• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Non-birder in Bali (Indonesia) being driven crazy by loud nocturnal bird (1 Viewer)

Richard_Bali

Hi,

I was directed to this forum.

I live in Bali, Indonesia, in a mixed urban-agricultural sea level area. A month or so ago a bird showed up--well, sounded out--at our house on the edge of rice fields. Different than the usual song birds and it's driving me crazy. It's nocturnal, starts flying and chirping at sunset through most of the night to sunrise. It makes monotonous sequential chirps for hours on end as it flies around the house. Each chirp is around a second long--a "CHuweET" loud and piercing, one right after the other. I've only gotten a good glimpse of it once at dusk--about a foot long, I'd say, and I *think* I saw white bars on the underside of a wing. It's not one of the normal birds around here--I wonder if it's escaped from a collector's cage (hurrah). A friend suggested a nightjar, but no recording of nightjars I've listened to matches the call. I'd at least like to know what bird it is.

Thanks,
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back