• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

I don't think they have fledged yet, apparently the cley ringed birds are from holland and germany and have brought their young with them.

Thanks Stuart, the only reply.

I wonder why the continental birds are so far ahead then? Not only fledged but also having crossed the north sea already?

Spoonbill is still a stunning capture for us land locked birders so I find it really interesting that the Norfolk birds are breeding successfully again. Don't take em for granted! Is news really that hard to come by?

Had pretty amazing evening at Strumpy: aside from single Little Egret and Green sand had adult male marsh harrier food passing to four healthy youngsters, mum was sitting it out on a stump at the western corner of the reserve and was able to view from the path at a distance of thirty yards or so: it was as if dad was looking after the kids so mum could have the night off! Either that or the female isn't well : (
A great sight Fred. I watched some food passes between an adult and these three juveniles last weekend. Probably the same birds. I can't remember whether it was a male or female, though.

Ron

Attachments

• Marsh-meeting-small.jpg
    Marsh-meeting-small.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 114
Had pretty amazing evening at Strumpy: aside from single Little Egret and Green sand had adult male marsh harrier food passing to four healthy youngsters, mum was sitting it out on a stump at the western corner of the reserve and was able to view from the path at a distance of thirty yards or so: it was as if dad was looking after the kids so mum could have the night off! Either that or the female isn't well : (

Sounds a great evening! Think Little Egret has been around for a while now, if its the same one! Good spot on Green Sand! Keep hoping a Common Sand turns up some day!
Fantastic on the Marshies, lucky enough to have a pair on land near the village I live in :)

sporting falcons

A Hobby while out running over Wiveton Bridge yesterday and today while playing Cricket an early Peregrine flew East over Blakeney playing fields also the Gropper is still reeling and showing along the Eastern end of Blakeney Bank

A Hobby while out running over Wiveton Bridge yesterday and today while playing Cricket an early Peregrine flew East over Blakeney playing fields also the Gropper is still reeling and showing along the Eastern end of Blakeney Bank

Cheers for the Gropper info, might have a look tomorrow :).
Great sightings of Hobby and Peregrine as well! Often see Hobby around the Wiveton bridge area!

Re: #12321

Daniel: people are reluctant to divulge information which is au courant on these, breeding now for only the fifth time in the last three centuries.

Some might think they are being over-protective, but attempts have been made to raid the colony. Other reserves along the north coast have been targeted this season, too.

There will be people reading this whose best interests are not those of the birds' breeding success.

Titchwell July 12th

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – seen 3 times over reserve during day.
Spotted redshank – 5 on fresh marsh
Ruff – 33 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 5 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 3 on fresh marsh
Knot – 800 roosting on fresh marsh
Whimbrel – 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Marsh Harriers seen again at local site as well as flocks of Goldfinch (including Juves) and Whitethroat....
Side point, does anyone know any warblers that would travel in groups of Whitethroat? Saw one today that I couldn't fully identify but it stayed very close to the Whitethroats at all times.
All I got was a big eye stripe and a greener overall colouring rather than the browns of a Sedge warbler as this was my gut instinct but it was in bramble hedgerows rather than reeds/marsh!
If I was to take a punt I would say Yellow-Browed but its far too early surely? Really took me by surprise!
Cheers

Last edited:
....Side point, does anyone know any warblers that would travel in groups of Whitethroat? Saw one today that I couldn't fully identify but it stayed very close to the Whitethroats at all times.
All I got was a big eye stripe and a greener overall colouring rather than the browns of a Sedge warbler as this was my gut instinct but it was in bramble hedgerows rather than reeds/marsh!
If I was to take a punt I would say Yellow-Browed but its far too early surely? Really took me by surprise!
Cheers
Bonelli's warbler? That would be very nice!!!! We haven't had a 'good' bird in Norfolk since the Caspian Tern! Did it have any wing bars? Note: Also Chiffchaffs can vary quite a bit in colouring. Whereabouts in Norfolk did you see this?

Penny:girl:

Marsh Harriers seen again at local site as well as flocks of Goldfinch (including Juves) and Whitethroat....
Side point, does anyone know any warblers that would travel in groups of Whitethroat? Saw one today that I couldn't fully identify but it stayed very close to the Whitethroats at all times.
Cheers

I'd go back to your gut instinct (I find they are usually correct anyway!) Maybe the colour was influenced by the surroundings you saw it in.

It seems as if 'my' little songster has now gone! I last saw and heard it on 3rd July. Just wondering if anyone else had encountered it after this date? If so could you please PM me with any details so that the record can be recorded(!) accurately!
Thanks

Bonelli's warbler? That would be very nice!!!! We haven't had a 'good' bird in Norfolk since the Caspian Tern! Did it have any wing bars? Note: Also Chiffchaffs can vary quite a bit in colouring. Whereabouts in Norfolk did you see this?

Penny:girl:

Think Bonelli's might be a bit pale? and not enough of a prominent eye stripe, which screamed out at me as the main feature.
From the views I had it certainly looked patterned rather than plain on the back, so yes I would say wing bars.
It was nothing like any of the Chiffchaffs I have ever seen, it just screamed different at me.
It was seen in the near Wighton this afternoon, on the Walsingham side.

I'd go back to your gut instinct (I find they are usually correct anyway!) Maybe the colour was influenced by the surroundings you saw it in.

Although my view was brief it was prolonged enough to get a good analysis of colours etc and it did stand out as being of a greener colour as opposed to browner on the back.
The eye stripe was the big thing for me, It was of sedge brightness but the habitat and overall colour of the bird doesn't fit.
Just wish I had my camera to hand when it appeared! Will look tomorrow and report back.

Although my view was brief it was prolonged enough to get a good analysis of colours etc and it did stand out as being of a greener colour as opposed to browner on the back.
The eye stripe was the big thing for me, It was of sedge brightness but the habitat and overall colour of the bird doesn't fit.
Just wish I had my camera to hand when it appeared! Will look tomorrow and report back.

Dont let the habitat put you off, they can be found anywhere, particularly at this time of year when young birds are wandering.

also, you said, 'looked patterned rather than plain on the back' another good feature. I find warblers with wingbars, look plain in pattern, but with disinct bars rather than patterns.

Hope you find it again tomorrow and can confirm it, alwys frustrating when something 'gets away'! Good luck.

Last edited:

Warbler sp!!!

Mystery solved! Went back tonight and got slightly better views....any guesses?
Wood Warbler...took my dad along and he got even better views and confirmed it.
Gorgeous family of whitethroat as well, and the marsh harriers were back!

Have u looked at a pic of an immature Willow Warbler

It seems as if 'my' little songster has now gone! I last saw and heard it on 3rd July. Just wondering if anyone else had encountered it after this date? If so could you please PM me with any details so that the record can be recorded(!) accurately!
Thanks

I am glad it stayed a good while , I enjoyed listening to it & seeing it with you on the 7/6:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back