• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Niger seed update (1 Viewer)

Camberley red

Hello

my Goldfinch flock is up to 6 now on the niger seed feeder, which is amazing for a garden that had not attracted a single bird in 12 years. Its also very amusing to watch the other birds trying to work out how to get at the seed. The Goldfinch's seem to know instinctively. Mind you with all this wet weather my garden feeders appear to be much more busy than usual.

Excellent flock of over 90 Bramblings on my local patch Wishmoor Bottom, Camberley, yesterday Sunday. Its also the first time I have encounted such a flock in November in over 10 years watching the site.

Seems to be a mini invasion of Black Redstarts about at the moment in Southern England, 2 were seen within a 15 mile radius of my house, although I personally have not seen one yet.

Bye for now

Paul

Seeds

It's interesting what you say about the niger seeds. I haven't put any out as we don't tend to get goldfinches in the gardens here, although they are very common along the canalside, not half a mile away! However, The other day I decided to buy some sunflower seeds to put in one of my feeders. By the time I'd got back into the kitchen and looked out the window, a blue tit had dived straight in and whisked out a seed which it took into our neighbour's sycamore! I've noticed that our blue tits are a bit fussy, leaving our seed feeders to the house sparrow gang most of the time, although they love hunting through our plants and bushes along with the wren and dunnock!

I also put out a log, drilled with holes and filled with a fat/peanut/seed mix. For ages (months, actually) nothing came to it, until, in the last couple of weeks when our robin has attacked it with a vengeance! And now, in the last couple of days, our m & f blackbirds have been dining there as well. The sparrows, however, have turned their noses up at it! It's quite amusing, really . . . our sparrows never fly away when we're out in the garden. Quite often, when we go out to replenish the feeders, they just sit there a couple of feet away until we're done and then they dive in. I swear I heard one of them licking his lips the last time!

I might try the niger seeds to see if I can entice a few finches. We're sadly lacking in greenfinch, chaffinch, and goldfinch in the gardens, although, as I said, they are very close by. It has always puzzled me, when we've got plenty of other garden birds (blue, great, LT and coal tits, sparrows, collared doves, starlings, robins, wrens, blackbirds, song & mistle thrushes woodies and magpies and even a blackcap last winter), why it is we never see finches here! And I don't think that the resident Sprawk has anything to do with it!

B :)

Al

Interesting, you don't get many finches. I get plenty, but in the 20 years I've been living here on the Mendips, I've never seen a house sparrow in my garden! Why? My friend gets them half a mile away but they won't come here. I always feed my birds peanuts and oats, plus the odd apple and fat ball. Always very popular

Just for the record, I live in a very bird unfriendly area, with a rather unpleasant factory area behind the house and a new factory and car park area very close by the side. The garden list has reached a heady 30 species however the regular suspects are:

House Sparrow - 15 to 20 members of the local gang;
Starling - about 20 at the moment, but these guys are winter visitors my summer flock have moved off south;
Goldfinch - up to 6 on the niger seed;
Blue Tit - a couple of regulars;
Great Tit - one ;
Chaffinch - one female plus irregular male;
Robin - one;
Dunnock - one;
Collared Dove - 6 regulars;
Blackbird - male and occasional female;
Magpie - 1 he eats the waste cat food!;
Great Spotted Woodpecker - irregular in new doors apple tree;
Goldcrest - occasional visitor to the conifers;
Rock Dove - local 3 dodgy charactors but they are fun to watch;
Wood Pigeon - used to be a regular but missing at the moment;

other species of note are:
Redwing;
Song Thrush;
Long-tailed Tit;
Coal Tit;
Reed Bunting;
Grey Wagtail;
Pied Wagtail;
Siskin;
Bull finch;
Green finch;
Sparrow hawk;
Winter Wren;
Blackcap;
Carrion Crow;

plus a fly over Nightjar and several gull species.

Good birding

Paul

Boy you should live here where I do. My garden list is Blue Tit, Robin, Magpie, Starling, we have heard a Wren recently I have seen a couple of Mistle Thrush, flyovers of a few Canada Geese and Gulls and that is about it. I haven't had a Blackbird, Sparrow or any other bird near to me. We did have one Sparrowhawk fly over once. This area I live in is not somewhere you would choose to live if you had the choice and the bird life reflects that. I have bird feed and fat balls in various areas of the garden and have changed the types of feed often to see if the change would bring birds in but no matter what I put out birds hardly ever visit. We have had days where we have sat out for long periods and all we have seen are a couple of Magpie's and that's it.

