• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50, ED82 star tests (2 Viewers)

Astroguy2000

Did some star testing on my ED82 and ED50 with a led light and foil with pin hole approx 25m away

ED50 tested better with easily visible perfectly round defocused rings inside and outside focus.
Pictures show them as oval rings for some reason.

ED82 had round defocused rings, inside focus had more easily distinguishable rings than outside.

Attachments

• ED82 inside focus.jpg
    ED82 inside focus.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 18
  • ED82 outside focus.jpg
    ED82 outside focus.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 16
  • ED50 inside focus p.jpg
    ED50 inside focus p.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 17
  • ED50 outside focus.jpg
    ED50 outside focus.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thanks for the test images. Would've been interesting if you had star test images of the returned Monarch to compare with these.

My inexperienced impression is the brightened center in one side and darkened on the other side indicate there is spherical aberration on both scopes, though the smaller scope has less of it. Also a bit of coma on the larger and none on the smaller. Hope someone with better experience and knowledge will chime in and correct me.

Possibly spherochromatism, but nothing to worry about.

The more interesting feature is the departure of ED 82 from perfect circular symmetry. Has the scope acclimatised properly - how long has it been out before the test? Was the Sun shining at it?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back