• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

There are now reports of 9 species on the wing for 2009:
Large White
Small White
Green-veined White
Holly Blue
Peacock
Small Tortoiseshell
Red Admiral
Comma
Brimstone

I've not yet received any records for Speckled Wood or Orangetip, although both have been seen in other counties. As always, all records greatfully recieved either via a posting here or to [email protected]

Possible small copper at Dersingham Bog today.

That's very early, and there's a colony of day-flying orange underwing moths at Dersingham, which look fairly similar in flight. But since people are seeing damselflies already in other parts of the UK, anythings possible.

In other news, Speckled Wood has now been reported from Norfolk so we're up to 10 definate and 1 possible.

West Newton - Babingley River

Quite a few on the wing this morning around West Newton mill and river Babingley, around TF 687 254 and TF 695 256 in a two hour spell.

At least 7 Brimstones
4 Small Tortoiseshells
5 Commas
3 Peacocks
1 Red Admiral

Lakenham Way (TG2307) today:

2 Orange Tips
1 Speckled Wood
1 Small Tortoiseshell
3 Brimstone
2 Small Whites
and lots of Peacocks!

James

recorded at Swanton Novers wenesday
16 Peacock
2 Small tortoiseshells
6 Brimstone
2 Speckled wood
8 Green viened white
1 Comma

Last edited:
Today at Mousehold Heath, Norwich:

5 Large White
5 Peacock
2 Speckled Wood
1 Small Tortoiseshell

and 4 Green Hairstreak
First of the year so far.

The heath was full of Green Tiger beetles as well, and a grass snake!

Dersingham Bog~
Orange Tip
Peacock
Speckled Wood
Small White
Small Tortoishell

Bee fly sp.

Butterfly year list: 8 latest: Orange Tip & Speckled Wood

My garden (Blofield) today!
Orange Tip
Comma
Peacock
Speckled Wood
Brimstone
Green-veined White
Small White
Large White
Small Tortoishell
Red Admiral

Gypsy Lane, Titchwell

This afternoon down a very warm Gypsy Lane (TF 764 439):

13 Speckled Wood
2 Orange Tip
3 Small Tortoiseshell
6 Peacock
2 Small White

Hi all
Up to 11 for the year now. Weather dependant I be out looking for Dingy Skipper this weekend anyone now of any good sites for them? All i now of is narborough.

Only narborough and Foulden Common produced records last year. The following squares have records this century, but were not recorded in 2008: TF6533, TF6719, TF6819, TF7211, TF7311, TF7412, TF7500, TF7518, TL6699, TL6799, TL6989, TL6990, TL6998, TL6999, TL7088, TL7091, TL7098, TL7588, TL7599, TL7699, TL7793, TL8189, TL8498, TL8680. It would be really useful if anyone visiting any of these squares lets me know, not only if they do find Dingy, but also if they don't. This currently has to be the rarest species in Norfolk, and we need to know where it is.

My 1st Painted lady of the year picked up on farmland to the North of Swanton Novers today and a hell of a lot of orange tips ( 13 in one corner of a marshy field with Ladies Smock)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back