling and passage overhead of many individuals, we found somewhere to watch a gathering of about 400 Ravens wheeling above one spot. That was amazing.

John

I can't speak to currency but one thing I remember from visiting it years ago was that it's not possible to view the entire roost as it is distributed throughout Newburgh Forest. A team was endeavouring to count it when we visited and they had stationed people at good overlooks at different points in the forest. They did tip us off that big numbers would accumulate in the air over some places and by following their advice, in addition to the constant calling and passage overhead of many individuals, we found somewhere to watch a gathering of about 400 Ravens wheeling above one spot. That was amazing.

John
Sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back