• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

This was just about the best view I had of this Parus, at Hempton NOA. I would imagine that someone will, very soon, let us know whether it’s Marsh or Willow, from the combination of colour rings.

The hide allowed my best ever view of Muntjac, feeding oblivious to my presence.
Hi John,

Re- Willow Tits

I went to Sculthorpe Moor reserve on Sunday afternoon. I had been told there are WillowTits there with blue rings. This place is a stones throw from Hempten NOA.
I do not know which leg they are on and not all have been ringed obviously.

The woods were pretty quiet until getting to Whittley hide. The feeders were very busy, plenty of Brambling (12+).
Soon a Willow Tit dropped in and I was able scrutinise it for at least 3 secs before it zipped off, never to return during my vigil there unfortunately. It had no ring though.

Simon.

Titchwell February 15th

Today's highlights

Short eared owl - 1 hunting over saltmarsh late afternoon
Smew - 2 redheads on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 3 on grazing meadow
Twite - 25 on brackish marsh
Snow bunting - 60 on beach
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore

Paul

Sorry all. Appears that I have caused a bit of an argument!

The Wood Warbler's (two pairs) at Bodham were in suitible habitat and were attempting to breed. I understand this was the first attempt in Norfolk since the early 1990's.

Birds were viewable singing from the footpath. One well known individual could not help himself!! The birds were disturbed and have not returned since, which is sad. As for the Monty's, not surprised in the least John.

The number of people involved are very small, with the same name(s) being repeated over and over again. One answer would be to cancel your subscription to a well known magazine!!

In a world of scopes, long lens and teleconverters why does it continue!!

Last edited:
Northern Harrier

Hi all,

I am in N Norfolk for a couple of days from Saturday.

I realise the Harrier is seen around Titchwell, Thornham, Thornham Point. Could someone please clarify where Thornham Point is, I assume up to the beach at Titchwell and turn left?

Is it the case that it tends to frequent the saltmarsh between Thornham and Titchwell and it is therefore best to head out to the beach to view, or are there other areas worth considering?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

which magazine is that ? Playboy ?

I just got back from 7 hours standing outside somebody's house in Oxfordshire, all for a brief flight view of an OTD. Was it worth it, probably not !

Stu. I presume you are not ticking it!!

Was neither aware Hugh Heffner lived in Norfolk nor that there was a playboy mansion at Cley!! Unless you know different Stu!!!!!

Hi all,

I am in N Norfolk for a couple of days from Saturday.

I realise the Harrier is seen around Titchwell, Thornham, Thornham Point. Could someone please clarify where Thornham Point is, I assume up to the beach at Titchwell and turn left?

Is it the case that it tends to frequent the saltmarsh between Thornham and Titchwell and it is therefore best to head out to the beach to view, or are there other areas worth considering?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom

The west bank path at Titchwell or the carpark at Thornham harbour are usually the best places to view the bird. If you want to go to Thornham Point, walk to the beach at Titchwell, turn left and walk to the bushes with the tower in.

Good luck

Paul

Mark,
A few things you should please try to remember when commenting....
a. All profits from the visitor centre's coffee ( is the van's fairtrade?) go back into the charity's coffures and filtered into conservation throughout the county, rather than an individuals personal wealth. Taste is down to the individual - some have an unusual pallette.
b.It is large numbers, noisy and constant disturbance by humans that probably contribute to birds being spooked these days, rather than a quiet individual sensitively going about their hobby ( Crikey John! I described you as sensitive....) though there are times when someone may just get too close - certainly any breeding birds abandoning a nest is not good news.
c. How many snowbunt strokers realise that it is wrong to put down or introduce seeds to a S.S.S.I such as Salthouse and this action is surely a selfish one?

Regards, Pat.

Last edited:
Mark,
A few things you should please try to remember when commenting....
a. All profits from the visitor centre's coffee ( is the van's fairtrade?) go back into the charity's coffures and filtered into conservation throughout the county, rather than an individuals personal wealth. Taste is down to the individual - some have an unusual pallette.
b.It is large numbers, noisy and constant disturbance by humans that probably contribute to birds being spooked these days, rather than a quiet individual sensitively going about their hobby ( Crikey John! I described you as sensitive....) though there are times when someone may just get too close - certainly any breeding birds abandoning a nest is not good news.
c. How many snowbunt strokers realise that it is wrong to put down or introduce seeds to a S.S.S.I such as Salthouse and this action is surely a selfish one?

