• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last Butterfly of the Year 2023 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Last day of really nice weather today (full sun, 19C +) for the time being according to the forecast.

Falmouth area, Cornwall - 2 Red Admiral, Peacock and 2 Large White in the garden, Speckled Wood and Small Copper elsewhere.

5 Butterfly species on the 6th too - 4 Red Admiral, 2 Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell on ivy where my car was parked, with 2 Speckled Wood and 2 Large White in another garden.

2 Red Admirals in the garden on the 3rd, since then we've had some pretty wet weather, so they may have been the last of the year here. It's sunny at the moment though, so you never know..........

Today while in Richmond Park a regular movement of Red Admirals in a vaguely southerly direction. Counted 18 but no doubt many more passed through. Also 1 Small Copper on Ragwort & in the gardens 2 Speckled Wood & a Small White.

Just came back from a 3/4 walk along a canal near me and saw plenty of several types, small whites, admirals, tortoiseshell etc etc, no dragonflies which were plentiful along there last week.

Sun back out today - and butterflies with it. All in/from the garden.

6 Red Admiral in the garden and on the ivy at the end of next doors garden, 2 Peacock, one released from inside the attic Velux window, one on the Buddlejah (one flowering sprig), 2 Small White (one on the same Buddleia and one resting on the Nasturtiums), and 1 Speckled Wood.

Same on the IOW southern beaches over weekend; do they migrate? They seemed to be constantly coming over the beach and then heading determinedly inland without stopping.
I thought they did, yes.

EDIT: Had to google as a reminder, but apparently they come up in waves from N Africa/Europe from spring onwards. Some manage to overwinter successfully UK (and increasingly so)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back