• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

I went out in the sun as well, got to strumpshaw at 7pm and managed a swallowtail! Latest I've ever seen one.
Today I managed several large skippers and orangetips - never thought I'd see those two on the same day. OT's running late, LS a bit early. Should be small and essex next, and silver-studded blue (if they're not out already?)

Large skippers amd Meadow Browns out at Swanton Novers today. As for swallowtails I do not realy beleve they exist ! After living in Broadland for 25 years until the 1980s and since having made 30 odd visits to Wheatfen\Strumpstraw\How Hill\ Hickling I have yet to see one , though David Nobbs did show me some caterpillars at Wheatfen. Swallowtail butterflies can be there the day before I go and the day after , but never the day I am there.

A day in the garden today. Saw Large and Small White, a male Orange Tip and a Speckled Wood, only the 3rd of the year here.

Also a worn looking Painted Lady on the dog walk this evening.

Silver Y in the garden today too.

Lewis

As for swallowtails I do not realy beleve they exist ! After living in Broadland for 25 years until the 1980s and since having made 30 odd visits to Wheatfen\Strumpstraw\How Hill\ Hickling I have yet to see one , though David Nobbs did show me some caterpillars at Wheatfen. Swallowtail butterflies can be there the day before I go and the day after , but never the day I am there.

If it's any consolation I've never seen a water rail. Heard hundreds, but the closest I've ever come is a foot that a bloke at the other end of a crowded hide assured me was attached to said mythical beast.

First silver-studded blues reported today from east rushton common, so I talked them up. Had the strange experience of seeing orangetip and large skipper on the same bush today: now that's not an overlap I thought I'd ever see.

PS We have no records for Little Ryburgh (TF92U or 9628), so if anyone goes looking at Honey buzzards, a quick detour would be very useful)

Last edited:
Large skippers amd Meadow Browns out at Swanton Novers today. As for swallowtails I do not realy beleve they exist ! After living in Broadland for 25 years until the 1980s and since having made 30 odd visits to Wheatfen\Strumpstraw\How Hill\ Hickling I have yet to see one , though David Nobbs did show me some caterpillars at Wheatfen. Swallowtail butterflies can be there the day before I go and the day after , but never the day I am there.

I can really recommend Strumpshaw at the moment. Yesterday 5+ seen mid-afternoon, showing ridiculously well. They had been showing well throughout the day and quickly came out with any moment of sunshine.

Attachments

• Swallowtail 1.jpg
    Swallowtail 1.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Swallowtail 2.jpg
    Swallowtail 2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Swallowtail 3.jpg
    Swallowtail 3.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Catfield went fairly well despite the weather. Somewhere between 11 and 30 swallowtails seen (I can't be sure if people were seeing the same butterfly twice, hence the uncertainty) plus brimstone, red admiral, small tort, large and small white.
Caterpillars of garden tiger, drinker and emperor moths impressed the visitors as well. We had around 60-80 people all told I think.

Unless we have some disasterous weather in the next 10 days they should be good for another 10 days. (If we have a run of unbroken rain so they can't fly and therefore can't feed, that will bump them off)

Just out of interest have there been any records of Rannoch Looper in Norfolk yet this year?? There is a bit of a mini invasion here in East Kent at the moment so keep your eyes peeled for the little critters, they flush easily in the day so follow that little yellow butterfly and you may be rewarded!

Attachments

• Rannoch looper.jpg
    Rannoch looper.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 70
  • Rannoch looper2.jpg
    Rannoch looper2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 71
Hi Ben,

there were 2 records last year (Scolt Head and Watton) but none that I'm aware of this year. However, judging by the amount being trapped across southern England it can't be long now!

All the best,

In other news dark-green fritillary and essex skipper now reported flying. (But not I suspect in todays weather - no leps at all today!)

In other news dark-green fritillary and essex skipper now reported flying. (But not I suspect in todays weather - no leps at all today!)

Well - almost none. Fortunately the one butterfly that appeared in a brief sunny interval at Strumpshaw was the one we wanted! A Norfolk Hawker was seen shortly afterwards, and then it clouded up again.

Attachments

• swallowtail5.JPG
    swallowtail5.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 104
First ringlets flying at Swanton Novers along with a very few medow browns , a scattering of large skippers , common blues , 8 speckled woods ( first time the survey has picked up more that 1 in a day this year ) and one large white & holly blue. A number of Broad Boardered bee Hawkmoths seen and brown silver lines everywhere.

Yesterday I had a go at finding my first swallowtail with the usual results. Hickling ,Surlingham , Strumpshaw all blanked. David Nobbs was taking photos of one 20 mins before I arrived at Wheatfen , but it had gone by the time I looked for it and while sitting at the New Inn at Rockland one flew across the pub car park. At that moment I was rummaging about in the car and missed it. 27 years of living in the Broads and my 31st attempt looking for them since moving away and still no luck. As I said before I do not think they realy exist!

Several brimstones seen at Wheatfen , but they posed the question , were they late overwintering butterflies or early 2010 brood ? its a funny time of the summer to see brimstones. Lots of dragonflies about including several Norfolk Hawkers and a very close Scarce chaser at Wheatfen.

Last edited:
A trip to How Hill on Monday produced my first Meadow Brown of the year.
Still no Red Admiral yet this year for me though :(

Chris

We found 2 Red admiral at the pingos on Thomson Common on Monday evening. The first of the year for us.
Also a single GVW and a speckled Wood and another Silver Y moth.

Lewis & Carol

Funny enough had a red admiral in the garden yesterday - not a common occurance even when they're abundant.
For swallowtails, commiserations. All I can suggest is the garden at strumpshaw around 4-5pm or how hill (pretty much anytime).
The brimstone are, I think, early new brood -although they usually emerge mid-july. Summer leps in general do seem to be a bit early.

Still waiting for Small skipper, gatekeeper and white-letter, but purple hairstreak was reported yesterday.

Funny enough had a red admiral in the garden yesterday - not a common occurance even when they're abundant.
For swallowtails, commiserations. All I can suggest is the garden at strumpshaw around 4-5pm or how hill (pretty much anytime).
The brimstone are, I think, early new brood -although they usually emerge mid-july. Summer leps in general do seem to be a bit early.

Still waiting for Small skipper, gatekeeper and white-letter, but purple hairstreak was reported yesterday.
Small Skippers are on the wing in the North east of England where i come from.I thought they would be on the wing in Norfolk now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back