• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 5300 verses 7100 (1 Viewer)

Stephen Mark

I am a lot more birder than photographer but I am thinking of entering the DSLR world. My wife has used nothing but Nikon's going back to the days of film and I don't want a DSLR badly enough to get a divorce in the bargain. I love my Panasonic FZ200 but there are things it just won't do. I read the ads and try to comprehend the specks but to the untrained eye I just don't see a $400.00 advantage to the 7100. If there is would some one or ones please enlighten me.
I would like to get this right the first time. Baring a winning lottery ticket $1100.00 is the outer limit as there are still lenses to buy.
Color me confused.
Steve

The key advantages of the D7100 over the D5300 are a better autofocus system (the 51-point system is a step above the 39-point system for tracking birds in flight), a larger pentaprism viewfinder, better build quality, and a more sophisticated and direct control system with dual dials and more direct controls. In my opinion, those differences are worth the extra cost, particularly if you plan on really familiarizing yourself with DSLR controls and growing into the system.

The advantages of the D5300, besides the price, are tiltable screen, which can be a real help for videoing and awkward shots, plus wifi and gps. There are quick links to the most important parameters so it's arguable whether you'd need more external controls.

If your wife has older (AF) lenses the D7100 would allow you to auto-focus using them.

Last edited:
I am a lot more birder than photographer but I am thinking of entering the DSLR world. My wife has used nothing but Nikon's going back to the days of film and I don't want a DSLR badly enough to get a divorce in the bargain. I love my Panasonic FZ200 but there are things it just won't do. I read the ads and try to comprehend the specks but to the untrained eye I just don't see a $400.00 advantage to the 7100. If there is would some one or ones please enlighten me.
I would like to get this right the first time. Baring a winning lottery ticket $1100.00 is the outer limit as there are still lenses to buy.
Color me confused.
Steve
Steve,
I am a birder primarily who ventured into photography so I know where you are coming from. In many ways the panasonic is the ideal camera for you not getting in the way of birdwatching, but if you want to advance and carry more then I'm not sure $1100 wold do it for a camera and lens that offers more reach (600mm gov) and more brightness f2.8. What dslr's will do is offer good AF for birds in flight and generally better IQ for printing large or cropping a lot.
One option is a Nikon D5100 and nikon 70-300 lens. The IQ is excellent and they both can be got second hand. The D90 is also a good first slr. Iy you get a D7100 it is arguably the best DX camera for birds but it will need at least a 300mm f4 and 1.4TC which is a very good combination.
Either way for static birds the panasonic is still very good.

Steve,
I am a birder primarily who ventured into photography so I know where you are coming from. In many ways the panasonic is the ideal camera for you not getting in the way of birdwatching, but if you want to advance and carry more then I'm not sure $1100 wold do it for a camera and lens that offers more reach (600mm gov) and more brightness f2.8. What dslr's will do is offer good AF for birds in flight and generally better IQ for printing large or cropping a lot.
One option is a Nikon D5100 and nikon 70-300 lens. The IQ is excellent and they both can be got second hand. The D90 is also a good first slr. Iy you get a D7100 it is arguably the best DX camera for birds but it will need at least a 300mm f4 and 1.4TC which is a very good combination.
Either way for static birds the panasonic is still very good.

Thanks Rich. Probably wasn't your intent but I think you have talked me out of the idea. I think I was trying to substitute for lack of talent and lack of practice by buying equipment. A fancier camera isn't going to help if you cant use what you have. When I got my Kowa binoculars after a few weeks I realized that they were better than my eyes and skill could take to the limit and I had all I could use. I think the same may be true here.
Thank you
Steve

I'm shooting a 5300 FX lens.
Its a pretty good rig. The 1.4 crop factor makes it pretty good especially with the 28-300 Nikon FX
I like having the GPS on it.
I may upgrade to full frame so I buy only FX lenses.

The new 100-600 Tamron lens for $1000 may be worth getting as it gets pretty good reviews that give some real reach with the 5300.

Spend the big $$$$ on good glass & you can get new frames as the technology changes.
$500 for a 5300 is hardly a budget buster.

j

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back