Pat

thanks for the compliment!
In 5 years of putting seed down for the Snows and Laps at Salthouse, I have never seen any germinate. It gives everybody a chance to see these birds close to, without as far as I can see any effect on the environment. They are either eaten or the habitat is too harsh for them. Plus I have seen seed put down on various nature reserves.

Sorry Pat, but I would prefer to have a nice cup of coffee talking to birders out in the open than in the Cley centre, nothing personal!!

On a more bird subject, below is a pic of the hybrid Goose that was with the tame Ross`s and Barnies at Kelling and Cley last month. It was slightly larger than both species. Anybody any idea of parentage. Is it the bird that is now in the SE of the county.

John
http://kellingnaturegallery.fotopic.net/

John

http://kellingnaturegallery.fotopic.net/

Attachments

• -1146.jpg
    -1146.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Hiya,

I was feeding the rabbits with my kids this morning, when I heard a birdcall I recognised (or so I thought). I quickly shot indoors for my bins, and set about finding the culprit. It was still calling, excellent, it would be a new Norfolk tick for me and there has been reports throughout the county of sightings of this species. After a couple of minutes scanning the trees, there it was, in front of me. Was it indeed a RING NECKED PARAKEET? No, it was a damn STARLING. What an amazing clever bird they are!!

Cheers.
Fox.

Hi Pat. Thanks for your comments.

Since the demise of the beach cafe, competition in the cup of tea/coffee market at Cley has been somewhat limited! In respect of the visitors centre (a rather splendid building) it is well known that a number of local birders give the place a wide berth!!

I have to say that the staff at the centre are helpful and friendly, although with the exception of yourself most have little knowledge of birds! This is just my opinion, but the centre does appear to be geared up to sell books and food? That in itself, must be good for the trust, as it brings in money. I do feel however, that the centre needs to more than "a cafe with a nice view!" Pat I am sure you will put me right if I am out of line here!

As for my comments re coffee, I would suggest that the coffee van does represent better value for money! I accept you comments re individuals preferences here. As you know I have drunk my fair share of coffee at the centre over the years!!

As for the issue of disturbance, I agree that walkers and dogs are as much as a problem as birders. I think I recall commenting as such! My point remains, that a very small number of individuals (who are well known) spoil it for the majority.

For the record, I am not a "snowbunt stroker" - sounds interesting though!!

Hope you are well.

Regards.

Mark.

anyone
not seen this bird before but hopefully one of you may recognise the description it was on the ground feeder

at 1st rlass thought it was dunnock with a colored supercillium which is yellow
its chest was mottled and had 2 yellow stipes running from the top of the head down the back

looked in all my bird books and the dvd we have cant find it

any ideas

Titchwell February 16th

Today's highlights

Red crested pochard - 3 on fresh marsh
Smew - 2 redhead on fresh marsh
Mandarin - drake on fresh marsh
Twite - 26 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 2 on brackish marsh
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Velvet scoter - 5 offshore
Short eared owl - 2 hunting over saltmarsh late afternoon

Paul

“a playboy mansion at Cley” ? ?

I fear, alas, Mark spoke too soon. Taking to the air this afternoon, I was able to get this exclusive snap of the aforementioned Mansion. I’d wondered about all that scaffolding in the village ! Hugh was that for, methought ?

It appears the Windmill has gained floppy, auricular appendages, too.

As for the “snowbunt strokers”, I believe five years with hard labour is the minimum term.

Finally, Julian’s freshly-ground coffee is of the highest quality and, speaking as an erstwhile (on medical grounds) aficionado, some of the best on the north coast.

Attachments

• 003sm.jpg
    003sm.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 195
I fear, alas, Mark spoke too soon. Taking to the air this afternoon, I was able to get this exclusive snap of the aforementioned Mansion. I’d wondered about all that scaffolding in the village ! Hugh was that for, methought ?

It appears the Windmill has gained floppy, auricular appendages, too.
Made me smile. :t: I suppose any missed birds now will be described as 'Bunny Dips'.

