• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D9300 DX rumoured (2 Viewers)

Nikon's recent decisions have posed a problem for owners of D300's and D700's who want the fps. Those on a limited budget aren't being encouraged to buy a new Nikon camera.

I just bought a 5200 and a couple of decent lenses. I'm going to spend some time, maybe a year learning to take acceptable pictures before thinking about upgrading. If Nikon doesn't have a decent DX upgrade under $2000 the I'm not out a great deal to go to Cannon. The reason for the Nikon? first my wife has been Church of Nikon for many years and second I have a local guy that gets me great deals on Nikon "refurbished" gear. Body with kit lens and an 18X140 and a 55X300 for a thousand dollars. Plenty of camera for some one whose only camera since the days of film is a Panasonic FZ200

Yet more on the subject from Thom Hogan:
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/watch-for-closing-windows.html

The upshot, within the next 5 months he thinks a "window may be closing" on the possibility of a D300s successor, due to the likely appearance of some sort of DX mirrorless body that would make any new expensive traditional DX body seem too "old school." Interestingly, he thinks within 1 more generation the D3XXX/D5XXX bodies with mirrors will stop and the new consumer DX bodies will be mirrorless. Although he speculates on the D3300 replacement, the D7100 is due for a replacement even sooner, but he says nothing about that. I hope Nikon's only answer to the 7D2 is not a mirrorless body with inferior continuous autofocus... We'll just have to wait and see.

Dave

Nikon 1 is all the mirror less we need from nikon,
drop the built in flash instead and make a huge pentaprism viewfinder,
that would be a great feature on an APS body,

I think its impossible to satisfy everyone, honestly, every camera has some bug, even D4s, will have issues somewhere along the line.

If DX is/ was such a big thing then Nikon would have carried it forward, surely, but something is hampering that process. I think part of the problem is inventory, as the D300s is still available off the shelf.

I for one was always in the DX camp, and I absolutely adored my D7000, but recently upgraded to a D610, and from what I have seen so far I can't say I miss my D7000 at all. ISO3200 on D610 looks like ISO800 on my D7000. Attached a yellow billed kite at ISO5600, 300f4+1.4TC, Pretty nifty for a prosumer camera to my mind anyway.

Do I miss the so called reach, not yet, maybe, but I will just improve my stalking skills

All the best

Attachments

• ybk juv-3.jpg
    ybk juv-3.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 207
Agree with you there ! First mkii shots are out and looking reasonable , af reportedly excellent so in this light I'll be off to the other side . I don't want huge heavy pro camera , I had d800 and it went with a d7100 replacement .Still things l'm not happy with so we'll see

Personally I'm selling my D3s to add a 750 to my 800E. The 800E is used far more often than the D3s now as it is - the 12MP of the D3s simply won't cut it for cropping purposes and it is very rare I actually need 9/10 fps.

The 750 covers most bases ; 6.5fps (vs 10 of the 7DII), 51 focus points (65 of the 7DII but the focus system of the 750 is I believe that of the D4 so no problems there !), great VF (much larger than 7DII), Hi-res screen (20% higher than 7DII - and I like the flip-out screen too, very useful on a tripod), downside is the 1/4000 shutter speed - but that is only 1 stop so can be recovered by lowering the ISO one stop, battery life is 1230 shots (vs, 670 of the 7DII) and the shutter is whisper-quiet - a real plus in bird photography !
The 750's high ISO and DR is also demonstrably proven in numerous reviews, 7DII we will have to wait and see if it delivers in the field.

Both are weather-sealed, both have continuous focus video and both have 2 storage slots. Where I live the price difference is negligible, the 750 is ca. US$150 more expensive. I guess that's similar elsewhere too.

The 750 also has a built-in flash, is lighter (750 vs 910g) and has in built-in focus motor (very important for use with the whole system's lenses) if any of those are important to you. If I was already using Nikon then I'd take the 750 over the 7DII because I don't see the Canon as offering enough to consider a change.

