• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Prostaff 7S (10x42) vs Kowa SV or SVII (1 Viewer)

diverdude1

China
Kowa runs about 50-90usd more here, but I hear such good things about 7S, and hear hardly anything about SV or SVII. When I do read something on Kowa, it seems all over the place, from Great (Fluorite models) to middling average for the new China-made ones. What I keep coming back to in my own considerations is that Nikon is so mass-produced, while Kowa seems more a crafted product. Most people have been told all their life that mass-produced is synonymous with poor quality, or at least an uninspired product. Anyway, insights/advice/comments much appreciated. (please excuse the English)

Last edited:
If you have access to Vortex products, I believe the Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42 would be a better choice. Probably slightly cheaper than the Kowa and with a better warranty.

Nothing at all against Kowa, but I would think that at the level of the Kowa SV or SVII, they are just as much "mass produced" as the ProStaff. As always, if you can try before you buy, you're more likely to make a satisfactory purchase.

If you have access to Vortex products, I believe the Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42 would be a better choice. Probably slightly cheaper than the Kowa and with a better warranty.
Rarely see Vortex here, but after research was very impressed. Price for Diamondback is maybe 35usd less than Kowa.

Nothing at all against Kowa, but I would think that at the level of the Kowa SV or SVII, they are just as much "mass produced" as the ProStaff. As always, if you can try before you buy, you're more likely to make a satisfactory purchase.
I hear you, and kinda thought the same thing. Tough for me to hands-on unfortunately.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back