• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Olympus E-M1 mark iii. (1 Viewer)

TomFG

United States
I would like to consider pairing a decent scope with my Olympus E-M1 mark iii - I have no scope now. I understand that the Swarovski scopes also have Swarovski-made adapters but scope, eyepiece and adapter are expensive enough for me to alternatively venture into another camera system altogether. I'd like to have a decent scope that would produce reasonably sharp images of birds that would not be destined for publication or contests - just pictures that I can enjoy of birds that would be otherwise too far away for anything but a poor diagnostic photo. I'm not thinking that weight is a great issue - I picture a scope as something I would use in a stationary location for shorebirds, waterfowl, maybe cranes. I'd also like to use the scope with my iPhone 14 Pro (and there is another thread devoted to that). I realize that there are a lot of subjectives in my question but I really don't know how to begin the process of looking for a scope.

If digiscoping is not a priority with the scope, get a travel scope made by Swarovski ATC/STC or other makers. You can use your iPhone with the scope and still can enjoy the view from the eyepiece itself

I would like to consider pairing a decent scope with my Olympus E-M1 mark iii - I have no scope now. I understand that the Swarovski scopes also have Swarovski-made adapters but scope, eyepiece and adapter are expensive enough for me to alternatively venture into another camera system altogether. I'd like to have a decent scope that would produce reasonably sharp images of birds that would not be destined for publication or contests - just pictures that I can enjoy of birds that would be otherwise too far away for anything but a poor diagnostic photo. I'm not thinking that weight is a great issue - I picture a scope as something I would use in a stationary location for shorebirds, waterfowl, maybe cranes. I'd also like to use the scope with my iPhone 14 Pro (and there is another thread devoted to that). I realize that there are a lot of subjectives in my question but I really don't know how to begin the process of looking for a scope.
I have the same camera and the Swarovski setup. I’ve only used it twice. I guess I just enjoy finding, not photographing. I plan to sell the camera and Swarovski digiscoping setup if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back