• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D9300 DX rumoured (4 Viewers)

I don't have d810 so i can't crop as much but is this what you're asking ?

Attachments

• DSC_0235-2.jpg
    DSC_0235-2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0235.jpg
    DSC_0235.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 126
Nice shot Les,
And yes, that is the sort of thing I invited. But if that is an FX image, I'm still not convinced to give up on DX. ;)

I'm a little afraid I might have started some sort of "pissing contest" with my post. The "FX vs. DX" discussion for bird photography is long and tired. So let me reiterate: Nikon is making some fine FX cameras. I'm very tempted to get a D750 as my first full frame body. I know the FX bodies will do better at high ISO, and I'm even ready to believe that the larger higher quality pixels of a D8XX can capture equivalent or sometimes slightly better detail and quality at low ISO. What I'm not ready to accept is that the current D8XX bodies are significantly better than my D7100 at low ISO. I still want to believe that under ideal conditions, maybe the extra pixels on the bird allow a small advantage. Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time... The flycatcher photo is a good example of how much I can crop a 24MP DX image and still get something I like; I think maybe I pushed the resolution a little too far when I first posted it, and I forgot to smooth out the noise. So the flycatcher image is a little better now.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave,
mine is D750 crop .D750 was bought for general photography, not birding but it does better than I expected. I got rid of my d7100 because of lens weight problems but I may keep my big lens for hides only.

Pulling this thread back to it's title for a minute, does anyone think that a Nikon D9300/D7200 will come out within the next few months?? I want to upgrade both body and lens (from Canon 7D) and would be very interested in comparing the 7D Mkii with a new Nikon crop frame camera. But the rumours have gone a bit cold on it and I don't want to wait half a year to decide...

Thanks
Sean

Sean,
A lot of camera makers announce new products for the CP+ show coming up in February. Presently, at the bottom of the page I see an advertisement for a "blow out sale" on the D7100, body only for $584. In February the D7100 will be 2 years old; it's due for an upgrade. Furthermore all the other bodies in the line-up have already been updated more recently than the D7100 (DX: D3XXX, D5XXX, FX: 4 more recent bodes). I read that the surplus inventory of all the old bodies is finally diminishing (D3200, D5200, etc.). Nikon has offered no direct answer to the 7D Mk2 yet, and historically Canon and Nikon almost always match each other's offerings pretty closely. I can't imagine that Nikon doesn't care if people like you to have nothing on the Nikon side to compare to the 7D MkII. So a D7XXX upgrade really makes sense now, but despite all this I have no clue what Nikon will do; that is their problem... I guess they would say it's my problem. They place a higher value on secrecy than giving their customers any hint of their plans (and Canon is not much better as far as secrecy goes)... Anyway I predict at least a D7200 or D7300 announced by the end of January or early February, and I'll bet you 25 CENTS that I'm right!

--D

Last edited:
The rumours do seem to be slightly solidifying into a D7200 to be announced at the CP+ show in Feb 2015. I will await it with interest...
Sean

A D400 by another name

It seems more rumoured that the 'D400' is a better bet for naming rights .... it's interesting that we have been waiting with baited breath on these various threads for over 2 years now! ...... rumours again persist about a September 2015 delivery (Oops! missed that one didn't ya's!), or early 2016 ........ interestingly, even the rumours are getting 'tired' - with some suggesting only 51 AF pts ----- Hello! the two year old D7100 already has that - time to step up!!! It's been so long that I'm not even sure which thread to post on any more - so I've had a crack at both ......

Where on earth is the D400?! that has been on it's way for half a dozen years or more!!! ..... surely Nikon has had enough time to eyeball the Canon 7DII by now, and solidify a spec that roundly kicks it's bot bot ??

While the D7200 is a useful step forward (although two years too late to save me from the frustrations of the D7100's hamstrung buffer!), the need for a pro level APS-C donk with the full bannana 10fps+ cannot be understated ..... time has now marched on so far that goodies like UHS II bus for SD cards, 4K video (@30fps at least please), and a greater number of focus points (the rumoured D5 is rumoured to have 173pts - allegedly!), and importantly a goodly portion (or all) of cross type sensors to imbiggen the 3D tracking performance are de riguer. It would also want to offer class leading screen quality (not just a measly 1M dots) and you would think full tilting would be a no brainer ...... but then again this is Nikon we are talking about! All sorts of other goodies have been rumoured over time such as WiFi, focus at f8 or even 10! etc. They must beat Canon's 150K RGB sensors, and if Nikon don't keep the highly useful 1.3x in camera crop then they want #@^!&$ r**^!#& !!! :eek!:

Nikon have at long last come to the lighter-weight lens party with the new 500 & 600mm f4's ..... when - O - when will they finally put the 300mm f2.8 on a magnesium /carbon fibre, and FL glass diet ??? ----- you muppets are killing me! :gn:

Well Mr Nikon-san my budget for the D400 and 600mm f4 is allocated ..... how about stumping up the camera before I'm as old and grey as time itself? :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back