• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newby (1 Viewer)

setterrob

United States
Retired professor of Classics here. Living now on the California Central Coast. Always attentive to the natural world since I noticed my father and the local sheriff in the New Jersey Pinelands poaching a deer. More and more into birding. About eight years ago I sold my Leica 8x20 that had never seemed very good and bought Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. Then sold those about two years ago for Zeiss Terra 8x25, which I have loved. Recently, however, I have had trouble tracking those damned warblers in the willows and wished for a larger FOV. And maybe more brightness when trying to identify a Virginia rail creeping among the dark reeds. I still don't want the bulk and weight of 8x42. Maybe I should stick with what I have, but if I want to supplement those 11 ouncers with 16 ounces, what should I choose? Note that I have excellent eyesight after cataract surgeries, but shaky hands. Vortex Diamondback 8x32. Zeiss Victory 8X25, Zeiss SL 8X30, Nikon HG 8X30? Svarowski CL 8X30 is getting up there in weight. Leica doesn't seem worth the price. The two best birders I have met in the field carry 1) the cheap Vortex and 2) Svarowski 8X42. What's worth it for me, with no big bins shop around to test all models? As an indication of my level, I will say that as of late January I have identified 52 species hereabouts. The top birders are approaching 200.

Hi, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here, we hope you enjoy the site and feel free to join in where ever you wish. You've come the right place for bino info (y)
cheers,
Andy

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi setterrob and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back