• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

star test for dummies, apologies in advance (1 Viewer)

rockwind

i wanted to do a star test on my zeiss 85T FL and have been reading about star tests.

does it have to be done at night?

how far away from pinhole should scope be?

how do i know which is inside and outside rings?

using foil, won't the foil reflect other light sources behind the scope and interfere with the test?

how big should the hole poked thru the foil be?

do i need to use digiscope adaptor with phone to take pictures of results? can an iphone take a picture of such dark nature?

does the brightness of the flash light behind it matter? i have super bright ones and not so bright ones.

i used a star once to self-collimate the oculars of my night vision goggles, which worked very well. do i need collimated light (so to speak) for a good test? not even sure how to get an artificial collimated light if so. but i have heard a self star test for a spotting scope is not recommended?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back