• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Cambridge has green hairstreak and sussex has grizzled skipper reported flying. Both very early, and suggest that we should break records this year for earliest dates. A quick calculation based on the difference between sussex and norfolk's dates last year suggests we might get grizzled out in Norfolk by mid April (14th-18th?) The hairstreak though might be out now. Anyone passing could do a lot worse than check Foulden Common (TF7600) for either species.

Last edited:
That's the first orangetip of the year I've heard of. Also had green-veined white and large white reported today. So that's brimstone, OT, all 3 whites, small tort, red admiral, comma, peacock, painted lady and speckled wood reported so far this year. Holly Blue shoud be next.

Holly Blue in Downham Market at lunchtime today

Peacocks and brimstones from Barton Broad board walk at lunch time.

Brimstones now out, hadn't seen any before the weekend just gone. Only seen males so far.
Peacocks in far better numbers than during crash in Norfolk population.

Five Brimstones Sea Palling (20th) one Waxham (20th) one Hempnall (22nd) two Long Stratton (23rd), Comma Hemmpnall (15th), Peacock Waxham (20th), Small Tortoiseshell Hempnall (1st) Sea Palling (20th) Long Stratton (21st) Fritton Common (22nd) Burnham Overy Marsh (25th) Sculthorpe Moor (25th).

So where are all the butterflies ? I have been out most days in mid N Norfolk and on the North Coast for the past couple of months and recently we have had a number of days when I would have expected to be seeing early spring butterflies. The result has been one comma seen 10 days ago and nothing else. Its not looking a good start to the butterfly season in my area.

Can I add to Tideliners comment. Yesterday in 7 hours out in the north part of the Brecks albeit with the first 2 or 3 distinctly chilly, I saw the sum total of zero butterflies.

Can I add to Tideliners comment. Yesterday in 7 hours out in the north part of the Brecks albeit with the first 2 or 3 distinctly chilly, I saw the sum total of zero butterflies.
I had a similar experience at Strumpshaw yesterday with a grand total of one Peacock. It was completely different to a fortnight ago when there were butterflies all over the place.

Ron

First Orange Tip female of the year for me today at Burnham Overy, also my 8th Peacock - probably as many as I saw all of last year!

Holly Blue, same place this afternoon.

Dave

Last edited:
My first orange tip ( very stunted specimen ) of the year at Swanton Novers on friday along with my first brimstone. The only two butterflies seen on the survey , (though the temperature was marginal ) brings my total of butterflies for the year to 7 of 4 species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back