Ron

Last edited:
First of all, as far as I know, no one photographer with any connections to any magazine went any closer to the singing male Wood Warbler at Bodham Common in May 2008 than any other. And, since the bird was singing constantly throughout, it was hardly stressed. Witness all the photos of it by numerous photographers on the internet at the time.
Although we did not visit it at all during June, there was a constant stream of photographers and birders visiting this delightful bird from when it became known (24th May) until at least 7th June (not 6th June as it wrongly says in the bird report). It was apparently first seen on 22nd May (not 24th May as it wrongly says in the bird report).
It was reported daily, often several times daily, on the pager and information services but, importantly, it was strongly considered to be an unmated male, which is why it was singing all the time. At the time, NOBODY reported a female, despite the constant stream of observers to the male. And certainly nobody reported a second pair - a second singing male was reported briefly (and I believe mistakenly - they were not heard or seen together as I was told at the time) on one date only.
As readers of this forum well know, some people can be devious and have their own agendas, so was the invisible 'female that was incubating but failed due to disturbance' (in the bird report) really true, or did someone simply make it up after the event to add weight to their selfish complaint about all the photographers and birders enjoying this bird? I don't believe there ever was a female (let alone two). Did any reader here see a female? If you did, why on earth didn't you phone the pager straight away and ask them to stop putting the news out every day?
If it had been known that there was a female, responsible photographers would certainly have backed off, as should all birders, of course. And for this spring, please let's share our birds. We all enjoy seeing them. If it's a singing male Wood Warbler, sadly, it'll almost certainly be an unmated male but, if a female is sighted, this vital information should be shared discretely.

John - that hybrid Barnacle has been with its escaped Barnacle and Ross's chums beside Bayfield Lake in recent days, along with the Greylags and a dozen presumably wild Whitefronts.

Last edited:
Sue G - I, too, was surprised when pointed to the bird report that a female on eggs had been present and failed due to disturbance, especially, as you say, up to the point that the reports were still being made on bird news groups. I visited on a number of occasions and spoke to many at the time and a female was never seen by me or mentioned by others (although I do believe I had a second male there, responding to the long stayer). Maybe the nest was found after the event, I don't know, but was saddened to read the report and wonderd why more wasn't done at the time - if there was anyone in the know.

Hi Tom

The west bank path at Titchwell or the carpark at Thornham harbour are usually the best places to view the bird. If you want to go to Thornham Point, walk to the beach at Titchwell, turn left and walk to the bushes with the tower in.

Good luck

Paul

Thanks very much Paul. The west bank and the beach should be a good route :t:

First of all, as far as I know, no one photographer with any connections to any magazine went any closer to the singing male Wood Warbler at Bodham Common in May 2008 than any other. And, since the bird was singing constantly throughout, it was hardly stressed. Witness all the photos of it by numerous photographers on the internet at the time.
Although we did not visit it at all during June, there was a constant stream of photographers and birders visiting this delightful bird from when it became known (24th May) until at least 7th June (not 6th June as it wrongly says in the bird report). It was apparently first seen on 22nd May (not 24th May as it wrongly says in the bird report).
It was reported daily, often several times daily, on the pager and information services but, importantly, it was strongly considered to be an unmated male, which is why it was singing all the time. At the time, NOBODY reported a female, despite the constant stream of observers to the male. And certainly nobody reported a second pair - a second singing male was reported briefly (and I believe mistakenly - they were not heard or seen together as I was told at the time) on one date only.
As readers of this forum well know, some people can be devious and have their own agendas, so was the invisible 'female that was incubating but failed due to disturbance' (in the bird report) really true, or did someone simply make it up after the event to add weight to their selfish complaint about all the photographers and birders enjoying this bird? I don't believe there ever was a female (let alone two). Did any reader here see a female? If you did, why on earth didn't you phone the pager straight away and ask them to stop putting the news out every day?
If it had been known that there was a female, responsible photographers would certainly have backed off, as should all birders, of course. And for this spring, please let's share our birds. We all enjoy seeing them. If it's a singing male Wood Warbler, sadly, it'll almost certainly be an unmated male but, if a female is sighted, this vital information should be shared discretely.

John - that hybrid Barnacle has been with its escaped Barnacle and Ross's chums beside Bayfield Lake in recent days, along with the Greylags and a dozen presumably wild Whitefronts.

Hi Sue. Thank you for your robust account outlined above. I would expect that no photographer linked to your magazine would ever put a good photo before the birds welfare. I would expect nothing less.

I accept, that any information in the Norfolk bird report (which you refer to) regarding the above birds is incorrect. It is highly unlikely, that a long staying and singing wood warbler would attract a mate. In fact to even consider this as a possibility, is just folly. Those who reported a female at the time were of course incorrect in their indentification. Snide rumours of disturbance by photographers have of course been invented by persons who are clearly misinformed.

I agree, that any problems with any disturbance of rare birds (breeding or otherwise) is clearly the fault of the pager services for putting out information! Of course if there was a female Wood Warbler, (which there was not) then releasing information re the site would have been reconsidered.

I recall that the birds concerned were easily viewed from the footpath. No birder or photographer needed to go into the wood for any reason, I am sure you would agree with this? I am happy to hear Sue, that you did not see any inappropriate behaviour on site.

Regards.

Mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back