• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NJ, USA: Raven? (1 Viewer)

JohnJos

Folks, I took this photo in September 2009 at Cape May, NJ. I've always assumed it was an American Crow. But I posted this recently to my website and now I'm having second thoughts. I've looked at all of my guides as well as BNA Online and I'm thinking it's a Raven. Please provide your thoughts. Thanks, John

Attachments

• _MG_0173-Edit_1024.jpg
    _MG_0173-Edit_1024.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I think it's a Crow; a Raven would show feathering on the upper mandible reaching further out, to over half of the upper bill. The tail looks straight, not wedge-shaped to me. The left outermost rectrix looks as long as the other rectrices.

Best regards,

Ronald

I think it's a Crow; a Raven would show feathering on the upper mandible reaching further out, to over half of the upper bill. The tail looks straight, not wedge-shaped to me. The left outermost rectrix looks as long as the other rectrices.

Best regards,

Ronald

I agree. The bird also seems small in relation to the pole it's sitting on.

Thanks folks. I'm tending to agree. I guess I was trying to see something that wasn't there. I had relooked at my guides after I posted and also came up with Crow for many of the same reasons you've posted: size, tail, bill.. I also looked at my other photos of this bird and don't see any conclusive evidence that this is a Raven. Thanks for your help.
John

Thanks folks. I'm tending to agree. I guess I was trying to see something that wasn't there. I had relooked at my guides after I posted and also came up with Crow for many of the same reasons you've posted: size, tail, bill.. I also looked at my other photos of this bird and don't see any conclusive evidence that this is a Raven. Thanks for your help.
John

John, You'll know it's a Raven when you see one!

Like many young birders I began my interest in BoP, and Im lucky to live on an RSB reserve where we have many. We also have many corvids, and since seeing ravens for the first time 4 years ago I have come to see tham as truly the dominant birds in the sky, we have a local pair and they own the mountain. When I look at them now i think 'BoP' before 'crow'.

This is a great picture of a crow, and shows just how similar the two species are. Without a raven for scale the mistakes are so easily made. As others have said, when you see a raven you instantly know, they are some of my favorite birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back