• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE (5 Viewers)

As a follow up, I emailed the expert that the SE models were not waterproof, he replied that I am incorrect, and that B&H stated they were waterproof on their website. LMOL.

he replied that I am incorrect, and that B&H stated they were waterproof on their website
That is sadly true, down to the "3.3 ft" figure. One wonders how they came to say that (of the 8x32 as well), as there's no weather/splash language at all on Nikon's own -- where this guy should be looking now. Or anywhere else for that matter...

No, the SE's were not/are not "waterproof" in the way that modern roof prism binos are waterproof. You can't submerge them and expect them to survive. I have used my SE's (I have all three models, mostly use the 10 x42) in the rain and it's been no problem.

The reason why I have begun reluctant to use my SE's except occasionally is that the rubber eyecups are prone to becoming brittle and they are not replaceable. One can treat them with Armor All or whatever to extend their life, but their vulnerability still bothers me. But I love the SE binoculars, truly.

No, the SE's were not/are not "waterproof" in the way that modern roof prism binos are waterproof. You can't submerge them and expect them to survive. I have used my SE's (I have all three models, mostly use the 10 x42) in the rain and it's been no problem.

The reason why I have begun reluctant to use my SE's except occasionally is that the rubber eyecups are prone to becoming brittle and they are not replaceable. One can treat them with Armor All or whatever to extend their life, but their vulnerability still bothers me. But I love the SE binoculars, truly.
Steve Ingraham of 'Better View Desired' fame noted that his SE's got wet repeatedly, but were fully restored by drying them for a couple of days.
So I would not be too concerned about 'waterproof' certification, the binocular insides are glass, they won't dissolve if wet.

the binocular insides are glass, they won't dissolve if wet.
They won't, but if water keeps getting into them, you're going to have haze and probably fungus issues in the medium term - see first hand report from this chap in New England (link). Being rained on is one thing, they're shielded quite well and can probably handle that (would put them away if it was a downpour though). Being used in the rain - focus worked back and forth, pumping air into the binocular - is a different thing.

They are a fine binocular, still very good optically, but if you expect to contend with heavy bursts of rain etc or a humid tropical environment it'd be better to use a sealed binocular. Who here has only one bino anyway! :giggle:

I have seen hundreds of glass lenses, glass binoculars and glass scopes ruined or destroyed by fungus.

Actually, the new telescopes by Taylor in the late 1800s did dissolve more in humid locations. They had to be repolished every few years until they became unusable.

Regards,
B.

NDcollector being unaware that rain sometimes comes down unexpectedly. Maybe his mama should have let him out of the house a bit more...
Getting caught in the rain is one thing , observing in a down pour is another. Once it starts pouring the binoculars are useless. I have on occasion been able to glass in the poring rain with a spotting scope with an improvised, long rubber dew shield.

Real birders bird in the rain…

Real birders bird in the rain…

You da man..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back