• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

Thanks for the information, I have listened to plenty of songs online, and although it sounds similar to some, I haven't heard it utter that trilling in its song. I don't have any sounds recording equipment so if anyone can help with this that would be great. I have posted directions on the other thread for if by any chance anyone is in the area tomorrow.

Thanks again
Simeon

Is salthouse still the best place to try see nightjar ? We are in norfolk for a week with nightjar our main interest but salthouse last night was very quiet. That has worried me a bit .
Cheers

The warbler is still present this morning and I have got a sound recording of it, albeit rather poor quailty, but I'm unable to attach it to a post on here as it has a different file format...

Today's highlights

Common crane - 5 east @ 14:00
Wood sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Temminck's stint - 1 on fresh marsh early morning
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted flycatcher - 1 briefly along Meadow Trail

Another good day for our Wings over Titchwell event and we managed to beat the total of yesterday and record 117 species. Notable misses included spotted redshank, ruff and little gull.

Paul

A bitty day- not like Little Britain, I hasten to add

Not much to report today. The wind had swung around to the west and most things had moved off. Gramboro’ held its female Wheatear, morning and evening when, at 1645h, a 1S Spoonbill powered east, with the wind behind.

Cley NWT had a 1S Little Gull, from the Visitor Centre.

The Lesser Whitethroat continued at Friary Hills. And female Bullfinch again, after a long gap.

Two visits to Beeston Bog only produced this unusual pose for a Large White- no dragons, again.

Attachments

• 009psesm.jpg
    009psesm.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
After my adventures across the border, back to local birding this evening.
Strumpshaw Fen RSPB- couple of Cuckoos on the reserve, vocal but not seen. After much perseverance, the Blackcap on speed turned out to be a Garden Warbler. A Hobby was perched on a dead tree, and a pair of Marsh Harriers teased us, threatening to food pass but not delivering. Both Bearded Tit and Cettis were seen well for a change, as were Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff. So many Swifts were up high.
Weather for the week looks a little tame- very light westerlies according to bbc weather. Haven't checked magicseaweed before anyone jumps in! Are these westerlies too light to encourage an American wader or two? Or perhaps light enough for some overshooting migrants from the south to make it to our shores? About time we had a Purple Heron in the county, I see one is present at Minsmere today.
Cheers,
Jim.

Hey guys!

Popped over into your splendid county on a guided tour by a friend who has a holiday home in walcot, We left leicestershire 3 am yesterday and birded from Hunstanton till around 11pm when we dipped nightjar.

Hit leicester at 6pm today, The trip culminated in no less than 26 lifers Including such superb birds as dartford warbler, common crane, turtle dove and termnicks stint to name but a few!

Over 100 birds were taken in my short and thank all you norfolk for your chips and superb birding!
Dipped woodchat today though but hey who cares:)

Karpman

Buxton Heath quiet too.

Is salthouse still the best place to try see nightjar ? We are in norfolk for a week with nightjar our main interest but salthouse last night was very quiet. That has worried me a bit .
Cheers

I've just come in from Buxton Heath.
One quick churr at 21.15 another at 21.25 then nothing.
Left at 22.10 having realised I'd forgotten a torch and couldn't see a thing underfoot.

Left at 22.10 having realised I'd forgotten a torch and couldn't see a thing underfoot.

LOL, We got a couple of Chuurs last night one even going on for a few minutes, No sign of what must be a superb elusive bird.
Just wish i could remember the names of the places i have been and i was driving lol:eek!: Well you Nor folk do pronounce things a little differently to us land locked folk over here i mean Cley and some village that started with a H that fogs my memory.

Happy days for sure!

Karpman

Sunday 16th May - evening

Walsey Hills: garden warbler, blackcap, cettis' warbler, chiffchaff all singing in bottom Willows and several chaffinches and long tailed tits darting about - not alot else though! Some sad person has broken a section of the hand rail at the top of the steps.

Drove to Cley Coastguards to get my Sea fix and sat on the shingle drinking the remainder of my flask of coffee. Pied Wags flitting about, a swallow building a nest and a reed bunting zipping along and sandwich terns going west.

See my blog for rest of weekend's news and exploits and also Pete Snook's brilliant video of the Oriental Pratincole!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

based on recent post can people please stop divulging sites with rare breeding birds! or at least be more vague

No birds to report but a conversation with a friend about a fox that's putting in nightly appearances at my house led to an interesting observation she made last year and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or can offer an explanation...

She had a fox walking along the edge of a field with it's nose to the floor as if hunting, which was being followed by a muntjac deer about 6 foot behind which was copying the fox's behaviour. Everytime the fox stopped the muntjac would stop and then follow again when the fox continued. They eventually got to a hedgerow where they touched noses before continuing onto the next field together!

Is this just an example of how strange nature can actually be or is there a possibility the fox had raised the deer and was teaching it to hunt?

Chris

No birds to report but a conversation with a friend about a fox that's putting in nightly appearances at my house led to an interesting observation she made last year and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or can offer an explanation...

She had a fox walking along the edge of a field with it's nose to the floor as if hunting, which was being followed by a muntjac deer about 6 foot behind which was copying the fox's behaviour. Everytime the fox stopped the muntjac would stop and then follow again when the fox continued. They eventually got to a hedgerow where they touched noses before continuing onto the next field together!

Is this just an example of how strange nature can actually be or is there a possibility the fox had raised the deer and was teaching it to hunt?

Chris

Very peculiar behaviour, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks that! Muntjacs are herbivores so I doubt the Fox had much success teaching it to hunt if that's what it was doing!
I don't know if a Fox would ever adopt a Muntjac, I'd have thought the more likely thing for an adult fox to do if it found a young Muntjac would be to eat it I'm afraid.
In my opinion probably just an example of how strange nature can be...and the answer is...very!

based on recent post can people please stop divulging sites with rare breeding birds! or at least be more vague

But then we get criticised by out of county birders for withholding info. damned if you do and damned if you don't. The amount of visitors who have been harping on about there aren't any nightjars around - could it be the volume of noise and amount of people trapsing about at the traditional sites! Who knows, anyhow, I do agree with you B.R. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back