• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No humming birds in NE Ohio (1 Viewer)

krisdb423

I live in NE Ohio, a little south of Cleveland, and I put up a hummingbird feeder for the first time this year, a month or so ago, and have yet to see a hummingbird. I used regular, store bought, "nectar", with a mixture of 1 teaspoon to 2 ounces of water.

I live fairly close to a national highway, in that, you can hear the sounds of the traffic if I open the window. Its not very loud, but can that be a reason hummingbirds would avoid an area?

Thanks in advance.

Don't give up. Is your feeder red? Are you changing the nectar? Hummers are pretty bold, so I don't think the sound of the highway would keep them away. They just need time to find you. I hope you're finding out as much as you can about hummingbirds on this site...there are way more experienced people than I here that can help you.

A lot depends upon your weather and how often you change the nectar.

Thanks for the response. My feeder is red. I haven't been changing the nectar, but I did this weekend. I also moved the feeder to a more visible location.

I guess I was wondering if the highway sounds would discourage hummingbirds from a certain area, but it sounds like it doesn't.

Thanks again.

Don't give up hope. Hummingbirds are use to the sound of cars. It all depends on how many hummingbirds are in your area. The first time I put up one it was about 3 or 4 weeks before I saw one feeding. They will eventually find it and remember where it's location is. Do you have flowers near by. That also helps draw them in.

there must be fewer hummys this year,, I live just West of St. Louis, Missouri and last year had many birds for most of the season,, have seen one this year for migration and none since,, sister in-law five miles away is in the same boat,, no birds at her feeders,, several feeders anound the neighborhood and no one is have any results,,

Hummers are making a lot of people scratch their heads this year. Normally, this time of year I've got a couple of dozen fighting over the feeders. I haven't seen a one in two weeks and a fellow member in NC is seeing far fewer than he normally does as well.

Hummers are making a lot of people scratch their heads this year. Normally, this time of year I've got a couple of dozen fighting over the feeders. I haven't seen a one in two weeks and a fellow member in NC is seeing far fewer than he normally does as well.

Folks, hummingbirds like every other living creature, go through peaks and valleys in their populations caused, in part, by predators and in part by resource availability. If you recall, last year KC was talking about the great hummingbird season he was having (as was almost every other poster on this board just so you know I am not picking on KC). High prey numbers create great resources for the predators and put a strain on the resources used by the prey. At the end of the year, serveral people posted about seeing interesting predators that they could not recall around their feeders before. This year, hummingbird numbers APEAR to be down, when actually it is simply a normal adjustment to keep nature in ballance.

I have just as many as I did last year or more. I have a total of 11 feeders up here is South Carolina . I had to buy more which I already did that last year and I'm having fix gallons at a time. I have to use 1 gallon 1/2 every single day. But that okay because I have been waiting on them. I seen one at the end of April and then another and then a bunch of them that I enjoy watching when I'm home from work.

I live in SW Ohio, and the number of hummingbirds at my feeders are WAY down. I think we may have only one, two at most. Very strange.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back