• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5000 - first impressions (8 Viewers)

It's a really difficult choice, if you're used to the 4500 you'll take to the P5000 like a duck to water, especially with its great improvements on the screen, general layout, menus etc. I'm not sure the VR is a great help, it's difficult to know if it works well or not, I still get shakey shots at good shutter speeds so it's not a cure all. Image quality is great, it has a better dynamic range in good sunlight than the F30 (doesn't blow the highlights so quickly) and not so much in the way of chromatic aberrations, also I particularly like the colours it produces - much more natural looking than the F30. It does produce noise, unlike the F30, but nothing that can't be removed with software quite easily.
The F30 on the other hand is unbeatable for low light use, is much faster in focussing and shooting and as you know can be used at higher ISO's with good results.
If you lived where the conditions were dull more often than sunny, or you intend to hand-hold the camera, I'd say the F30 was the one to go for but if you want that little bit better quality go for the P5000.

I expect all this doesn't really help you in your choice, just give you more to think about, so the only realistic answer is to order one or the other via internet shopping and if you don't like it or want to try the other one send it back within 7 days and get a refund under your Distant Shopping Rights - (Amazon, and several others I've used, have refunded with no problem) - all it will cost you is the return postage, about £6 or £7.

Regards

John
Cheers for the prompt and honest response. It does and it doesnt help. I guessed when I posed the question that it might not be an easy black and white option so in some ways your response confirmed this.

Beckenham Kent has its fair share of sunshine so I guess UK weather isnt an issue and I have just ordered the srb gritum swing away adaptor so I dont intend to hand hold.

I wasnt aware of the "Distant Shopping Rights" so this may be an option

The Fuji F30 has a 3 shot Self-timer Mode and the very useful Last Three Frames capture. You hold the shutter down to take a Continuous Series of up to 20 frames (I think from memory ) and when you see the action that has happened you release the shutter and it only stores the last 3 frames. Very nice. Neil.

My thoughts would be go for the F30, very cheap now, and I presume it won't be available for much longer. Not sure what adaptor you have if any, this may influence your choice?
Wait to hear what John H suggests, I am sure he will see your posting.

Malc
Thanks - Any particular reason why?
By chance have just read that the F40 is out very soon !

John

Thanks for your answer. I'll look through the adapters forum and do a bit of experimenting.

Christian

Christian, there is an adapter for the P5000 - UR-E20 - that screws into the base of the lens and has a 28mm female thread at the other end, you might be able to work away from here with a tube-type adapter, but, and I'm not sure on this, I tried the adapter today just holding it up to the scope eyepiece and it didn't allow the camera lens to come close enough to the eyepiece, it gave more vignetting than I get by having the lens set up at about 1mm away from the eyepiece when the camera is at full zoom.
One thing to remember is the camera zoom extends slightly more at full zoom than minimum zoom so you need to take this into account when setting it up.

Alternatives are the universal types and/or swing-out types, have a look through the digiscoping adapters forum an it might give you some ideas.

Regards

John

Christian,
Just had another go with the UR-E20 adapter, this time set up on my swing-out adapter instead of hand-holding it and it seems to work fine when resting on the scope eyepiece itself. I should think that it would be OK with the tube-type adapters plus the universal and swing-out types as well (although this is tongue in cheek as I haven't tried them), if it does work OK it will eliminate any chance of the lens crashing into the eyepiece.

Regards

John

Foxfoto Adapter

Hi all,
I've just registered with birdforum but have been reading the posts for quite some time.

I'm on my way to purchase a new camera (I love my canon S80 but it's just about had it). The P5000 looks pretty good but I'm wondering if the foxfot universal adapter will work with it? Any ideas?

It's great to have a chance to talk to you all.

The P5000 looks pretty good but I'm wondering if the foxfot universal adapter will work with it? Any ideas?

It's great to have a chance to talk to you all.

Welcome onboard JC, :t:

I haven't used the Foxfoto adapter myself, but having seen its clever design I can't see any reasons, why it shouldn't work just as well as with other compacts.

Best regards,

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back