• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 EII (4 Viewers)

Eight years ago, and the OP is no longer even here. I thought there was a warning against reviving ancient threads... but then again, one would hardly notice. The same people are still so intent on identifying the best binocular that others give them cognitive dissonance, again selling off their Nikons no matter how much they praise them... and EIIs still offer unique value for money.

I suppose one could at least note that EIIs continue to be made, and are lately even better due to improved coatings.

Last edited:
I wish there were a comparison between these and the opticron HRWP 8x42
I had both at the same time some years ago. The E2 has significantly better optics, better build quality, easier eye placement, better focus wheel, diopter mechanism, eye-cups, etc.

On the plus side for the HRWP: holding the HRWP feels even better than holding the E2, the best ever. And the HRWP is waterproof.

George

I wish the EII had 1 more mm of IPD. Allbinos measured its maximum IPD at 73.2mm. According to my eye doctor, mine is 73.8mm. Also its eye relief was measured at 13.8mm, which is on the low side when used with glasses, and not enough with certain types of glasses. Another mm here would be good too.
Tom,

I'm not sure how Albinos came up with that number for the 8x E2's IPD. Perhaps the view through both EPs don't merge past 73.2mm? I don't think so.

My IPD is 68*, but I set the IPD past 70mm on the 8x32 SE so the eyecups don't pinch the bridge of my nose and so I can "cheat" more FOV. I can get that far and farther with the E2, though beyond 75mm is too far for my eyes and I'll see a black crescent in the middle of the image, but for someone with a wider IPD, the two oculars on the 8x E2 can separate to at least 80mm.

That's wider than the max for the 8x32 SE, which is about 74-75mm. So, you should have ample room for your IPD unless there's some issue with merging the stereo images I'm unaware of.

But the E2's ER is on the low side, so unless your eyeglasses sit flat against your face and your eyes aren't deep set, you probably won't see the entire FOV. But with 8.8* FOV, you could give up some FOV and still have more than most 8x bins.

Brock

I had both at the same time some years ago. The E2 has significantly better optics, better build quality, easier eye placement, better focus wheel, diopter mechanism, eye-cups, etc.

On the plus side for the HRWP: holding the HRWP feels even better than holding the E2, the best ever. And the HRWP is waterproof.

George
I would give that battle victory to the E2.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back