• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (105 Viewers)

If anyone is going to visit Swanton Morley please be considerate to the land owners and any fishermen you meet! Do not park across any gateways, do not drive onto the fisheries - where signs shows not to pass (except at the wooden gate, where no access by car should be made) and please stick to the permissive paths and/or the path on the south side of Holkham lake, which the owners allow reasonable people to use!!

Enjoy!!

Shorelarks: it is best to park in the RSPB carpark (marked on the map, to the north east) and follow the path to the reserve. The Shorelarks are often see on the 'beach' immediately south of where the path meets the seawall. There is no vehicular access to the chalet area - this is strictly private.

I've had to postpone my Norfolk visit due to illness but am still planning to go next week. With regard to the shore larks, Bird Guides are reporting: "two still on the beach by the gated private road". I was just wondering where the gated private road was in relation to the above directions. Is it by the southernmost end of the chalets?

Hi Penny. Hope you are feeling better!

What was the date of that Cory's that we jammed on at Cley. I don't think the four finders have put in a description. Do you think you saw enough to put in a description yourself.

No doubts that it was a Corys - but the bird was going away and I would not be able to describe the bill or its colour. Can describe flight. Size comparison with Both Gannet and manx. Structure and wing shape. Colour of upperparts, contrast of darker brown tail band, contrasting white underparts also underwing pattern/colour.

I seen a few Corys in the uk and more abroad, some fairly close. Don't like writing descriptions on other peoples birds. Also can write an Ok, but incomplete decription from what I saw.

Do not want to see the record lost. But do not want to massage what I saw to get it through!

Hopefully the finders will read this and submit the record.

Regards.

Mark.:cat::cat:

Funny what gets missed from the report - a group of 4 Sab's gulls and a Cory's at Titchwell (seen by a good group of people) last autumn were never submitted, though the Sab's were reported from Holme.

whats the location

The dangers of yearlisting

while trying to get a yeartick on the way home from work today I nearly came a cropper !! I strayed from the path to answer a call of nature and stood on what looked like slightly boggy ground next to a tree. I then disappeared up to my waist !! Good job I'm a strong swimmer. I used my stealth to escape but now smell really bad ! Were the 5 mandarin worth getting totally covered in mud for? Probably not. I think there is a moral there somewhere.

where abouts in norfolk did you see the mandarin's

Late news

We had a report in the sightings book at Titchwell yesterday of a female wheatear at the Hunstanton bowls club. Unfortuantley we didn't see the reporter and only picked up the sighting at the end of the day.

May be worth a look if you are heading that way just in case it is one of the rarer wheatears!

Cn anyone send me to a URL to pick up on high tide tides and heights for the Wash (specifically Snettisham, w/c 22 Feb)? Thanking youse kindly.

James

Titchwell February 6th

Today's highlights

Mealy redpoll - 1 in trees around visitor centre
Long tailed duck - 4 offshore
Velvet scoter - 6 offshore
Spotted redshank - 3 on brackish marsh
Twite - 3 on brackish marsh
Hen harrier - ringtail over saltmarsh
Common buzzard - 1 on grazing marsh
Bittern - 2 together in flight over reedbed
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

where abouts in norfolk did you see the mandarin's

I tried the site twice last year with no luck and once this, they flushed very easily so probably best just to wait for them to return at Felbrigg, also you might fall in a bog! I think the NT were doing work round the back of the lake at Felbrigg over christmas and disturbed them, then with all the ice they've been missing for a while. Should be back soon, I had 13 there last winter.

Whitlingham 6th Feb

Never been before, was well worth the trip though. First the Great Northern Diver was showing off right close in to the shore. Then a red necked grebe. A little further on and a gathering of birders! Saw the Smew, Goosander, Scaup and with a little help from a nearby very helpful birder man the ring-necked duck. so all in all an excellent day.

I am new to the birdforum, but am enjoying reading all the reports and information. Hope may meet some of you on my birding outings. ;)

Sally.

Tundra Bean Goose seen at Welney this morning so I went to have a look - by the time I got there visibility was down to less than 100m! Needless to say I didn't see the bird, but 8 Tree Sparrows by the feeders were very nice to see.

Hiya all

I wonder if any one can help - I shall be coming to East Norfolk tomorrow with my birding mate Bob - annual Jan/Feb trip for Cantley Taiga's and ending at the roost at Stubb Mill for the Cranes.

This time we plan to visit Whitlingham and Chegrave Marshes first- I think we can sort out a route to WCP - but where's the best place to park for the Marshes - we want to see (talons crossed) RLB and SEO -

(usually have a RLB or two on Sheppey but not this year!)

We are raptor lovers so ......

any assistance gratefully received!

Corinna

Hiya all

I wonder if any one can help - I shall be coming to East Norfolk tomorrow with my birding mate Bob - annual Jan/Feb trip for Cantley Taiga's and ending at the roost at Stubb Mill for the Cranes.

This time we plan to visit Whitlingham and Chegrave Marshes first- I think we can sort out a route to WCP - but where's the best place to park for the Marshes - we want to see (talons crossed) RLB and SEO -

(usually have a RLB or two on Sheppey but not this year!)

We are raptor lovers so ......

any assistance gratefully received!

Corinna

Hello,
We parked here:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=646100&Y=301200&A=Y&z=120
Walked through the forest to the edge of the marshes, could see the RLB from there.

Never been before, was well worth the trip though. First the Great Northern Diver was showing off right close in to the shore. Then a red necked grebe. A little further on and a gathering of birders! Saw the Smew, Goosander, Scaup and with a little help from a nearby very helpful birder man the ring-necked duck. so all in all an excellent day.

I am new to the birdforum, but am enjoying reading all the reports and information. Hope may meet some of you on my birding outings. ;)

Sally.

Hi Sally, welcome to the forum, glad you had a good day, look forward to meeting you some time:eat:

Titchwell February 7th

Today's highlights

Twite - 25 on brackish marsh
Velvet scoter - 2 offshore with 3600 common scoter
Snow bunting - 10 on beach
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Mealy redpoll - 1 around visitor centre
Bittern - 1 in reedbed
Common buzzard - 1 over grazing marsh

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back