• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

I still can’t help feeling that the sight of the Whooper Swan at Felbrigg, at this season and in this weather, is rather bizarre. It seems to be completely comfortable, though- having made the new water meadow its patch.

I saw that bird a few weeks back when i was down there on holiday it was in the company of an Egyptian Goose then. I thought it was rather odd wasnt sure wether it was a wild bird or not.

Attachments

• tn_121.JPG
    tn_121.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 65
Purple Emperors

Just over the border in Suffolk: splendid views of PEs, Purple Hairstreaks, White Admirals and Silver -washed Frits

Attachments

• PE1.jpg
    PE1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 69
  • PE3.jpg
    PE3.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 65
  • PH.jpg
    PH.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 53
  • WA.jpg
    WA.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 65
Must have been at least 3 Silver-washed Frits at Holt CP this afternoon, we were treated to some excellent in-your-face fly-by views! They just would not settle though, only one gave itself up for a second or two. Still, a new Butterfly for me and in Norfolk too! Around 3 White Admirals also seen near/with the Frits, all a short walk from the carpark on route to the pond.
A Grayling was seen on the heath.
I was scanning the oaks for signs of fluttering, nothing doing.

Cheers,
Jim.

Just over the border in Suffolk: splendid views of PEs, Purple Hairstreaks, White Admirals and Silver -washed Frits

Some lovely shots there. I observed my first ever Purple Emperors in Hertforshire only yesterday, I won't forget them in a hurry! Pictures on me blog, although you really need to see these things to appreciate the behaviour.

Cheers,
Jim.

I had a look for White Admirals on Mousehold Heath today, without any luck. I did see at least three Purple Hairstreaks flying around an oak north-west of Vinegar Pond, and also:
Small Skipper, Small Copper, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Gatekeeper, Large White, White sp (Small or GV) and Comma.

White Admirals were out in the Brecks yesterday. Found them at the usual spot at Gt. Hockham.

Lewis

Attachments

• P1020419.JPG
    P1020419.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P1020413.JPG
    P1020413.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 49
In the wild flower meadow opposite Drayton's Green Lane car park, there were about 10 brown argus, 15 large skippers, one small skipper, 2 ringlets, several meadow browns and a gatekeeper.

Managed my best Big Butterfly count so far today at a site near Poringland. Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Comma, Gatekeeper, Large White, Small White, Essex Skipper, Large Skipper and one individual that has thrown me! I would appreciate it if folk could have a look on my blog where I have posted the picture (can never seem to post pictures on here). The Butterfly sat with its wings closed, and in flight moved quickly and I saw little colour other than dark brown. The habitat was long grass, woodland edge with many wildflowers nearby.
Feel free to leave a comment here or there (I have to verify them on my blog due to spamming).
I was thrilled to see not only many Skippers (need to get my eye in on these again) but also at least 3 6-spot Burnet Moths.

Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
Hi Jim
The fore-wing isn't showing fully in your photo. The eye markings (on the fore-wing) would be revealed if the butterfly adopted a more 'open' posture.

cheers, Kieren

Ah ok, many thanks. I think this year I am looking at our Butterflies more closely than ever before, still on a learning curve when it comes to the finer points. I had seen loads of Meadow Browns up to this individual, so to know they can appear in such a posture is good to know. First instinct right, but learnt something.

Paul- The Oak Egger Moth is labelled as such, the (ex) problem picture is further down, but Meadow Brown seems to fit the bill.

Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
Holt CP

Dropped in on the way home from Pensthorpe (No: I WON'T be posting any pictures here of Cranes / Beardies etc!)
Saw three Silver Washed Frits that wouldn't pose, as well as several White Admirals that would! Also 'scored' a good haul of Dragonflies!

Attachments

• WA1.jpg
    WA1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 58
  • WA pair.jpg
    WA pair.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 66
  • SWF.jpg
    SWF.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 57
Silver wedding ?

A timely ‘phone call and, 5 minutes later, I was viewing this carnal act. They were joined for ages, one or other occasionally and weakly opening, then closing, a wing or two.

The male (on the R of the couple) has a tiny nick missing from its right forewing.

In the vicinity were White Admirals. One posed nicely- if, apparently, defying gravity. Gorse (aka Furse) provided a temporary, if prickly, obstacle.

Attachments

• 001pse.jpg
    001pse.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 155pse.jpg
    155pse.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 101pse.jpg
    101pse.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 68
Butterfly Shopping

A male Meadow Brown was busy doing some window shopping in the Superdry store in Norwich this morning but unfortunately on the wrong side of the glass, whilst a Small/Essex Skipper was busy browsing the shop windows as it made its way up St.Stephens this lunchtime.

On another track, I took the following photo of a caterpillar at Holkham on Tuesday. Any ideas on ID?

Attachments

• DSC_3035.jpg
    DSC_3035.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 49
A male Meadow Brown was busy doing some window shopping in the Superdry store in Norwich this morning but unfortunately on the wrong side of the glass, whilst a Small/Essex Skipper was busy browsing the shop windows as it made its way up St.Stephens this lunchtime.

On another track, I took the following photo of a caterpillar at Holkham on Tuesday. Any ideas on ID?

Cinnabar Moth

Paul- The Oak Egger Moth is labelled as such, the (ex) problem picture is further down, but Meadow Brown seems to fit the bill.

Cheers,
Jim.

Edited the reference to the oak eggar out, when I realised I had misread the pictures and labels. :eek!:
The Butterflies of Great Britain by Thomas and Lewington has an illustration on page 265 showing how meadow browns escape attack by hiding forewing behind hindwing and so concealing eye-spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back