• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (68 Viewers)

Titchwell July 22nd

Today's highlights

Green sandpiper - 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Red crested pochard - 6 on Patsy's reebed
Common sandpiper - 4 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 65 on fresh marsh
Barn owl - 2 on East Trail
Whimbrel - 2 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 529 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 2 juvs on fresh marsh this morning
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 169 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 2 1st summers on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 2 adults on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Due a mega Wader soon Paul, thanks for continued updates. I'm sure it's not, but is the Spotted Crake anything like predictable?
Cheers,
Jim.

Fabulous evening at Titchwell RSPB on Tuesday evening including a massive count of 460 Dunlins! The place was teaming with birds:t: Full account on my blog.

Penny:girl:

Due a mega Wader soon Paul, thanks for continued updates. I'm sure it's not, but is the Spotted Crake anything like predictable?
Cheers,
Jim.
The Spotted Crake is anything but predictable Jim!!!;) Another birder had been waiting since 4.30pm (yesterday) and he left as I arrived and no sign whilst I was there, only a water rail.

Penny:girl:

Cheers,
Jim.

Sadly not Jim. Not sure it was seen yesterday. I did have a look early doors but no sign. Been scanning the reed edge this morning but no luck. Tons of bearded tits though

Paul

any norfolk regulars got info on broad billed sand, best times to search ,tidal dependant best area ect heading down that way at weekend .hoping it hangs around

cheers

Titchwell July 23rd

Today's highlights

Avocet - 468 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 108 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 38 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 3 on fresh marsh including a summer plumage adult
Curlew sandpiper - moulting adult this morning only
Spotted redshank - 5 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 6 roosting on fresh marsh from Autumn Trail

Paul

Broad-billed at Snettisham

It seems to be following a fairly predictable pattern, and being on site 2 hours either side of high tide will give best chance of success. As the tide is rising it's been seen fairly regularly quite close in on the mud of the Wash, feeding with Dunlin, anywhere from the end of the chalets onwards. It then relocates onto the lagoons, from where closest views can be had from Shore Hide (the furthest out), but can also be seen more distantly (and often when not visible from Shore Hide) from the 2nd hide. Note it can go missing for quite a while when on the lagoons; we waited about an hour last Sunday for it to come out from behind a couple of roosting Knot. Once the tide starts dropping it can head back out to the Wash at anytime - I'm not sure anyone has managed to find it once it's done this as it tends to go further out.

Thanks for the info, Ben. Very helpful. I notice it was reported about 11.30am today and yesterday, and high tide tomorrow is about 1pm at Hunstanton.

The tides are now dropping out so it is unlikely birds will be pushed onto the pits as the mud will not be completely covered. Scanning the waters edge at high tide will give you the best chance

Paul

Titchwell July 24th

Today's highlights

Big clear out of waders over the last few days

Ruff - 41 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 12 roosting on fresh marsh this afternoon
Avocet - 419 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 25 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Got decent, but fairly distant, views of the Broad-billed Sand. between midday and 1pm (when the tide was at its highest). Paul, you were right about the tide. It didn't come in very close and lots of mud was left uncovered.

Many other waders present in breeding plumage. The Dunlins' black bellies worked to our advantage when picking out the Broad-billed at distance. The good light early afternoon helped as well once the sun came out.

Titchwell July 28th

Today's highlights

Red crested pochard - 7 around the reserve
Bittern - 1 over reedbed
Spoonbill - 7 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 1 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Garganey - moulting female showing well on Patsy's reedbed
Med gull - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell July 29th

Today's highlights

Golden oriole - male seen in trees by the visitor centre briefly at 2pm but no further sign despite searching.
Curlew sandpiper - adult on the fresh marsh this morning but no further sign this afternoon
Wood sandpiper - 1 on drained grazing meadow then on fresh marsh mid morning
Red crested pochard - 7 on reserve
Barn owl - 1 hunting on East Trail
Spoonbill - 6 roosting on fresh marsh
Short eared owl - 1 hunting over the grazing meadow
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh late afternoon

Paul

Titchwell July 30th

Today's highlights

Short eared owl - 1 hunting over the grazing meadow all day
Barn owl - 1 hunting along East Trail
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh close to Island Hide
Spoonbill - 6 on fresh marsh
Garganey - moulting female on Patsy's reedbed

Paul

Quail calling last night at 9.35pm from field opposite, one moment it seemed to be quite close and just behind my neighbours property, then next it would appear to sound distant and way over to the left. Gave it a few minutes this morning but nothing doing so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back