Personally I would not change my whole system anyway for one camera that will be matched / obsolete in a year or two, I've too much invested in my Nikon lenses. If you are already using Canon it makes sense to go for the 7DII because they don't currently have a good prosumer birding camera at the moment though my birding buddy is happy with his 6D.

Well the rumour mills are running again….NR today

New 24.7MP sensor from Sony
EXPEED 4b processor
Nikon Advanced Multi-CAM 3600DX autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, fine-tuning, 72 focus points (including 39 cross-type sensors; f/10 supported by 39 sensors)
ISO: 100-12,600 (expandable to 50-51,200)
Shutter speed 30-1/8000
1.3x crop mode
8 fps; 10 fps with external grip
Video: full HD (1080p) - 120FPS, no 4K
Similar in shape to the Nikon D810
Large viewfinder with 100% coverage

Looks like an answer to our requests.

F10 AF would mean a F5.6 lens with TC-1.7 would still AF, so an 80-400mm would be an equivalent 1360mm using the 1.3 crop mode and of course an 800mm would be twice that. ;)

Last edited:
I find the comparison with the D7100 a little hard to believe in regards to the low ISO scores. :cat:

Just going by the dpreview standard sample shot tool, it looks to my eyes like the results pan out the following way:
ISO 100 - Nikon D7100
ISO 200+ - Canon 7DII

Usable regular ISO:
Nikon 100 -> 400
Canon 100 -> 1600

I'm not too sure yet how the lesser DR and Color Depth scores of the Canon 7DII will pan out in practice, particularly at ISO 200+, which is where a lot of golden hours long lens stuff is done.

The D9300 DX looks nice on paper (especially the 1.3x in camera crop), needs Wifi, GPS, and UHS II SD cards, though I wonder how serious Nikon is, and if and when it will make an appearance?

Of course then they'll need to trot out some pro grade lightweight lenses coz Canon has been roundly kicking their *rs* for a while in that department.

I wonder if Nikon is serious about being in business at all??

Chosun :gh:

Personally I'm selling my D3s to add a 750 to my 800E. The 800E is used far more often than the D3s now as it is - the 12MP of the D3s simply won't cut it for cropping purposes and it is very rare I actually need 9/10 fps.

The 750 covers most bases ; 6.5fps (vs 10 of the 7DII), 51 focus points (65 of the 7DII but the focus system of the 750 is I believe that of the D4 so no problems there !), great VF (much larger than 7DII), Hi-res screen (20% higher than 7DII - and I like the flip-out screen too, very useful on a tripod), downside is the 1/4000 shutter speed - but that is only 1 stop so can be recovered by lowering the ISO one stop, battery life is 1230 shots (vs, 670 of the 7DII) and the shutter is whisper-quiet - a real plus in bird photography !
The 750's high ISO and DR is also demonstrably proven in numerous reviews, 7DII we will have to wait and see if it delivers in the field.

Both are weather-sealed, both have continuous focus video and both have 2 storage slots. Where I live the price difference is negligible, the 750 is ca. US$150 more expensive. I guess that's similar elsewhere too.

The 750 also has a built-in flash, is lighter (750 vs 910g) and has in built-in focus motor (very important for use with the whole system's lenses) if any of those are important to you. If I was already using Nikon then I'd take the 750 over the 7DII because I don't see the Canon as offering enough to consider a change.

Personally I would not change my whole system anyway for one camera that will be matched / obsolete in a year or two, I've too much invested in my Nikon lenses. If you are already using Canon it makes sense to go for the 7DII because they don't currently have a good prosumer birding camera at the moment though my birding buddy is happy with his 6D.
What about the crop factor though? I really like the idea of the 750 but that's the one thing that puts me off...
Sean

What about the crop factor though? I really like the idea of the 750 but that's the one thing that puts me off...
Sean

People really need to get past this crop factor thing. Once you get to FX you won't regret your move….. It took me a looooong time to get courage, but since I have upgraded, everything just seems to work better, focus, ISO etc etc.

