• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 E2 or 8x32 SE (1 Viewer)

My wife has EII's, I have SE's. We would each say ours is better.
No matter what bins I have casually looked through, I have not regretted my decision to get the SE's or felt the need to own a different pair of bins, and that is based on image quality.

If you are considering a purchase based on this survey make sure you get to look through both. There are other differences eg. FOV - EII has greater, price EII is cheaper, and some people, my wife included feel the view is more relaxed on the EII.

There is a mass of info on both of these in the Nikon forum.

I like the SEs better of the two. I have become sensative to the pincushion distortion, as in the bending of straight lines, in the very-wide angle E2, and there is quite a bit of it. Optically I would consider that its only drawback. The SEs do resolve better, above and beyond what their size would lead you to expect. The strong pincushion makes me feel like I am standing on top of a domed rise whenever I use them over open terrain.

gautamsrivastav said:
If you were to consider the IMAGE QUALITY ONLY which one would you pick ?

Considering image quality only, I picked 8x32 SE over all other binoculars more than five years ago. Considering image quality only, I would still pick the 8x32 SE over all other binoculars.

The need to use binoculars in the rain and other conditions led me on another quest, and two years ago I purchase Leica Ultravid. I have compared the Ultravid, Zeiss FL, Swarovski EL, Nikon LX/HG, and others against the SE. Some of them rival the SE for image quality, but not one surpasses it.

Jonathan B. said:
Considering image quality only, I picked 8x32 SE over all other binoculars more than five years ago. Considering image quality only, I would still pick the 8x32 SE over all other binoculars.

The need to use binoculars in the rain and other conditions led me on another quest, and two years ago I purchase Leica Ultravid. I have compared the Ultravid, Zeiss FL, Swarovski EL, Nikon LX/HG, and others against the SE. Some of them rival the SE for image quality, but not one surpasses it.

I'm in agreement again.

John Traynor said:
I'm in agreement again.

I am absolutely determined to neither agree nor to disagree - but only this time.
:storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm:

Walter

Beats me. I love my 8 x30 E2's but haven't had the opportunity to compare them to the SE's. I'd really like to, but I'd want to do it under less than ideal light conditions, because in full sun, on a bright clear day, it might be a really tough call.

The real beauty of the EII and SE lines is that they offer first-rate optics to people on a tight budget. Additionally, Nikon's No-Fault warranty guarantees a lifetime of use. I can't think of a better optical investment, especially for those with limited cash.

John

I own a pair of each. On pure image quality the SEs have it, particularly - to my eyes - better edge sharpness and less CA, although I don't find the CA intrusive in the E2s - I would not notice it if I was not looking for it. However the E2s are less finicky as to how they should be held - particularly good for beginners, they just lift them up and BAM there is that huge field of view.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back