• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (118 Viewers)

Great White Egret on Holkham freshmarsh at 3.30pm, seen from the Washington Hide. I have a few dodgy record shots and some footage which i'll try and sort out later.

Cheers guys.

I wasn't aware of it's presence at Holkham, being a Derbyshire birder i only checked what Norfolk birds were about the day before we left and along with a very dodgy internet connection whilst we were staying on Kelling Heath, wasn't able to log in to see what else had been reported. So, our first walk down Lady Anne's Drive turned up a nice surprise indeed!

Missed out on the Lapland bunt at Titchwell today having spent the best part of four hours there, right place wrong time scenario!. Nonetheless a Bittern on Patsy's and a Water Rail from the Island Hide weren't bad finds at all and a distant Red Kite topped the session off quite nicely.

My thoughts exactly Jim - just Jake Alienating himself from every Norfolk birder again.

I didn't mean it so rudely just stating it has been there a while.

And Johny, I'd love for you to make these comments to me in the field. I don't think you've once attempted to talk to me? But happy to chat nonsense online.

All the best

I didn't mean it so rudely just stating it has been there a while.

And Johny, I'd love for you to make these comments to me in the field. I don't think you've once attempted to talk to me? But happy to chat nonsense online.

All the best

Hi Jake, as we have met twice that's a bold statement.

Once I let you look through my scope and use it to take a picture with your phone at the BWP when it frequented Cley (nice of me) and once you and Danni? stood talking to Kieran about a subject I had no involvement in/interest in for about 3 minutes.

If you want next time I will come and give you a spoken list of people I know you have hacked off?

Please forward me some more nonsense I have said as I have had one online conversation with you (as I know well enough to keep quiet on online/twitter) where you decided to grill me for local information as soon as moving to the UEA.

Look forward to seeing you out this Autumn...if you don't crash into me first.

Cheers

Hi Jake, as we have met twice that's a bold statement.

Once I let you look through my scope and use it to take a picture with your phone at the BWP when it frequented Cley (nice of me) and once you and Danni? stood talking to Kieran about a subject I had no involvement in/interest in for about 3 minutes.

If you want next time I will come and give you a spoken list of people I know you have hacked off?

Please forward me some more nonsense I have said as I have had one online conversation with you (as I know well enough to keep quiet on online/twitter) where you decided to grill me for local information as soon as moving to the UEA.

Look forward to seeing you out this Autumn...if you don't crash into me first.

Cheers

Righto

Anyone birding tomorrow!?
Weather almost too good. Will anything land? Stuff yet to drift south from Shetland. Patch or coast, just don't know.
If I see any GWE I won't post here ;)

Cheers,
Jim.

We'll be trying Holkham Pines and Wells woods/dell, seen as though we are based here and it's literally a few minutes walk away there is no excuse not to give the whole area a good search, although the weather conditions are too good as you say, Jim.

Anyone birding tomorrow!?
Weather almost too good. Will anything land? Stuff yet to drift south from Shetland. Patch or coast, just don't know.
If I see any GWE I won't post here ;)

Cheers,
Jim.

'm going tolook for that barred warbler as soon as I can drag myself out of this Essex motel. I hope someting else will have arrived meantime :)

Good afternoon everyone,

Having been knocked out with flu for a couple of weeks, it was so lovely to get out yesterday late afternoon / evening with Rob and Steve ( Howell) , for a couple of hours to Rockland.

Rob and I live in Saxlingham Green and regularly bird in the environs.

Here are our observations, below, from our walk at Rockland yesterday, along the marshes, at the Broad and on to the river ( 29th) ( c 4.30pm - 6.30pm ). We recorded 28 species of bird, as well as hearing muntjac's barking.

I will not list the Gulls, as nothing unusual ( BH, LBB, Common); nor the common "garden" birds or communal birds/ ducks/ geese/ water birds.

Grey Heron 1; Treecreeper 1; Siskin 1; Cetti's Warbler 2; Reed Warbler 1; Female Marsh Harriers 2; Snipe 13 ( in flight); Barn Owls 2; Linnet 1; Marsh Tits 2; Cormorants 2 ;Kingfisher 1 (first time recorded there) ; Grey Wagtail 1 ( first time recorded there ).

We also saw Common Darters c 40 and Migrant Hawker 1.

Best wishes, Carol Rushton, Rob Baldock and Steve Howell

Last edited:
INFO/CONFIRMATION REQUESTED

Whilst spending 3 glorious sun soaked days birdwatching in Norfolk, we were fortunate to see, what we were pretty sure to be, Balearic Shearwaters at Salthouse beach on Wed.30 Sept. circa 11.00a.m. 3Nr together flying east. Distant but colouration/markings just distinguishable.

With the many birders around, surely somebody else must have seen them. The only reference I have found was
`30 Sept. a Balearic Shearwater Cley 10.42`.

Any help/sighting record would be appreciated.

Thanks, Richard

Blyth's Pipit at Stiffkey, found by J.M. is only the third for Norfolk and with a Marsh Sandpiper (several Cley local birders don't know who saw this) at Cley - looks like a good start to the October weekend!:t:

Marsh sandpiper seen this morning per RBA. As you say Penelope, hopefully a sign of a few decent birds this week though I missed the fall of Y.B.Ws. a Pallas' will do, but will be good to be back in Norfolk tomorrow.

Marsh sandpiper seen this morning per RBA. As you say Penelope, hopefully a sign of a few decent birds this week though I missed the fall of Y.B.Ws. a Pallas' will do, but will be good to be back in Norfolk tomorrow.
Don't get over excited Pat, duff gen, it was a Greenshank.... you're not missing anything here. Except ME of course!

Don't get over excited Pat, duff gen, it was a Greenshank.... you're not missing anything here. Except ME of course!

Well, I know and have spoken to the two birders who saw it on Saturday morning. They are extremely experienced, knowledgable and not at all trigger happy. I know that several birders who weren't even there have rubbished the record. That doesn't exactly encourage two people who were actually out in the field to call their finds in in future.

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back