• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 10x25HGL DCF vs Midas G2 10x25 UHD, how do they compare? (2 Viewers)

The Midas G2 10x25 UHD is the same as the Bushnell Legend 10x25, and the Bushnell is less expensive. Cjfrbw has them both, and he liked the Nikon better, although he still liked the Midas. You can buy the Bushnell Legend 10x25 for $100.

Cjfrbw
"I bought the Legend Ultra HD 10x25 ED and like it a lot. I liked it so much, I went ahead and bought a Nikon HG 10x25 alpha, planning to sell the Bushnell. However, I have decided to keep both.

The Nikon is a solid, precision instrument with an almost miraculously fine focus knob. I would peg the brightness/contrast about 25 percent better than the Bushnell, the ultimate focus is slightly sharper and also sharper across the field, but easier to access via the focus knob with less hunt and peck than the Bushnell. The Nikon is more color neutral to warm, while the Bushnell is slightly blue by comparison. The Nikon is heavier but about the same size. The Nikon has really been growing on me as I have used it, but the Bushnell has, too.

I decided to keep the Bushnell because it is lighter and easier to carry/pocketable, the view has that elusive immersive-ness that is so nice in binoculars, it focuses closer than the Nikon for nature study, is very close to being as sharp in the central field as the Nikon and is just a nice package. The Bushnell has kind of floppy hinges, but oddly, with the way it is held, that is not such a bad thing because it makes it a bit easier to adjust on the fly with IPD, even with one hand.

I have decided that 10x25 is the perfect overall size and magnification for me, and will just use my gnu5 8x30 Baigish or German military porro when I want that nice, bright 3d porro thing.

I would give the Bushnell 10x25 a really high recommendation, especially if you want a near alpha compact experience for a good price. I say "near" because the Nikon HG is demonstrably sturdier and better optically, but probably not in proportion to cost, and the Bushnell has some nice things on its own like lightness and close focus. It doesn't have to be an official alpha to be a really nice binocular."

Thanks Denco, that really covered it all, I really appreciate the help!

Since the Midas 10x25 UHD is the clone of the Bushnell Legend, would you or anyone else know what the Athlon Midas G2 8x42 UHD is the clone of if at all?
Reason I ask is that the MIdas 8x42's are incredible and I'd be really interested if they are just a rebranded binocular at a higher price or not.

Last edited:
Thanks Denco, that really covered it all, I really appreciate the help!

Since the Midas 10x25 UHD is the clone of the Bushnell Legend, would you or anyone else know what the Athlon Midas G2 8x42 UHD is the clone of if at all?
Reason I ask is that the MIdas 8x42's are incredible and I'd be really interested if they are just a rebranded binocular at a higher price or not.
I have tried the Midas 8x42, and I was impressed with it for the price. It looks to me by the similarity of the design it could also be a clone of the Bushnell Legend 8x42. Gear Lab which I like and trust says there are other binoculars that are better for the money, so you might try some of those also.

81fj+7sAbcL._AC_SL1500_.jpgLegend_BB842W_Front.jpg

Wow, if that's true that would be good for me as my Uncle wants my Midas after looking through it so I can suggest to him to get the Legend 8x42 and then we can really compare if they are the same thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back