• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

Titchwell RSPB this morning 11 Little Stints, 2 Curlew Sandpipers, 2 Common Sandpipers, 1 Green Sandpiper, 14 Spoonbills, 7 Greenshank, 2 Spotted Redshank, 2 Whimbrel, Kingfisher, 20 Ringed Plover, Black Tern, Swift dropped in for a quick feed before departing East, plenty of Bearded Tit activity in the calm conditions. Roosting on the high tide wee good numbers of Bar Tailed Godwit and Knot, with a few Grey Plovr and Turnstosnes.

Arkwrights

Derek Bean in natural habitat, at Cley Beach. Derek was buried today in Cley Churchyard.

Attachments

• DerekBean.jpg
    DerekBean.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 317
Derek Bean

I haven't posted on here for months and have no intention of starting again: I do so now just to thank Richard for the photo and the memories and to express my condolencies...

Arkwrights.

Derek Bean in natural habitat, at Cley Beach. Derek was buried today in Cley Churchyard.

I haven't posted on here for months and have no intention of starting again: I do so now just to thank Richard for the photo and the memories and to express my condolencies...

Wonderful memories of Arkwrights rest in peace Derek a lovely man

Apart from the man, I remember the most welcome albeit primitive toilet facilities and sustaining hot fare available after an often arduous walk to the Point and back.

What a contrast to the present day when one is asked to pay £1.40 an hour for no facilities and for the privilege of parking in a puddle if no other space is available at busy times.

Titchwell September 3rd

Today's highlights

Greenshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 20 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 300 on fresh marsh

Red backed shrike photo from a couple of days ago by Ben Fraser

Paul

Attachments

• RB shrike by Ben Fraser.jpg
    RB shrike by Ben Fraser.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 144
I,m so sorry to here about the loss of Derek Bean .A trip to Cley was never the same without a warm welcome at Arkwrights café. The area will never be the same with the loss of this great Norfolk personnallty.
Thanks Derek for many great memories .You are sadly missed.

Ian The Baker, NORWICH.

RIP God bless

Titchwell September 4th

Today's highlights

Ruff - 50 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 19 on fresh marsh until mid afternoon then flew east
Greenshank - 7 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 6 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 3 on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 over reserve

Paul

red backed shrike titchwell thanks for the update paul only just read ur message at least i got to see a photo .sounds like you had a good arizona trip been following you on twitter cheers martin

Titchwell September 7th

Today's highlights

Little stint - 2 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on tidal pool
Spotted redshank - 8 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 5 on fresh marsh but mobile
Peregrine - 1 hunting over fresh marsh
Hen harrier - 1st ringtail on the autumn over the saltmarsh this morning
Turtle dove - 1 east

Paul

Titchwell September 8th

Today's highlights

Great white egret - 1 reported in the reedbed this afternoon
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 80 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Pity M.A.G's Subalpine Warbler at Kelling Water Meadows didn't hang around!!! Should be more goodies to come over the next few days. Good time to have a holiday...... I'm off from Saturday;):t:

Titchwell September 9th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 1 briefly in pathside vegetation along the main path @ 15:15 but couldn't be relocated
Little stint - 3 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 3 on fresh marsh
Dark bellied brent goose - 30 east
Bittern - several flights over the reedbed this afternoon
Wheatear - juv on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell September 10th

Today's highlights

Wheatear - juv still on fresh marsh today
Pied flycatcher - 1 on Meadow Trail
Treecreeper - 1 on Meadow Trail, a scarce bird here
Spoonbill - 2 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 2 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 80 on fresh marsh
Osprey - 1 reported over the saltmarsh @ 09:15
Bittern - 1 in flight from Fen Hide

Paul

Hi,

I'm thinking of visiting Cley this weekend in the evening looking for Caspian gull, which are being reported on Pat's Pool regularly. I appreciate that weekends aren't the best time to look for these birds but I am going to be in the area anyway and thought is worth a chance. Which hide is best for viewing the gull roost and what is currently the best time to get there?

Also I saw the birds at Cromer last year and have seen the odd report this year. Are they there with any regularity this year?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ian

My understanding is you'll need to be a NWT member to be in any of the hides in the evening, as day permits are 10-5 only, and (unlike at Titchwell) they are not public hides at Cley. If you arrive prior to 5pm, you can join up at the Reserve Centre.
... Then best to be in the hides overlooking Pats Pool at least an hour before dark (dark being 8pm). The Caspians fly in to roost with up to 750 Lesser B-bs and several Yellow-leggeds. The 3rd-w is most regular, but there's been ad and 2nd-w erratically, plus a juv. Also look out for the f-w GB-b Gull x Y-l Gull hybrid, potential fuscus LB-b(ad, sec-w or juvs).

Pats Pool can also be viewed by non-members of NWT from the Reserve Centre car-park.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back