• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix3100 (1 Viewer)

claire

Hi,

ive recently bought a Nikon Coolpix 3100, and have played a little with the scopes where I work. I realise that I really need a digi camera with an internal zoom lense, but I have managed to get some half decent pictures!!! (more by luck than judgement I think)

Is there a hard and fast rule that external zoom lense cameras cant be used for digiscoping, and if they can, and can be used well, is there a good adapter I can use with my camera for a scope?

any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated!!!

cheers

Claire

Hi Clare,
Good to hear that you have had some success with your camera. Many digital cameras are able to produce some sort of digiscoped image, though these are often towards the lower end of the market as small diameter lenses with zoom lenses less than 4x work the best (though above 2.5x zoom is handy).

If you have a tripod socket on the underside of the camera you should be able to use one of the support bracket type devices, though these can cost quite a lot of money. I believe srbfilm.co.uk have a device at a reasonable price and also one in the states at simplicitytool.com (very attractive at $79 given the exchange rate).
Best regards,
Andy

claire said:
Hi,

ive recently bought a Nikon Coolpix 3100, and have played a little with the scopes where I work. I realise that I really need a digi camera with an internal zoom lense, but I have managed to get some half decent pictures!!! (more by luck than judgement I think)

Is there a hard and fast rule that external zoom lense cameras cant be used for digiscoping, and if they can, and can be used well, is there a good adapter I can use with my camera for a scope?

any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated!!!

cheers

Claire

I should've mentioned that the fact that if you have a physically moving zoom lens it isn't the end of the world but often means you cannot use a conventional digiscoping adapter unless the camera offers some sort of add-on lens adapter that provides a thread in front of the lens (just in front of where the lens ends up at it's max extension).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back