• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D70 missing body cap (1 Viewer)

deborahp

There's a used Nikon D70 for sale on eBay that's shown without the body cap. I emailed to ask how long it had been that way, hoping the cap was included in the sale and had only been off for a few minutes. But no, the cap is missing and has to be replaced. The camera will be shipped in a plastic bag (plus the other original packaging) even though the seller replied that the cap had been off for "only 20 minutes". The camera was also shown powered up without the cap. No lens is included and I don't think the seller is the original owner.

Does the mirror that's visible - or other parts inside - collect static electricity and gather dust & dirt? If so, can it be cleaned with a lens brush or does it need professional cleaning now?

I have a D100 and never leave the camera without lens or body cap on. It is not so much dust getting onto the mirror as onto the sensor. In this case the camera may have been laying around for some time without any protection. There is a high probability of dust on the sensor which will appear as spots on images. If you are new to digital and like me are not confident about cleaning the sensor I would give it a miss. I have read on the forum that if sent away for cleaning they can come back in a worse state.
I have been into photography since the 60's and have a number of well used Nikons and have not suffered from dust on the mirror. Personally I would not touch the mirror even with a fine brush, and never use compressed air.

Thanks, I didn't know that about the sensor, this will be my first DSLR... but I do know I never left the lens or cap off my old SLR ever. Watching the auctions ending, there's so little difference between the used and new prices on D70s that it doesn't make sense to buy there.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back