• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Non-Europeans what European bird would you like to see? (1 Viewer)

Already seen European Bee-eater as a wintering bird in South Africa. Also while European Bee-eater is cool, there are lots of other bee-eaters, some of which I think people might find cooler looking.
In my opinion the European bee-eater is the prettiest in Eurasia. The others seem to favour a single colour while the euro bee-water is diverse with colours. I hope to get my first this year.

I've read so much about jackdaws, they sound really cool, I'd love to see them.

The only interesting vagrant I've heard about this year in these parts (northeast USA) is a Barnacle Goose in Newton, Massachusetts, so far I have not been able to catch up with him. Actually the Stellar's Sea Eagle did appear again near Portland, Maine last month, but he moved on before I could get up there. He's got his own website:

If you're interested in Jackdaws, there are four recognised subspecies, and they should roughly look like this (photos chosen from eBird based on the description from en.wiki and my somewhat limited experience with the local ssp.; unfortunately, individual variation is huge):
C. m. cirtensis,
C. m. spermologus,
C. m. monedula,
C. m. soemmerringii.

Can recall during the ‘70’s a much older representative (bit of a toff) who worked for the company (lived in East Sussex), regaling me with news that his local doctor, had seen a “Hoop-ow” in his garden, no doubt thinking that “ow” sounded better than “oo….presume there’s no connection with the above then.🤣

Interesting that most respondents on this thread are Europeans, stating what they think are the most desirable/iconic species those from outside Europe may want to see ...

;)

(And the question would get different answers from, presumably Americans or Australians, and birders or non-birders, as we are 'fed' information on what is deemed iconic etc (I think Wallcreeper exemplifies this?))

I thought I was going to get some mentions of the bearded reedling, European golden oriole, roller, demoiselle crane etc… to me those are some of the most fantastic we have. Also no mentions of any of our sylvids… 😟
I would not count Demoiselle Crane as a European bird - Asian. I need it for my WP list, and the only likely spots are on passage in Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt and further east.

So what is the point of the final "e" ?! :) Seriously I have many birds that I only know by English name but don't know how it's pronounced. Meeting especially British birders in the field is always fun ...

I think Opisska was thinking of this thread ...

Probably done to death previous threads too?! ;-)

Well off the original topic but Pochard, plover, Gyr, Glaucous, Taiga, Balearic, and Sabine's all have more than one common way of being pronounced. Not to mention Baillon's which I always say bail-ons but I guess should be buy-ons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back