• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8X30 E2 (1 Viewer)

Roadbike

After lurking here and reading all the positive threads on the discontinued Nikon E2 8x30 binoculars I've been on the lookout for a pair. After 6 months of unsuccessful internet searches I finally found a single new pair at a local camera shop.

There are so many superlatives to talk about: A sharp clear view; fast precise focusing; a diopter that stays put; a frame that just fits the hand. My only minor complaint is the dew guard is kinda chintzy and doesn't fit very well, but it does work. I know this is a bird forum and these aren't supposed to be astronomical glasses but I pointed them skyward and it was like looking out the porthole of a spaceship at the night sky. Stunning.

And yes, they work well on wildlife too. ;)

Anyway, this is a very friendly and informative forum, so thanks to one and all who have posted about the E2 binoculars.

Have been toying with idea for some time, but the 10x version potentially has a diopter problem..may relate to wide field?...that I find with many 10x, mostly to do with my eyes. If I had them in my hand, would be more confident to pay the money. I sort of hate mail order and returning items. For now.

The 8x version sounds good too, if that is what you usually use.

Last edited:
Roadbike said:
My only minor complaint is the dew guard is kinda chintzy and doesn't fit very well, but it does work...

And yes, they work well on wildlife too. ;)

Anyway, this is a very friendly and informative forum, so thanks to one and all who have posted about the E2 binoculars.

Roadbike,

If you mean the rain guard, it can be replaced with the Zeiss Classic rain guard, for instance. However, I found that the EII is the best optical experience at the price, and perhaps at much more than its price.

Enjoy the view,
Arthur Pinewood

Your comments are appreciated, Roadbike. We are glad you were fortunate enough to find one and we know you will be pleased with it. The EII is probably the most thoroughly analyzed binocular on this forum except for the Swift 8.5 x 44 Audubon. It should have it's own separate link. (No pun intended, Henry!)
Enjoy the view!
Bob

Last edited:
Glad to see that you found a binocular that you enjoy using. I would concur with the others that the 8x30 EII is probably the best value in terms of performance versus price and, arguably, provides one of the best image packages out there. If the eye relief was just a tad longer I would have kept mine.

I look forward to hearing further comments from you.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back