• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (3 Viewers)

Hi David, a week ago, I had several Walls, along the Open access footpath, that runs from Marsh road, Halvergate to Wickhampton ( past the sewage works).

Broadland Business Park

I saw 10+ Common Blues near the Waterside Cafe Lake in Broadland Business Park today. The wildflower seed mixes seem to be doing their job. This is the most Common Blues I have seen this year...but then I don't get out much ;)

Also at Strumpshaw Fen, there were lots of Peacocks, 1 Comma, 1 Red Admiral, several Speckled Wood and several Gatekeeper as well as the usual Whites.

Cheers

Steve

P.S. I saw a single Wall Brown (I'm old fashioned) a couple of weeks ago at Cantley Sugar Beet Factory.

I saw 10+ Common Blues . . . This is the most Common Blues I have seen this year...but then I don't get out much

Even if you did get out more, Steve, I don’t think it would do you much good with this species: 10 is almost a remarkable count for this season (and you have remarked on it!). I saw one or two yesterday at Gramboro’ where, previously, there were hundreds at this time of year.

Posts #1061-64 show this forum operating at its best. Within a few hours, answers to a specific query have been furnished.

In the end, I didn’t need to go seeking others’ Painted Ladies, but saw them on one of my patches. I’d already noted that Stevie G had snapped one at Gramboro’ on 12th inst., but saw none there yesterday- despite a good search of the immense spread of Buddleia.

This morning, 2 PLs were accompanied by a similar half-dozen Peacocks to yesterday. One is depicted: note a small notch missing from the anal angle of the right hind-wing.

I looked with slightly greater diligence for Common Blues- finding 5.

Other Salthouse Buddleia (along ‘the front’) held a few more Peacocks, Red Admirals and Commas.

The Beach Road was quickly filling up. Yesterday, I’d not seen so many cars parked along it since a certain Blyth’s Reed Warbler took up short-term residence on t’Hill.

Attachments

• 098pse.jpg
    098pse.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 101pse.jpg
    101pse.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 38
The Beach Road was quickly filling up. Yesterday, I’d not seen so many cars parked along it since a certain Blyth’s Reed Warbler took up short-term residence on t’Hill.

Salthouse beach car park provides free access to the beach so bound to be crowded.

I started off at Haddiscoe (railway) station, half a mile down a dead end off the Yarmouth Beccles Road.
A buddleia by the station platform had 20+ peacocks on it and 10 or so small torts with small numbers of gatekeepers and commas too.

The grass heath at Herringfleet Hills (Suffolk!) had small heaths and small coppers in good numbers.

Last edited:
Salthouse beach car park provides free access to the beach so bound to be crowded.

I’d rather not be tied up at Salthouse, thanks, Paul.

A return to Gramboro’ this afters revealed at least one new Painted Lady. A careful look at the right hind-wing (again) of my photo below, shows a split near the apex.

The one snapped from this a.m. had different slight damage, as described in my #1067. The other this p.m. was not this one.

Attachments

• 195pse.jpg
    195pse.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 47
Stumpshaw RSPB this afternoon: Every buddlia had between 15 and 30 peacock, along with small tort, commas and the odd red admiral. At least 200 peacock in total - absolutely amazing. We also had 3 Brimstone, 3 Gatekeeper, 3 Meadow Brown, 3 Speckled Wood, 5 Small White, 1 Green-veined white, c5 Common Blue and a single Holly Blue.
Strumpshaw Tip this morning had similar numbers on each buddlia - perhaps 120 in total, plus a couple each of common blue, gatekeeper, speck wood and meadow brown. Just one red admiral but c20 Small torts.

Can't get over the peacocks here, all fresh and newly emerged, absolutely magic,

At least 200 peacock in total - absolutely amazing

It's just as well 'our' Peacocks are not quite as vocal as the avian ones, Andy: the din would be deafening.

In furtherance of this ridiculous train of thought, I saw some butterfly CDs at the Bird Fair last week- and had the fleeting idea that they were of their calls !

Will go in quest of the Gramboro' PLs today, to see if there are any more identifiably new arrivals.

At last! Endlich! Enfin!

Thanks to the fabulous tip from Tommy (and 'Harrassed'!) I finally connected along the path from Wickhampton to Halvergate: seven in 20 yards!
Thanks again guys: this is how co-operative wildlife watching can be!

Attachments

• Wall 1.jpg
    Wall 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Wall2.jpg
    Wall2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 59
A highly unco-operative Grayling joined the throng, in an uncharacteristic pose at the Gramboro' Buddleia.

One Painted Lady, a Comma, a Small Copper and a half-dozen Peacocks formed the remainder of the assemblage, when I visited this morning.

My first painted lady of 2012 in Sprowston this afternoon, west of the Wroxham Road.

Unexpected in a suburban back street!

Paul: I would have been much happier if you had capitalised your “painted lady”- confirming that you were, in fact, writing about butterflies.

not many people take the trouble to mention just how beautiful the experience can be.

Ron: thrilling, too.

My best butterfly experiences in this regard were in, respectively, Texas (Zebra Swallowtail), Spain (Apollo) and Romania (Camberwell Beauty) The first and last pitched down at my feet (!). I had quite a chase, up and down scree-filled slopes, for the other.

However, there are few sights to beat the combined glow of dozens of Team GB Red Admirals on ivy, towards the northern end of the westernmost track at Warham Greens and in the late afternoon sun.

Attachments

• 1102psesm.jpg
    1102psesm.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 288pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    288pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 163psecrop.jpg
    163psecrop.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 45
Holly Blue laying eggs on the ivy in my garden yesterday. Well that's what I assumed it was doing. Reasonable shot of full on thorax action on blog.

My butterfly ID is ropier than my bird ID, so happy to be corrected on any of the above!

You wouldn't believe how envious I am of your Camberwell Beauty, John. It is my dream butterfly and was the most thumbed page in my Observers Book of Butterflies when I was young. I have never seen one but I live in hope. My sister and brother-in-law think they might have glimpsed one in their orchard in Haddiscoe a few years ago but are not sure. One day ... ;)

Going off on a tangent, I haven't seen any Humming-bird Hawk-moths year and I can't recall reading many reports of sightings. Are they few and far between this year?

Ron

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back