Just always remember, a 500mm lens remains a 500mm lens, FX or DX, so it really makes no difference. If you to far from your target, DX is not gonna save your bacon, and really, how large do you really print or is it just Facebook??

Regards

FX for birding is such a waste of money. Paying three times more for an FX camera, D810 v D300, just to throw away all those millions of pixels to use it as a DX. Then to get a similar photo, instead of buying a 300mm f4 you need a 500mm f4. Then when cropped, the dynamic range drops to DX values anyway. Most birders have a limited budget and that's why they want DX. In an ideal world, I'd like an 18MP DX camera with a 500mm f5.6 with AF @f8 so it could be used with a TC14. Nikon, are you listening?

FX for birding is such a waste of money. Paying three times more for an FX camera, D810 v D300, just to throw away all those millions of pixels to use it as a DX. Then to get a similar photo, instead of buying a 300mm f4 you need a 500mm f4. Then when cropped, the dynamic range drops to DX values anyway. Most birders have a limited budget and that's why they want DX. In an ideal world, I'd like an 18MP DX camera with a 500mm f5.6 with AF @f8 so it could be used with a TC14. Nikon, are you listening?

A great big HAHAHA !! 3:) ...... Nikon never listens !

Their business strategy seems to be that they want all their customers to either stump up for FF pro bodies + 600F4X2TC or they can go to Canon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek!::eek!:

Chosun :gh:

Do you only shoot birds?? No landscapes, star trails, the odd wedding??

Agree with 500f5.6, but Nikon don't give a hoot

All the best

People really need to get past this crop factor thing. Once you get to FX you won't regret your move….. It took me a looooong time to get courage, but since I have upgraded, everything just seems to work better, focus, ISO etc etc.

Regards

I have to agree with Swainsons, since purchasing a D700 I have never felt the need to use the D300. People are so hung up over crop factors, there are some great used cameras out there now, D800/ D800e dropping in price since the launch of the D810. I have no desire to scrimp for a D4s when a D8xx is so versatile. My only question is; Do I get the 810 to get better AF than my D800e? Trade in Vs benefit?
Attached are a couple of images from the D800e, the Kes with prey would have been impossible on a DX body as the noise at 3200iso would not be good and as for the sunny shot I'm happy.

Attachments

• kestrel-with-prey-web.jpg
    kestrel-with-prey-web.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 131
  • kestrel-web.jpg
    kestrel-web.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I'm sorry but respectfully I must offer an opposing view. I'm tired of hearing you guys tell me to just go get a D8XX and forget about DX. I still think APS-C is a more sensible format for bird photography simply because 99% of the time you will not be able to use the image outside the DX area, so it's like accepting a tool that is obviously not perfectly suited to the task. A D9300--done right--would be a better tool.

I will concede that if you need to shoot in less than ideal light conditions and use higher ISO, FX may be the best option. But very often I don't need to shoot at ISO more than 400. And under good light conditions, I'm just not convinced that the D8XX cameras will do a lot better than my D7100.

Since you're posting examples I will too. Convince me. Here are a 3 shots from my D7100, small jpegs showing the completely uncropped frame, and for fun I added additional black area outside the DX frame that approximates the FX frame. Show me some D8XX uncropped frames that compare to these. Click on the links to see larger finished jpegs. And after you convince me, please send me ~$1500 US, which is the approximate additional cost of a new D810 compared to what a D9300 would cost if it existed (D810 currently shows ~$3300 at B&H; I'm guessing a D9300 would come in ~$1800, same as the 7D MkII). OH, and I shoot a lot of tiny birds, so please throw in $40 to cover a DK-17M magnifying eyepiece to help me find that little flycatcher deep inside the DX crop. :-O

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38295196/_DSC0392_Red-shouldered_Hawk.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38295196/_DSC2178_Osprey.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38295196/_DSC5300_Pacific_Slope_Flycatcher.JPG

Thank you!
Dave

Attachments

• _DSC0392.JPG
    _DSC0392.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 98
  • _DSC2178.JPG
    _DSC2178.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 127
  • _DSC5300.JPG
    _DSC5300.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back