• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking insights for a birdwatching data analysis project (1 Viewer)

nhatp1119

United States
Hello everyone,

I'm Nhat, a graduate data science student at Northeastern University (Boston, MA, USA). I'm currently working on a project that utilizes eBird data to enhance the birdwatching experience, particularly for beginners.

Our team has made progress on a dashboard for forecasting bird detection rates, and we're now expanding our analysis to cover all bird species in Massachusetts. We would love to share with you once we have a final product.

Alongside this, we're conducting an analysis to categorize birdwatching areas in Massachusetts based on factors like birding activity and species diversity. The preliminary categories we're exploring are:
  • Overbirded: High birding activity but low species diversity.
  • Underbirded: Low birding activity but high species diversity.
  • (Potentially) Popular: High birding activity and high species diversity.
  • (Potentially) Non-popular: Low birding activity and low species diversity.
The aim is to identify areas that are ecologically rich yet possibly overlooked ('underbirded') compared to areas that see a lot of birdwatching activity but might not be as diverse in bird species ('overbirded'). I would love to have your thoughts on two aspects:
  1. Relevance of the Issue: Do you think there is some imbalance between overbirded and underbirded areas in birdwatching ? In other words, is this problem of interest to you as birdwatchers/ conservationists?
  2. Criteria for Categorization: What factors do you believe are crucial in defining these categories? We're considering aspects like checklist numbers, species diversity, and maybe: sightings of rare species, seasonal variations, and human impact on birdwatching areas.
Your insights will be incredibly helpful in guiding our project and ensuring it reflects the real-world experiences of birdwatchers. I appreciate any perspectives or additional factors you can provide.

Thank you in advance!
Nhat

Hello everyone,

I'm Nhat, a graduate data science student at Northeastern University (Boston, MA, USA). I'm currently working on a project that utilizes eBird data to enhance the birdwatching experience, particularly for beginners.

Our team has made progress on a dashboard for forecasting bird detection rates, and we're now expanding our analysis to cover all bird species in Massachusetts. We would love to share with you once we have a final product.

Alongside this, we're conducting an analysis to categorize birdwatching areas in Massachusetts based on factors like birding activity and species diversity. The preliminary categories we're exploring are:
  • Overbirded: High birding activity but low species diversity.
  • Underbirded: Low birding activity but high species diversity.
  • (Potentially) Popular: High birding activity and high species diversity.
  • (Potentially) Non-popular: Low birding activity and low species diversity.
The aim is to identify areas that are ecologically rich yet possibly overlooked ('underbirded') compared to areas that see a lot of birdwatching activity but might not be as diverse in bird species ('overbirded'). I would love to have your thoughts on two aspects:
  1. Relevance of the Issue: Do you think there is some imbalance between overbirded and underbirded areas in birdwatching ? In other words, is this problem of interest to you as birdwatchers/ conservationists?
  2. Criteria for Categorization: What factors do you believe are crucial in defining these categories? We're considering aspects like checklist numbers, species diversity, and maybe: sightings of rare species, seasonal variations, and human impact on birdwatching areas.
Your insights will be incredibly helpful in guiding our project and ensuring it reflects the real-world experiences of birdwatchers. I appreciate any perspectives or additional factors you can provide.

Thank you in advance!
Nhat
The overbirding problem is of interest but a solution is hard to find. It arises when what can be a low diversity area nevertheless contains species that are of interest to a wide cross-section of birders, making those species favoured targets. This can be because of restricted distribution, overall rarity or, on a temporary basis, a locally unusual sighting. This can mean just a lot of people milling about a largish area or a concentrated crowd at a site with restricted viewing all after one or a few co-located birds. It is not possible to influence the mission of the people attending.

Underbirding - anyone going gets a place to themselves, hard to see that as a problem (though very inexperienced birdwatchers may have difficulty getting to grips with the species present). For operators of a site it however can mean funding stream issues.

Your criteria for categorisation will affect different tribes within birding very differently and I wish you luck obtaining useful data. Categorising the actual birders accurately is an essential prerequisite to this matter.

John

Last edited:
This sort of analysis is easier when there's a sensible data model underlying the info. Hotspots is not it. You really want info about where (precisely) each thing was. As an example, I believe bird lasser gives this.

I already see it is primarily a result of easy transport. That is why urban spots are so popular.

You may run also into confounding problems - that most species-rich habitat are decidous forests, but most popular birding areas are water bodies where one can easily see large birds in the open. And that popular bird spots artificially create a huge list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back