• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night Heron ageing, Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

Matt Griffiths

ad. ♂ Blackcap
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone knows much about ageing Night Herons, specifically the differences between second-winter/summer birds and adults. I'm pretty sure one I found at my local lakes recently is an adult, as during good views of it in flight I couldn't make out any brownishness in the plumage, including the dark crown and saddle, though I don't know how obvious this brown element should be in a flying bird. A birdwatcher/twitcher (don't know how reliable he is) apparently had a really good view of it today and thought it had brown in its plumage. On a couple of occasions I've been able to see that the bird has the long light-coloured nape-feathers - would a 2s have these feathers? Thanks in advance.
Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back