About 200 yards up the road there is a flock of 20 Sparrows and a few pairs of Pied Wagtails. Quite a few Pigeons are nearby and a few Collared Doves as well. I have seen Dunnock and Blackbird there as well but none of them come down here. Frustrating or what. I really miss having birds in my garden.

My list has been compiled over a 12 year period. Its strange that other birds are relitively close to you but do not visit.

I read a while back about a guy in Northumberland with a garden list of over 130 species, now thats what I call impressive!

I feed:
peanuts;
Jacobi Jayne Special Mix Husk-free blend 2 (no husks and no canary seed);
Jacobi Jayne Insect cake and high energy cake;
Niger seed;
Bread.

By using husk free, you do not get unwanted plants and grasses sprouting up under the feeders, its a little bit more expensive but I think you get better value because there is no wastage.

I tend to buy via the net from CJ Wildbird Foods as they donate a percentage of sales to the BTO - £2,424 this year already.

Good birding

Paul

I just wanted to say that we have what is referred to as a sock here .. it is a mesh bag and the niger seed here is pricey in comparison to other seeds... but the AMGF and Pine siskins LOVE this stuff and I have had as many as 11 goldfinch on one bag and the pine siskins will defend this seed bag with very aggressive motions! It is quite funny. I have both siskins and goldfinch eating niger seed from my hand.. it is a real winner here in terms of food.B :)

Forgot to mention the food of choice for my gang of feathers and wee creatures is BOSS
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

Hi All
I have had a Niger Seed feeder in my garden for about 3 months now with nothing on it at all. Though Goldfinch come in to drink bathe and often fly over.

I know of a couple in Fakenham, Norfolk who last winter on one Niger feeder and some loose seed maintained a flock of 60 Goldfinch's throughout the winter.

burhinus

In the last 28 years I have only seen Goldfinch in my garden twice. Once about six months ago and then more recently. This Christmas I received a Niger seed feeder which went up yesterday. As I type this, two goldfinches are feeding on it and have been doing so for about half an hour. I am impressed and live in the hope of many more.

We provide Niger seed thoughout the year and since we started doing so we have had daily visits from the Goldfinches, though nowadays they feed more on the sunflowers kernels. We get up to twenty on the feeders or sat around waiting their turn.

We have a flock of Goldfinch, maximum of 12 at a time, visiting our feeders here in Sheffield. It was the niger feeder that bought them to us but now they feed equally on the sunflower hearts and the niger seed. The odd greenfinch has a go at the niger feed but with liitle success due to the shape of their bills. I have found the Goldfinches to be very messy with the Niger seed and so have found a tray below the feeder to catch what they drop is essential to preserve the bank balance. They happily feed from the tray too.

She whom should be obeyed bought me a Niger Feeder for my birthday, late November last year, and apart from 1 Goldfinch that found it within an hour not another bird have I seen near it since !

Sorry to hear that Andy. My original 2 has now increased to 8 at any one time.

One aspect of their behaviour I find strange. They are mostly quite sociable and will happily sit 5 or 6 together feeding but there seems to be one individual who must chase all the others away before it will feed.

Andy make sure this seed does not get wet... and wait you will have more in time... they flock to the niger seed.. do you have a siskin there by chance? These wee birds are fighters to the end when it comes to a niger sock... they will not allow any Goldfinch near it when they are there.. quite funny to watch actually.

I don't wish to bore anyone but my goldfinch numbers went up to 17 this afternoon. I guess this is a direct result of the snow.

Let it snow let it snow let it snow.. and please if you do not mind keep it where you are please!
WE have enjoyed a terrificly warm and very green winter thus far and it is amazing...

Yes I have the occasional siskin but they are fastidiously avoiding the Niger seed as well !

I checked it today and while I didn't think it felt damp I still replaced it. Peanut and seed feeders have had the usual cue niger has not. I am certain that they will find it; eventually.

Now that is what I would like to see in my garden, a siskin.
I have a red peanut feeder, black sunflower seed feeders and now a niger seed feeder. Is there anything else that can be done to attract them?

Last edited:
Hi There
I actually had a Siskin on my window feeders a couple of years ago.I was very pleased to see it, but it hasn't been back since.
Regards
Peter B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back