• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newby here but a life long bird fan, just like to say Hi ! (1 Viewer)

It started this morning just as it was getting to sunrise, I looked out of my living room window out to the North Sea, (I live in an ex mining village on the Durham coast), and was surprised to see a large skein of geese flying North in vee formation followed by another flock in a stragly line. I keep a pair of binos on the window sill and managed a quick count/ estimate of around 200, they were traveling at a good rate and were someway out at sea. I thought they are a bit early for migrating as I've never seen them this early. As the day progressed and I took the dog for her walks I saw more geese on every walk, 9am 40 Brents passed low overhead in single file, 12 noon 35 in a vee formation, 4pm 30 more in a vee formation. I'm not a great goose identifier but the Brents were so low I could see the detail. How many passed over today I can't estimate but I find it slightly disturbing that there's so many heading north this early. Early Spring, Global warming, solar storms? I have no idea. Has anyone else seen this today and ever this early?

Hi Gerald and a warm welcome from me too.

I doubt they're heading back for the Spring migration yet. I think it's more likely that they left their overnight roost to find a feeding area. If you can find where there's a lake further south it's an amazing sight watching them take off as it begins to get light; then the same in the evening when they return. I witnessed this up at Loch of Strathbeg one New Year when we stayed in the area.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back