• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (76 Viewers)

Titchwell July 31st

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 8 on fresh marsh
Crossbill - 3 juvs in trees by Fen Hide early morning only
Wood sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 327 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 75 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Red kite - 1 east @ 14:15

Paul

As its a pair in suitable habitat is perhaps best not to disclose location? Given the ability to see this species so easily at designated sites elsewhere.

A good point well made but I believe this is a very temporary visit and probably not suitable territory for anything more than a stop off. If anyone thinks otherwise I will remove the specifics although they were already available on RBA.

Titchwell August 1st

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 11 on fresh marsh until mid afternoon then flew east
Garganey - eclipse drake on fresh marsh, eclipse female on Patsy's reedbed
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - juv on fresh marsh

Paul

Has the silly season arrived.
Cory's on consecutive days at Cley. Pom's claimed when photographs show them to be Arctics
Hmmmm

Here is the Pom from Titchwell, seen at 6.30am 20th July, it buzzed the scrape flushing everything, I ran out of the hide expecting to see a BOP but there it was an adult Pom! Luckily Chris Ward was on the main path and took these snaps as it flew towards him

Apart from the obvious broken spoon, the bird shows a thick breast band, barrel chest, thick two toned bill, golden yellow flush around the nape (more pale lemon on arctic?), very dark vent/lower breast and a dark cap that goes below the bill (the last 2 feature I only learnt very recently). You don't often get such a good view or get to study close up photos.

cheers
Stuart

Attachments

• POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 443.JPG
    POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 443.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 141
  • POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 451.JPG
    POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 451.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 132
  • POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 446.JPG
    POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 446.JPG
    383.3 KB · Views: 91
  • POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 449.JPG
    POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 449.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 95
This probably should be in the mammals section but thought more would see it here....

Did anyone drive past the road kill near the entrance to pensthorpe today? It was on the guist side of the entrance to pensthorpe and looked very much like a small black hairy pig, not sure if wild boar is worth considering, it would not have been an adult but looked very much like a boar! Are there any pigs at pensthorpe? I know it's very unlikely but just wanted to ask the question in case anyone local to fakenham had seen it too, I had cars behind me both ways so could slow too much or stop.

Just to keep to the bird theme of this thread titchwell was stacked with birds this morning. 12 spoonbills, 8 greenshank, 1 little stint, 3 curlew sand, wood sand, garganey as well as an arctic tern on the deck (not sure where the report of 15 came from!) lots of avocet, blackwit a family party of LRP and bearded tits to add to the viewing pleasure too.

Ben I saw the dead animal at Pensthorpe this morning on my way to work. My first impression was it was a well mangled badger , though I did not note any sign of a black and white striped head and did think at the time it must been a hell of a big badger as the body was quite long . Like you I had cars following me so could not stop and it may have been a mistake not to return for a better look. I will ask around to see if any of the locals had a closer look.

This probably should be in the mammals section but thought more would see it here....

Did anyone drive past the road kill near the entrance to pensthorpe today? It was on the guist side of the entrance to pensthorpe and looked very much like a small black hairy pig, not sure if wild boar is worth considering, it would not have been an adult but looked very much like a boar! Are there any pigs at pensthorpe.
I live nearby and have never had any personal evidence of wild boar in suitable habitat, either adults or stripey young, but think that if boar were present then some of the locals would be aware.

I am in Berkshire today otherwise would wander down to the area with my Collins "Guide to British Roadkill".

I don't dispute your pictures are of a Pom Skua. Although from the photo's I can't tell if it is at Titchwell.
However the ones I referred to were those on the Point, which were re-identified by well known Point birders as Arctic Skua's.

I can assure you that the pictures are definitely at RSPB Titchwell because I took them on the 20th July 2015 overlooking Freshmarsh. Stuart met up with me having seen the 'Pom' flying over the marsh and putting up all the waders and asked if I would send him some of the pictures for his records - fortunately I managed to get the shots to confirm the ID.
Here are a couple more!
Chris

Attachments

• POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 455.JPG
    POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 455.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 56
  • POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 444.JPG
    POMARINE SKUA TITCHWELL 19.7.2015 444.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Does it really matter providing they are authenticated by the photographer - Paul Eele also has copies of these photographs taken at TITCHWELL on the day - as they are taken with the bird in the sky, how else can anyone know unless they believe the photographer!

Why not try the N.W.T. website whilst waiting for a reply, or give them a ring....... I would think they've moved by now to a pre migration gathering site.

Thanks. I tried their web site and it is quite uninformative, hence asking on here. I have seen them at Weeting in August before but was trying to get up to date gen.

Must be a bit dude for the folks on here. :eek!:

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back